Sponsored by:

Centerlocks and winter tires?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 10:21 PM
Maxhouse97
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Centerlocks and winter tires?

What do you guys do (for those of you who drive your GTSs in the snow)? Keep the same rims and mount new tires every year x 2? Or do you get additional wheels with snow tires? This can't be cheap.

Seems like another challenge around owning CLs (I am asking because I am considering a GTS).
Old 10-07-2015, 10:01 AM
SamDaMan
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The hierarchy of wisdom wrt CLs is (in descending order of board preference as best as I can tell!):

1) Find a GTS with 5-lug, or convert (~5k)
2) 5-lug or CL, consider two complete pairs of summer and winter wheels and tires (wheel and tire set for CLs can run 5-8k, depending on how fancy your wheels are, plus installation and storage if you're not a DIY-er)
3) If not different wheels, at least swap tires for the winter (~2k plus install)
4) Go all-season

I went to the bottom of this list and mounted Conti DWS on my CLs in January. I considered the summer/winter tire dance, but I have an SUV for the days when DC gets a lot of snow (probably ~10/year?). This way I can drive my GTS year-round on the same tires.

The DWSs are stable in rain, slush, light snow, and hot weather. I've not had any problems with spirited driving. Do I push this car beyond 7/10? No, I'm not good enough, and certainly wouldn't on the street anyway.

I wouldn't track them, but other than that they're working for me. If I were to track this car frequently I would swap to summer and winter tires (or just use the DWs in winter).
Old 10-07-2015, 10:43 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 144 Likes on 113 Posts

Your USD would work well here. $1500cdn. Doesn't sound like he want to ship. Get out your silver tongue...

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-tires-rims/ci...ationFlag=true

Friends don't let friends wear tennis shoes in snow.
Old 10-08-2015, 09:12 PM
Maxhouse97
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 26 Posts

Was worried about that - sounds expensive.
Old 10-09-2015, 12:50 AM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SamDaMan
The hierarchy of wisdom wrt CLs is (in descending order of board preference as best as I can tell!):

2) 5-lug or CL, consider two complete pairs of summer and winter wheels and tires (wheel and tire set for CLs can run 5-8k, depending on how fancy your wheels are, plus installation and storage if you're not a DIY-er)
3) If not different wheels, at least swap tires for the winter (~2k plus install)
4) Go all-season

5) Move South. Drive your summer tires year round. Buy a rust free beater Honda for occasional snow days cheaper than options 1-2. Pay for it with the housing differential. Rent the Honda to your snowbird in-laws. Delta is ready when you are.
Old 10-09-2015, 01:37 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by SamDaMan

4) Go all-season

I went to the bottom of this list and mounted Conti DWS on my CLs in January. I considered the summer/winter tire dance, but I have an SUV for the days when DC gets a lot of snow (probably ~10/year?). This way I can drive my GTS year-round on the same tires.

The DWSs are stable in rain, slush, light snow, and hot weather. I've not had any problems with spirited driving. Do I push this car beyond 7/10? No, I'm not good enough, and certainly wouldn't on the street anyway.

I wouldn't track them, but other than that they're working for me. If I were to track this car frequently I would swap to summer and winter tires (or just use the DWs in winter).
Wait a minute- two complete sets of wheels and tires? What about track and autocross? Surely you mean three!

Quick Reply: Centerlocks and winter tires?