Sponsored by:

Airbag Light on after seat swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 05:47 PM
TypeRx
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Airbag Light on after seat swap

Guys - I just finished swapping some 997 adaptives with Alcantara for my full leather adaptives. Both sets are heated. Both are from 997.1 turbo models.

At the same time, I replaced all 4 seat belts. Battery was disconnected while the work commenced.

Upon starting my car, I had a variety of errors (psm, abs, etc) that cleared by themselves after a couple minutes of driving. However, my airbag light has not cleared after 3 or 4 starts and about 70 miles of driving.

I don't have a durametric so I can't provide additional info on the fault.

I'll recheck the connectors under the seat to make sure they are seated properly. Before doing that, I'll disconnect the battery for a while.

Any other suggestions? I can go to an Indy or the dealer to have the light reset, but obviously would prefer to avoid that. also, is it possible the light could be due to a poor connection or faulty seatbelt pretensioner.
Old 10-11-2015, 05:55 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,559 Likes on 976 Posts

It's most likely illuminated because you disconnected the battery. You'll need a trip to the mechanic or a Durametric to reset it.
Old 10-11-2015, 06:44 PM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Did you have the key fob in the cabin while doing the work?
Old 10-11-2015, 07:01 PM
TypeRx
Racer

No, key fob was somewhere else in the garage I believe. Probably about 10 feet away. Airbag light on after a simple battery disconnect is pretty lame. But then again, ill keep my fingers crossed that there is nothing wrong with the airbag modules in the seats I just swapped in!
Old 10-11-2015, 07:13 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

I disconnected my battery to install a new painted center console and I got a CEL that required a dealer reset. I agree; it's lame.
Old 10-11-2015, 07:17 PM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

How about the seat belt wire. You had to disconnect to swap seats right? Are you sure you positioned correctly when you reconnected it to the harness?
Old 10-12-2015, 09:11 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,761 Likes on 4,302 Posts

I swapped the seats in my '05 997 a few years ago with the batteryvdisconnected. Upon reconnect, I got the normal PASM error, but no airbag warning lights. I have a feeling you may have a bad seatbelt or airbag in one of the seats, or a bad connection somewhere.
Old 10-12-2015, 11:48 AM
TypeRx
Racer

I looked at the airbag connectors under the seats and both appear to be seated properly. When i have some spare time later this week I'll disconnect the battery, passenger and driver's seat connectors, and reconnect everything. Doubt it will fix anything but worth a shot.

I did replace the seat belts as well -- I guess I can pull apart the interior panels again to make sure the belts are plugged in properly but would prefer to avoid . Good thing is that I have the known working belts still, so I can test those. However, will a seatbelt problem trigger the airbag light? I guess if the pre-tensioners are faulty anything is possible.

Final question -- will the Durametric Enthusiast version give me significantly more detail on this (eg, driver's airbag module not functioning) and allow me to clear the fault, or do I need the professional version? This might be a good excuse to pick up the enthusiast version if so....
Old 10-12-2015, 12:03 PM
Function-First
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Putting the key in the ignition contact without the seatbelt latches or seat wiring harnesses connected will give you an airbag error code. (the seat belts are part of the SRS system)

The Durametric Enthusiast will show exactly which part of the system the error is caused by, and will allow you to clear error code. You can't clear the airbag lights without actually clearing that code - ie. driving the car xx miles or disconnecting/reconnecting the battery won't ever clear the airbag light.

Comprehensive Shifting Solutions for your Porsche.
Old 10-12-2015, 01:18 PM
TypeRx
Racer

Great -- thanks for the info. I never put the key in the ignition without harnesses connected (as far as I can tell) but the seatbelt latches were not inserted (you mean belt buckle into receptacle, right?) when I started the car.

Regardless, sounds like a great reason to pick up a durametric.
Old 10-12-2015, 02:12 PM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

I would look at swapping out the seat belt receptical with your old ones. There is a very good DIY here on RL for adding GT3 seats.,,.same process for changing the seat belt receptical. That and a durametric and you are all set.
Old 10-12-2015, 03:00 PM
TypeRx
Racer

Hmm...why would I need to change the seat belt receptacle? I still have the ones from my stock seats ('07 TT) but the seats I swapped in ('09 TT) should be compatible I'd think.
Old 10-12-2015, 04:11 PM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

I say that because when I changed out seats on my 996 I had to re-use the receptical. They can go bad but on your new / used seats both go bad at the same time? Doubt it..you are good to ask questions....try the Durametric 1st.
Old 10-12-2015, 04:57 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

The whole thing is odd to me. I never put the key in the ignition when I had my console out, but I got an airbag warning light after I was finished. All it took was a simple reset at the dealer, and there were no other issues.

I ordered the iCarsoft POR II unit recently, but I haven't used it yet. Apparently it can clear airbag warning lights.
Old 10-12-2015, 06:26 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

OP - can't explain why you got the airbag warning light, but once you get it, you do need to clear the code in the ECU. A reset with the stalk won't work. Either Durametric or PIWIS can do the job.

Quick Reply: Airbag Light on after seat swap