997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spare tire In a can

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2015 | 10:03 AM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

The last two flats I had over the years were screws. I actually used a screw driver to remove them.

Funny, I just assume guys are carrying basic hand tools with them: Flashlight, basic screw drivers, duct tape, etc.

And... know where your wheel lock is.

And... you can always plan ahead and figure out 'worst case scenarios'. The beauty of this on-line information age is knowing what's along the route and how far dealers, indies and even Rennlisters are.

I live for road trips. Mapquest and Google maps ease a lot of concern.

I'll take a mobile phone over a spare tire any day. Get truly stuck without a cell phone signal and then you'll realize how vulnerable you are.

And... a lesson from boating: Share you trip details -- your float plan, if you will -- with someone.
Old 10-04-2015 | 12:30 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Really good point about the cellphone. GasBuddy, WAZE, even access to brand-specific forums, all good to have along. Also very important for an ageing 997 is a long tweezer to pluck bits of rotting foam from behind the AC vents before it blows out and into your or your passenger's face.

I've had AAA since I was 16, but the problem with a Porsche is I wouldn't trust anyone but a Porsche shop to work on a mechanical problem.

With tires it's not likely to find any in stock for except near a big city. Probably would need to have Tire Rack ship to the local installer. If the tire blew on a Friday or late Thurs it would be Mon or Tue before you got back on the road. If your time is flexible that's not such a big deal. If you're on a schedule, it could be a major problem. I usually am, which is why I rent cars if I'm going more than a reasonable tow distance from home.
Old 10-04-2015 | 01:44 PM
TOPGUN8
Intermediate

Default Porsche without a spare is ********

I bought my 2010 C4S in Miami with 13,000 miles on it and on the way back I had a tire go flat. It had a screw in the sidewall at the curvature. I stopped at a tire dealer in a little town off I-75 and they wouldn't touch it and they didn't have a tire in my size. So, I asked them to remove the tire and I would use the jell that Porsche provides to try and fix the leak until I could get to Atlanta and a Discount Tire store. I used the jell, squeezed the whole bottle in, they pumped it up for me and I drove to Atlanta at 50 miles per hour on I-75. I can imagine people looked at me and said" what's that guy doing driving a Porsche at 50 mph" on the highway. That's the maximum speed Porsche suggests. Well, I got to Atlanta without a problem and replaced the tire. The jell works but it's very corrosive and needed a good cleanup of the rim. I would rather not have do it again, but it does work at $75.00 a bottle.
A flat in a Porsche with no spare is a big pain in the *ss.
Old 10-05-2015 | 12:39 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

I have in my Frunk, tire goo, air pump/battery jumper, wheel wrench, jack, 2x4 to raise my lower car up enough to get the jack under, plug kit, work gloves and pliers.
First thing I do on every car, is ditch the wheel locks. The only person it slows down, is the owner.
Bad guy just smashes the window to get the key in your glove box, or frunk. But really? They're going to take the whole car....
If your going the spare tire on the rear shelf route? Make sure its secure. 4o lb rim and tire will give you more than a headache. Plus you need the jack and wheel wrench. Once you changed that rear 305 tire with the small spare you had in the back? Where are your going to stow that huge 305 beast. On top of the golf clubs?

Quick Reply: Spare tire In a can