Sponsored by:

997 or 997 gt3?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 04:07 PM
Madturk
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 49 Posts

All good advice.. Thank you guys.
Despite how much I love the GT3.. They are expensive.
I do not need back seats in fact it'll be stripped in no time. I'd love to do 10 track days/year. That is kind of optimistic as I haven't been able to do any this year. In fact, I haven't had any time to do any track days the last 4 years. I am hoping I will have more time starting next year.

Today I came across this and this might change all my plans. This one is a long shot.
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/cto/5241909003.html
A 996 GT3 drivetrain in this thing and it could be a great thing.

So may options out there. By the time I move on a car I think I will change my plans 34 more times

I am leaning towards what Pete has done. I think I may want to go his way and get a 997 and do the mods and get rid of the dead weight. Seems like the most logical and economical way to get what I want.
Old 10-05-2015, 04:38 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

When I was looking at getting a Porsche over 5 years ago, I had to make the same decision. I really like the way a GT3 looks compared to a regular 997. GT3's value isn't anywhere near what it is today. I could had one for $10K more. But in the end I choose a 997 C4S with a GT3RS bodykit and a TPC turbo. My justification at the time was, I needed the backseats, did take my kids to school with it. I don't need the hard clutch, I plan to drive it everyday. I like the wide body of C4S better than the narrow body of the 997 GT3. I don't track it enough to appreciate the GT3. I thought to myself, when I am ready to buy a GT3, I will. Boy am I wrong. The GT3 value has increased, my C4S has decreased. I can't just buy a GT3 anymore w/o taking a beating on my current 997. The GT3 is rare and my C4S isn't.
Old 10-05-2015, 05:53 PM
Madturk
Three Wheelin'

Ynot,
post some pics please. Your car look badazz.
Old 10-06-2015, 03:38 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

You really seem to like modding, and like cars that are projects... so I think best is a 997 Carrera S, then spend the money saved for actual TRACK day cost (as you haven't done in a few years), and then just mod/enhance if you need it after doing some track sessions.
Old 10-06-2015, 09:36 AM
Madturk
Three Wheelin'

You are right. I do like modding because the factory plays a marketing game with just about every model with the exception of cars like Gt3 etc. I even ended up spending nearly $30k on my f355.
I've been on this rodeo with a 360. I couldn't afford the 360cs and ended up with a 360. By the time I was done I had $50k in it. The car ended up as one of the nicest 360s out there. Did I end up losing all that $$$? Yes. Was I happy with my car? Yes!
At the end if was able to buy a 360cs I would have recoop all my $$$ because of the resale value. This time around when I buy this car I'm not planning to sell it. Shoot, now that I think about it when I started the 360 project I didn't plan to sell it either. Hmmm
Another thing is when buying a car it's though to put that big pile of $$$ up front for that special model like the gt3 or the 360cs. Buy the sub model for MUCH less with little cash is easier on the bank account and with the wife. Once you have the car spending few bucks here and there is less of a burden. It ends up a lot but again you don't feel it as bad I guess.
I'm not happy about spending so much on it but at the end it makes it right I feel. I know I'm throwing my $$$ out the window. The thing is I'm a perfectionist. Until the car is perfect in my eyes it's not complete. If there is opportunity for improvement(whatever that maybe in a car) I must do it. I wish I could be satisfied with the way cars are from the factory.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:53 AM
mk3boy
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

If you can buy the gt3 from the start then go for it. I didn t want to swing the extra 25-30k+tx for the gt3 2 years ago. I love modding and doing mods so I found a low mileage c2s because I prefer the most rustic 997.1 . Car had 34k km when I purchased it and I drive it hard and I love the car. I was lucky to find one with the options as I wanted carrara white, ceramics, sport seats, chrono and alcantra roof. Pics are as it sits now with pretty much every bolt on mods except lca.
C2S is a killer car also I would love to see one with bolt on mods race a gt3 to ser difference
As for track duty I'm sure it could take the beating I have friends that track alot their 996 with no issues. It comes down to maintenance
Attached Images   
Old 10-06-2015, 11:20 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,594 Likes on 4,192 Posts

Originally Posted by Madturk
You are right. I do like modding because the factory plays a marketing game with just about every model with the exception of cars like Gt3 etc. I even ended up spending nearly $30k on my f355.
I've been on this rodeo with a 360. I couldn't afford the 360cs and ended up with a 360. By the time I was done I had $50k in it. The car ended up as one of the nicest 360s out there. Did I end up losing all that $$$? Yes. Was I happy with my car? Yes!
At the end if was able to buy a 360cs I would have recoop all my $$$ because of the resale value. This time around when I buy this car I'm not planning to sell it. Shoot, now that I think about it when I started the 360 project I didn't plan to sell it either. Hmmm
Another thing is when buying a car it's though to put that big pile of $$$ up front for that special model like the gt3 or the 360cs. Buy the sub model for MUCH less with little cash is easier on the bank account and with the wife. Once you have the car spending few bucks here and there is less of a burden. It ends up a lot but again you don't feel it as bad I guess.
I'm not happy about spending so much on it but at the end it makes it right I feel. I know I'm throwing my $$$ out the window. The thing is I'm a perfectionist. Until the car is perfect in my eyes it's not complete. If there is opportunity for improvement(whatever that maybe in a car) I must do it. I wish I could be satisfied with the way cars are from the factory.
We're kindred spirits - good or bad

You're right about starting with the lower priced car and being able to do the projects in stages. That's what I've done with my C2S over the past 3 years, and just now I'm to the point where I consider it finished.

