Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Airbag Light on after seat swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 03:04 PM
TypeRx
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just ordered a Durametric Enthusiast -- will update the thread with hopeful resolution after I receive the unit.
Old 10-27-2015, 12:20 AM
TypeRx
Racer

Guys - I used the Durametric Enthusiast to try and figure out the source of my airbag warning light.

What came up was:

8039 - Driver's belt tensioner below lower limit
803A - Passenger's belt tensioner below lower limit

I was not able to clear these codes -- they keep re-appearing.

Just to refresh, I swapped different seats as well as front and rear seat belts. The front seat belts were sourced from LA Dismantlers...the rears from a forum member.

So, good news is there doesn't appear to be a bad module/airbag in the seats. Bad news is the belts (presumably the fronts only as they are the ones with tensioners). It is possible I failed to fully secure the connections to the belts...so I'll have to pull the panels apart to check that. However, I am pretty sure I clipped both in securely. I guess another possibility is that the belts are bad..but both? If the donor car was in an accident (presumably), are the pre-tensioners essentially dead from that point forward?

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I'll contact LA dismantlers as well.
Old 10-27-2015, 03:40 AM
JAGMAN1
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

I'm no expert on this, but my understanding is that the pyrotechnic pre-tensioners are dead after an accident if they were activated. Is it possible to swap the belt webbing from your old belts to the replacements?
Old 10-27-2015, 10:23 AM
TypeRx
Racer

Yeah, that is what I am worried about (pretensioners already deployed) but am a bit surprised LA Dismantlers or other like companies would sell them like this without any disclosure. I still can't be sure that is he issue with my set though - but I am thinking it is the most likely scenario.

RE: my old belts - I removed/replaced and sold them so I can't test. But they clearly worked without error.

I am thinking I may need to buy take-offs from someone else (that were not activated) or brand new ones from Suncoast...
Old 10-27-2015, 11:43 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 159 Posts

This happened to me with the same codes after removing my seats. I also removed the battery, waited 30 minutes, left key in house, blah blah blah, but still got the lights. I think it was a loose connection when reassembling the airbag connector. It required a dealer reset and has not come back on since. That was in April of this year.
Old 10-27-2015, 12:36 PM
TypeRx
Racer

I'll do a semi-uninstall of the belts this weekend and test resistance across the terminals on the pre-tensioner units. From what I've seen online, they should read a consistent between 2-3 ohms. If it is variable or much lower then it is bad pre-tensioner. However, this may not be specific to the Porsche units, so who knows.

It's possible I failed to seat both connectors properly, but I am skeptical since it is pretty dummy proof. I've also reached out to LA Dismantlers to find out if they test these units before selling on.

Now, what you have said is quite interesting as it was related to the seat swap, not belts. I also swapped seats. I looked at the plugs and they were seated well but again, another thing to check this weekend since I'll have the battery disconnected anyways.

Finally, does anyone know if the tensioner codes could be caused by the buckles? The seats I swapped in were not in a prior accident and had only ~7500 miles on them but I guess anything is possible. Worst case, I could swap in my old seats (really don't want to lug them back out though) and see if that changes anything....
Old 10-27-2015, 12:38 PM
TypeRx
Racer

Originally Posted by nwGTS
It required a dealer reset and has not come back on since. That was in April of this year.
PS -- did you clear the code with a Durametric but still require a dealer reset?
Old 10-27-2015, 01:10 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by TypeRx
PS -- did you clear the code with a Durametric but still require a dealer reset?
Yes. Every time I started the car after the code reset, those two codes reappeared.

EDIT: Just reread this. I did NOT try to clear with Durametric first. I did not have access to one so I needed a dealer visit.

Last edited by nwGTS; 12-04-2015 at 04:23 AM.
Old 10-27-2015, 01:52 PM
TypeRx
Racer

Argh -- this is frustrating then. I have no problem going to the dealer but I need to make sure the parts work before doing so. I don't want have them reset the code only to have it recur and have little way to assure that the parts are fully functional. In retrospect I should have swapped the seats and belts at separate times to at least help isolate what caused the fault in the first place.....
Old 10-27-2015, 08:51 PM
TypeRx
Racer

Does anyone have a list of 997 error codes, especially for the airbag module. I want to try and see if the error I have is definitely caused by the seat belts rather than my seats as part of troubleshooting, especially since I don't have an extra set of front seat belts lying around.

I asked Durametric and they told me they don't share the codes and to consult the factory service manual. Surely someone here must have a list? If you dont want to post please feel free to PM me and thanks!
Old 12-03-2015, 06:41 PM
tobetheprince
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Icarsoft owner

Originally Posted by Dennis C
The whole thing is odd to me. I never put the key in the ignition when I had my console out, but I got an airbag warning light after I was finished. All it took was a simple reset at the dealer, and there were no other issues.

I ordered the iCarsoft POR II unit recently, but I haven't used it yet. Apparently it can clear airbag warning lights.
I was falsely assured that the iCarsoft POR II unit would clear my airbag light too, waste of money. Spend the money on a durametric unit.
Old 07-09-2024, 09:07 AM
Perauto
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is an old thread but I have just has the same issue and corrected it so I thought I'd share.

I've just changed the seatbelt webbing on a customer's car and on rebuilding it had the errors listed. It wouldn't clear with my Autel MS906 and live values showed the resistance on the passenger side seat belt tensioner was 0.6ohms. It should be about 2.5ohms. It was an easy fix, the connector for the tensioner has an orange clip on top, you have to make sure it is firmly pushed home, it will click into place and takes a bit more effort than you might think. I was doing live readings when I discovered this and it changed from 0.6ohms to 2.5ohms instantly. The code cleared and there is no airbag light.

Hope it helps someone!

Quick Reply: Airbag Light on after seat swap