Sponsored by:

997.2 GTS/X51 Induction Noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 07:22 PM
92C2Targa#119
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default wow GTS

WOW What options did it come with at that price?

Replace the X's with your vin:
https://admin.porschedealer.com/repo...XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 10-11-2015, 09:58 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by mikes70
If you don't mind me asking, how did you find it? in others words what website did you use? mike
I was just using the usual suspects. Cars.com, autotrader.com, and cargurus.com with occasional checks on the Porsche locator. The only difference is I have been checking once or twice a day for the last two months for cars in my target range and a little outside of it. I was looking for 997.1 S models at $35k-$45k but left more cars in the search range. This one popped up one day and just looked too great to pass up on, so I called right away and ended up buying it and driving it home less than 12 hours after I saw the listing. From the comments on this thread, it sounds like I did better than I thought.

My wants and price range were both quite flexible or I wouldn't have been able to catch this deal. I had previously noticed a low priced 991 S with less than 10k miles at a Mercedes dealer on the east coast and the dealer seemed like he would negotiate down a bit further, but the asking price was a bit too far out of my range. I missed two or three deals that I couldn't quite afford. After deciding on a 997 to reduce costs, my price range was pretty flxible. I'm wondering if OEM, non-Porsche dealerships are the key. I'm pretty sure the only reason I got this price is it matches the KBB value for a GTS with higher miles and the dealership didn't look for that type of disagreement.

The car was a four year lease traded in to Fletcher Jones Mercedes in Newport Beach, a volume dealer that moves 600+ cars a month. They had the KBB value on the window, and I suspect they made a decent bit of money off the sale, so their trade-in appraiser must have bought it from the prior owner for a very low price. The tires are a bit worn, so I suspect that's why the scheduled lease return turned into a trade-in a month before it was up. They gave me the Carfax - no accidents show, and the maintenance reports didn't show anything outside of normal fluids and checks. Back in 2012 the "clutch start switch" was replaced twice and the catalytic converter was also replaced, and otherwise it was fluids and such at a Porsche dealer. It seems to have been well taken care of.

Sorry this is so off topic though - I really am loving the car, and that's what brought me to rennlist. I ordered a Bluetooth audio adapter, and I may end up ordering a Sharkwerks bypass pretty quick. I had the wife expecting me to spend $40-45k though and instead I spent a bit over $60 after California taxes figured in, so at least this year the stellar car is going to have to be my only major prize for the savings!

Last edited by ace37; 10-11-2015 at 10:29 PM.
Old 10-11-2015, 10:01 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 92C2Targa#119
WOW What options did it come with at that price?

Replace the X's with your vin:
https://admin.porschedealer.com/repo...XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
I thought it was a pretty nice build:
https://admin.porschedealer.com/repo...AB2A94BS720805
Old 10-11-2015, 10:04 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

By the way thanks for the warm welcome all!

My last car was a 2010 Nissan 370Z nismo, and it was a great car with great performance, but to me it just never had enough soul. I really enjoy the feel that Porsche creates - this car seems to offer a lot more than just the sum of the parts!
Old 10-11-2015, 10:31 PM
mikes70
Rennlist Member

Received 254 Likes on 137 Posts

Thanx for the reply. that is exactly what i'm doing too. twice a day on the big three, here, and PCA and PCna and patiently waiting for thee C2S. I looked (and passed on two GTS's) and will find the right one soon enough (although its been two months and i thought id find it by now)

congrats on the car, she's beautiful....(i'd look good with a Raider sticker on the back glass lol).
Old 10-11-2015, 10:51 PM
996scott
Rennlist Member

Received 215 Likes on 132 Posts

$58K is too good to be true. WOW. $10k under priced from what i have been seeing. Way to go!
Old 10-11-2015, 11:29 PM
Cloudspin
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Great deal on a well equipped GTS. Enjoy!
Old 10-12-2015, 10:28 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

997 Carrera S and GTS values have been falling. I saw this happening around 8 months ago....glad I sold mine when I did. GTS is the king of the Carrera's....widebody, rear wheel drive, x51 engine...very sports car like...only thing better is a move to the GT3 models.

Only problem with GTS I found was...center lock wheels, brakes, especially the fronts and non height adjustable suspension...for a street car this is fine for for any serious track use you really need to get rid of center locks, put on gt3 front calipers with the 350mm turbo rotor and get some better coil overs and adjustable sways.
Old 10-12-2015, 02:40 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums
997 Carrera S and GTS values have been falling. I saw this happening around 8 months ago....glad I sold mine when I did. GTS is the king of the Carrera's....widebody, rear wheel drive, x51 engine...very sports car like...only thing better is a move to the GT3 models.
Did you pick up a different toy to replace it yet?

My initial thought was to just keep riding the motorcycle this next year and order a GT3. I knew there was a wait list but figured it would be easy - give them a check and a spec in exchange for a production/delivery date, then wait a year or two for my production date to come and pick up the car at MSRP. After spending some time on the configurator, I went in to my nearest dealer and asked, planning to give them an order. They told me how they manage supply for new GT3s/GT4s and how in-the-dark a buyer is through the process, and I left a bit disappointed.

Honestly though, for me I suspect a used GTS or well-equipped S plus a true race car (an old FF, a new Stohr, it doesn't really matter) would be a lot more fun than a new GT3 alone. While maintaining the race car would be costly, the experience is worth a premium and the budgeting/accounting and risks are all a lot cleaner than with an expensive dual use car. And I'm probably not normal on this one, but I'd absolutely love to see a GTS with a hitch pulling a FF on an open trailer!

Originally Posted by mdrums
Only problem with GTS I found was...center lock wheels, brakes, especially the fronts and non height adjustable suspension...for a street car this is fine for for any serious track use you really need to get rid of center locks, put on gt3 front calipers with the 350mm turbo rotor and get some better coil overs and adjustable sways.
Yeah, I was a bit concerned about the center lock wheels being a pain, but as to the suspension and braking limits you mention I just figured for me it's a street car first and I'm ok with some compromises in my track experience. I was thinking the brakes were up to the task though... I suspect they are until you get too good, and I'm not sure where I am on that spectrum...

I like to get out to the track, but I've tended to go around 5x a year just using aggressive street tires and pads. Drive in and drive home, and my lap times can suffer - I have a great time any time I can make it out there, and I'm not particularly competitive in nature. For limited track use like mine I'm hoping the center locks and such aren't too big of a frustration.

I am surprised Porsche decided to add that center lock "feature" instead of for instance a few GT3 suspension parts. The latter seems like it would do more to either increase GTS sales numbers or justify higher list prices. Perhaps they wanted to make sure the GT3 halo wasn't diminished?
Old 10-12-2015, 03:45 PM
beetleything
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Lovely

Quick Reply: 997.2 GTS/X51 Induction Noise