Did the same thing with my 928 Spyder, but on that one I had a lot of the mechanincal work done for me - didn't have the time - and just focused on the little things and redoing the interior. That one only took 9 months and working A/C is the last piece of that puzzle (parts ordered last week).

The 914 took me 4 years, but that was a while ago and my wife's 911 wasn't nearly as extensive since it's a DD and she just wanted a little different look, but not a lot of mechaniical changes, although we did do a color change so it was a lot of disassembly & reassembly - putting most of the same parts back on.

The good news is with the mods to my 997, I have a full set of spares for hers (PASM suspension, motor mounts, etc) since it has about twice the mileage.
Old 10-06-2015, 04:11 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Ynot,
post some pics please. Your car look badazz.
Here are some old pictures, I haven't taken any new ones for a couple of years. My bro-in-law just polish and wax mine and he said it now glows. Now I just have to pick it up from his house and take some new pictures.

Last edited by Ynot; 10-12-2015 at 02:11 PM.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:22 PM
Madturk
Three Wheelin'

That is seriously nice.
Is that stock body?
Looks a bit wider??
Thanks for the pics. I'd be happy with a car like that.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:27 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

That is seriously nice.
Is that stock body?
Looks a bit wider??
Thanks for the pics. I'd be happy with a car like that.
It's a C4S with a GT3RS body kit so it's wider than a C2S, GT3, etc. Same width as a turbo and GT3RS. I like it, it's fast and reliable.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:40 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,594 Likes on 4,192 Posts

Yup, in my opinion Ynot has one of the best looking black 997s on here - Psymon has another with the rear ducktail if you want to see what that looks like. Nice work guys.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:46 PM
SJP3003
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DC911S
Get a S with a X51 kit and aero package, adda few mods…..then call it a day.
BTDT exactly 1 year ago...very happy with the choice (6MT). If I were tracking it more, I would have preferred the GT3 by far, but this is a great car for memorable road trips and occasional track days.
Old 10-07-2015, 12:44 AM
Madturk
Three Wheelin'

The only thing that bothers me on the gt3 is the narrow body. I thought the c4s and the c2s were both wide bodies��
Old 10-07-2015, 01:47 AM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

i have both 997.2 c2s as well as 997 gt3 - my points to you...

-- as mentioned above, 10 track days a year is plenty, if you are really doing 10 days a year year after year, you should have a gt3

-- c4s is widebody but carries 4wd hardware extra weight - unless you are tracking plenty in the rain, its not a good tradeoff imho...the magical thing about 997's (or any porsche) as track cars is their very favorable power to weight... adding 200 lbs weight via 4wd no bueno. 4wd also somewhat dilutes steering feel (another hallmark 997 911 magical element)

-- u like to mod it seems, and if you want a very quick, easy-to-drive car to track, then go for a pdk 7.2 c2s and have at it with all the mods. you will get the suspension very close to a 7gt3, and have a nice, powerful engine, but it will not respond and thrill like a mezger, which imho is the absolutely real deal - i thought i loved my c2s 9a1 dfi mill with evosit tune and shark center muffler delete... until i drove a mezger... then, in one lap, game over

-- if u like a stick shift, i think a gt3 is superior in feel in that department

-- the choice also depends how fast you are on track... if beginner to intermediate, then regular 997 with mods may be fine (and narrow vs wide rear hardly matters performance wise)... you need to be pretty good driver (and with a manual) to get the most out of a 7gt3, but if you are, you will appreciate the difference - to quote my buddy SSTHO on this board, 'the gt3 is absolutely sublime'

-- you said you don't care, but i will mention this... buying a 7gt3 even at today's higher prices will likely hold its value over time... 7.2 c2s with mods will not... plus your mod $ will be discounted by a half or more the day you install them

-- last point, important one... the 7gt3 is NOT a good daily driver. if you are going to DD this car, or take alot of trips with it (not to a racetrack), go for a regular c2s. this having been said, the more you mod a c2s to be a track weapon suspension and power wise, the more you will diminish its user friendliness on the road... unlike the 991GT3, in the 997 generation it is hard to have that cake and get to eat it too

hope this helps

Last edited by golfnutintib; 10-07-2015 at 02:03 AM.
Old 10-07-2015, 01:58 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

If it's your one toy than GT3 absolutely. I personally went with a Carrera S complimented with other hardware in the garage. The Carrera is permanent - if replaced, likely will be another of the same. I compliment if with a nasty V8 - this time round it's the new Shelby GT350. Considering an R8 down the road, few other cars interest me for the cost.

Quick Reply: 997 or 997 gt3?