Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question in regards to TPMS

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2015 | 03:42 AM
Louis de Funes
Rennlist Member

Default Question in regards to TPMS

So I was one of the luck once to get my hands on a set of the 997 Sport Classic Wheels during the 50% Sale from Suncoast.

At 1st I had planned on selling the Wheels that are on my Car ( Carrera Sport Wheels ). I had some people show interest but nothing come of it.
I never took it any further to put them up in the Classified Section as I came up with the idea of perhaps making them my Winter Wheels.

I am thinking now once I get the new Wheels mounted ( I am re-using my Tires and the TPMS as they are about a year old ) and than would use the Wheels currently on my car during the Winter ( which requires me to purchase a set of Snow / All Weather Tires - not sure yet which once but perhaps there is a Tire that most of you use and have gotten good results out of. Any recommendation is very much appreciated.

So to make a long story short here comes the question about the TPMS.
Is it absolutely necessary to have these installed or can I skip this and just get a set of Tires and call it a day.

I am guessing the down side would be that there would be some sort of error message when the Car does do not detect the Sensors. But besides this I do not know what else would / could be an issue. This is my 1st car with such a system.

Has anybody ever done this - would you advise against it or would this not be a big deal at all.

thank you very much in-advance for your feedback and taking the time to read this.

Last edited by Louis de Funes; 10-03-2015 at 11:25 PM. Reason: removed pictures and rest of text
Old 10-03-2015 | 10:34 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

I like Pirelli Winter SottoZero tires. I bought aftermarket TPMS sensors for just over $100 each and they work well. I don't think you'll have any issues other than an error message if you skip the sensors.
Old 10-03-2015 | 11:42 AM
Macster
Race Director

While I had my 2008 Cayman S only a short time I quickly came to really like the TPMS feature. Much like being able to check the oil level at my convenience being able to call up and view the tire inflation pressures was quite convenient.

Given the proclivity of these cars and their tires to pick up something and have a tire go flat I think were I you I'd have the TPMS sensors on the winter wheels too.

That you can apparently pick up aftermarket TPMS sensors for $100/each vs. God only knows what the factory ones cost seems to me to be a real no brainer.
Old 10-03-2015 | 12:31 PM
06C2s
Racer

I bought the other set from Suncoast and have decided to keep my Lobster claws for track days when the new Porsche experience opens here in SoCal. I will run TPMS in both sets, having the new ones installed with the new rims and tires.
Old 10-03-2015 | 04:32 PM
ogun228
Rennlist Member

All you will have is an annoying warning in red.
Old 10-03-2015 | 05:07 PM
Santi
Rennlist Member

I can get you a set of Alligator Ventilafabrik GMBH (german) sensors with valves for 250 shipped, these are what are in my track wheels on my Carrera GTS
Old 10-03-2015 | 07:34 PM
Kuhl997.2!
Pro

Seems like every time I have sold the original wheels that came with a car wished I hadn't for one reason or another. So towards that end I recommend just keeping them and just swap the existing tires and sensors on to the new rims. Your mileage may vary. Cheers Paul
Old 10-03-2015 | 11:24 PM
Louis de Funes
Rennlist Member

thanks for all the replies.

I am going to keep the wheels and just get some after market TPMS.
Old 10-04-2015 | 12:51 PM
Kuhl997.2!
Pro

If your sensors are working properly then save your self $400 and have your tire shop swap out the sensors all that is needed is a new adhesive pad $60 a set.

Cheers

Quick Reply: Question in regards to TPMS