Sponsored by:

2008 problems- smoking, burning oil

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 07:43 PM
motopix
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rickdogg82
Out of curiosity, what did the gauge read that made you feel you needed to add a quart? Warning?
Isn't the entire gauge range about one quart?
1 line = 1/2 liter
Old 10-01-2015, 10:07 PM
Jd1368
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rickdogg82
Out of curiosity, what did the gauge read that made you feel you needed to add a quart? Warning?
Isn't the entire gauge range about one quart?
Yes it was flashing under the bottom line and said to add oil so I put in a quart. It went to the top line after that. A little driving later and it was flashing again under the bottom line, so I put in another quart but it only read half full with the 2nd quart. Times like these I wish I had a dipstick.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:51 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Jd1368
Yes it was flashing under the bottom line and said to add oil so I put in a quart. It went to the top line after that. A little driving later and it was flashing again under the bottom line, so I put in another quart but it only read half full with the 2nd quart. Times like these I wish I had a dipstick.
OK,it's not a dipstick but this does not sound right. Did you check manual to find low oil warning light and proceed as directed? When and by who was oil filled before this happened? Low oil warning (if that is what you are describing) is rather severe condition. I've got an 06 so they may have changed something but warning light indicates really low oil level.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:04 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 377 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by gpjli2
OK,it's not a dipstick but this does not sound right. Did you check manual to find low oil warning light and proceed as directed? When and by who was oil filled before this happened? Low oil warning (if that is what you are describing) is rather severe condition. I've got an 06 so they may have changed something but warning light indicates really low oil level.
My 06 gives a warning when it is 1 quart away from full. Not really dangerously low but time for actions for sure.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:05 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
My 06 gives a warning when it is 1 quart away from full. Not really dangerously low but time for actions for sure.
Hello. As I recall from top of bars (overfill) to 1st step is .2 qt. the next two bars are .4qt. I thought the Cel for low oil was like "only a couple of qts left in the engine. Shut it off" Is there a red ! before Cel? I don't recall but OP is talking about adding oil by the quart and it still reading low. And I thought burning oil--> dark smoke. Curious stuff this.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:17 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gpjli2
Hello. As I recall from top of bars (overfill) to 1st step is .2 qt. the next two bars are .4qt. I thought the Cel for low oil was like "only a couple of qts left in the engine. Shut it off" Is there a red ! before Cel? I don't recall but OP is talking about adding oil by the quart and it still reading low. And I thought burning oil--> dark smoke. Curious stuff this.
I've had the warning before and have never added more than a half quart at a time and was back on the meter.
Old 10-03-2015, 12:24 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

From the manual found here...
http://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf...rrera_PCNA.pdf

Page 154.

“Check engine oil level” display

The on-board computer display “Check engine oil level” is an additional measurement that takes place in the background while driving.

The display depends on the distance travelled. This display appears if the oil level has reached the minimum mark or if the oil level is well above the maximum mark.

The difference between the minimum and maximum marks on the segment display is approx. 1.3 quarts (1.25 litres).
One segment of the display corresponds to a top-up quantity of approx. 0.42 quarts (0.4 litre).

It does mention that if the warning light is displayed to re-check and if needed, add oil immediately. But, the margin for the light to be triggered is 1.4 Quarts from maximum fill.
Old 10-03-2015, 02:47 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
From the manual found here...
http://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf...rrera_PCNA.pdf

Page 154.

“Check engine oil level” display

The on-board computer display “Check engine oil level” is an additional measurement that takes place in the background while driving.

The display depends on the distance travelled. This display appears if the oil level has reached the minimum mark or if the oil level is well above the maximum mark.

The difference between the minimum and maximum marks on the segment display is approx. 1.3 quarts (1.25 litres).
One segment of the display corresponds to a top-up quantity of approx. 0.42 quarts (0.4 litre).

It does mention that if the warning light is displayed to re-check and if needed, add oil immediately. But, the margin for the light to be triggered is 1.4 Quarts from maximum fill.
Ok, reading the manual eh?

That's about what I had recalled. The issue though is that there are two oilwarning lights. One is "check oil level" and is fairly benign, I guess is the one you reference. The second warning (same oil can with no wavy line beneath it-could at least used a different icon) is as follows "Stop Immediately At A Suitable Place" and then says add oil, etc. Never seen that one. If you miss the first I guess you get the RED ! as in "you have an important message". Miss second one and you may get the red check engine light. Hope to never find out.

I guess the question that only OP can answer after he brings car in is what really happened here? Hopefully he will follow up.

Thanks for the info.
Gerry
Old 10-06-2015, 12:40 PM
Jd1368
Intermediate

Just got a call from speedsport tuning in Danbury where I bought it. Based on symptoms they're concerned about cylinder scoring and are going to dismantle and check the borescope now. Hopefully dealer warranty covers a new engine or I'm screwed... If there is scoring are there options besides replacing the engine?
Old 10-06-2015, 01:10 PM
rickdogg82
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jd1368
Just got a call from speedsport tuning in Danbury where I bought it. Based on symptoms they're concerned about cylinder scoring and are going to dismantle and check the borescope now. Hopefully dealer warranty covers a new engine or I'm screwed... If there is scoring are there options besides replacing the engine?
It might be a good idea to also have someone other than the people that have to honor the warranty look at it.
Old 10-06-2015, 01:14 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 230 Likes on 142 Posts

Not really. What kind of warranty do you have? Is it Fidelity or Porsche? Go read the fine print.
Old 10-06-2015, 01:50 PM
Jd1368
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DC911S
Not really. What kind of warranty do you have? Is it Fidelity or Porsche? Go read the fine print.
It's through pro certified, given as a standard 3 month warranty through the deal for no extra cost. Image below is promising, and there is also a line that in lieu of repairs a full refund may be issued for the vehicle. I trust this shop as they have a stellar reputation as some of the best out there.
Old 10-06-2015, 02:11 PM
JayRace
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pretty sure from reading what I see on your warranty image that you would not be covered for cylinder wall scoring. It sounds like one of those warranties that only covers mechanical breakdown arising from a failed internal part and at the very bottom doesn't it say "Warranty excludes the repair of engine valves, piston rings, and cylinder..."
Old 10-06-2015, 02:12 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 230 Likes on 142 Posts

Hmmm....cylinder scoring is usually not caused by a bad oil or water pump. It will be interesting to see how this turns out. If I were you, I would ask to get my money back, and give them the car back to them. You had it a short time, they want not give you the full refund but it should be close. That or a new engine.
Old 10-06-2015, 02:33 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

If this had happened to me and the dealer wouldn't take the car back or pay for a new engine I'd be on the phone to my attorney to see if the consumer protection laws in the state were on my side.

Quick Reply: 2008 problems- smoking, burning oil