Nordschleife Master

Received 573 Likes on 342 Posts

looks very hot to me.
Old 09-21-2015, 05:37 PM
dc2000
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
I thought you weren't supposed to powder coat these rims because they're a pressure cast and the heat can effect the integrity of the cast. Maybe I'm wrong but I know I've read that somewhere.
Originally Posted by EMC2
I vote for gloss black also. The look is great. I personally prefer the narrower machine lip like you have, which is also what I did.

Sorry to hear about the quality issues you had; that is really unfortunate. I too would be concerned about letting the same shop touch the wheels again.

Good luck
Hi EMC2, do you have pictures of your car?
Old 09-21-2015, 08:09 PM
BradS71
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really like the look. I too have a meteor gray car and have thought about black wheels. Definitely agree with you that the machined lip should be wider.
Old 09-21-2015, 09:32 PM
EMC2
Burning Brakes

Received 433 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by dc2000
Hi EMC2, do you have pictures of your car?
I do - not the same wheels but hope it helps:
Below are 3 pics in very different lighting conditions, to give you an idea of how visible the lip is. The machined lip on my wheels is approx 5/16 inch for reference.

Old 09-21-2015, 10:07 PM
dc2000
Instructor

Looks great EMC2! Thanks for sharing. I love your stance BTW. What suspension are you running?
Old 09-21-2015, 10:12 PM
EMC2
Burning Brakes

Received 433 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by dc2000
Looks great EMC2! Thanks for sharing. I love your stance BTW. What suspension are you running?
Thanks dc2000
Here is the full thread of my suspension upgrades:
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...r-install.html
Old 09-22-2015, 12:44 AM
alleykat
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This isn't the first time there is a lot of misinformation about powdercoating from people here.Not trying to sound like an a-hole just speaking from an experience stand point instead of a I think I heard stand point.No powdercoating will not hurt wheels doesn't matter whether its cast or forged.Also if your wheel is flaking its 90% likely because the shop didn't sandblast "mediablast" them before the coating.You gotta be a real noob at coating to make your powdercoating flake.You sure they didnt paint them?

PS i have owned a company and have been p-coating myself for 5 years now and counting.I have done countless wheels.
Old 09-22-2015, 01:44 AM
dc2000
Instructor

Originally Posted by alleykat
This isn't the first time there is a lot of misinformation about powdercoating from people here.Not trying to sound like an a-hole just speaking from an experience stand point instead of a I think I heard stand point.No powdercoating will not hurt wheels doesn't matter whether its cast or forged.Also if your wheel is flaking its 90% likely because the shop didn't sandblast "mediablast" them before the coating.You gotta be a real noob at coating to make your powdercoating flake.You sure they didnt paint them?

PS i have owned a company and have been p-coating myself for 5 years now and counting.I have done countless wheels.
I disagree with your assessment. While powder coating likely doesn't have a significant impact on most wheels for street use, it could on wheels pushed to the limits. I took a class on structures and materials and can tell you the heating and cooling of metal always has some affect on the properties. It all depends on how the heat is applied, in what sequence, and to what material. With the variation in types of aluminum and manufacturing process, powder coating is going to affect certain wheels more than others.

Regarding my wheels, yes, they are indeed powder coated. I saw my wheels when they were media blasted. The problem is the powder coat was applied too thinly to the barrels of the wheels. I guess the shop only pays attention to the face of the wheel. Dumb if you ask me. Once the coating starts to flake in one area, it could easily spread. I'll keep you guys posted on what happens after I'm done dealing with the shop. While it's easy for me to just forget about the imperfections, I don't want the wheels to bite me in the *** later down the line if the finish doesn't hold up.
Old 09-22-2015, 01:48 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 762 Posts

This may help ...

http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/...ting-my-wheels
Old 09-22-2015, 06:03 AM
Ten Years
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by alleykat

Uh, yeaaaaaah. Try the search button. Use it as many times as you'd like. Forged wheels cannot be powder coated unless the temp and duration are monitored very closely. There are limits to both, and over doing it will make your wheels brittle. Countless examples out there on the web. Cast wheels are another matter. I'm done with this discussion, but anyone can find the correct info. It's just a matter of doing your research.

Quick Reply: Powder coated my Carrera SII wheels - Pic