Sponsored by:

Cracked windshield

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 03:26 PM
malexgcab
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cracked windshield

Front windshield approx 2-3 inches from the passenger A pillar. There is a bullseye and an inverted L shaped crack. It is almost under a size of a dollar bill due to its unusual shape of the crack.

Any RL member used Safelite (or other repair shop) to get it repaired or replaced?

Is windshield just a dealership item (since it has the radio antenna)?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-08-2015, 04:28 PM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I used Safelite. Porsche of Orlando uses them too.
Old 09-08-2015, 04:48 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

Price the dealer and safelite.
Do you have windshield replacement as part of your insurance coverage?
Is it out of pocket?
Fast forward 10 more years. When your getting your car appraised/judged, will Porsche windshield glass get you the concourse award, at the car show?
Same price? or close? I'd choose the dealer Porsche glass.
Plus you have someone to yell at if the radio or Nav does not work.
If you do use the Safelite people. Make sure you show them that all your radio and Nav works when you drop it off.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:15 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,419 Likes on 861 Posts

Use the dealer. I have many experiences and Safelite can be really sleazy both giving me misinformation about what is in my insurance policy and installing non-OEM glass.... that has visual warps in it.

Check out my threads

Thread on glass 1

Thread on glass 2

Another interesting thread:

OEM vs Non OEM glass

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 09-08-2015, 06:50 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

no matter what installer, use a porsche windshield. Normal cost is about 2200, the labor is under 200 for most all installers. I recommend using whoever porsche dealer uses
Old 09-08-2015, 11:12 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Dealers do not repair windshields. They have someone like Safelite or others come in to do the work. I have had Safelite repair a windshield on my 911. They did an OK job but the impact caused a delamination in an area the size of a quarter. It is visible after a few years but I will replace the windshield after the next event. My recommendation is that you have a windshield replaced at your home where you can supervise ( and perhaps even help). I had this done with a different car ( M-B E320) . I helped install the glass ( they knew I was picky). I let the car sit for 24 hours and then I was good to go.
Old 09-09-2015, 12:36 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Fahrer
Dealers do not repair windshields. They have someone like Safelite or others come in to do the work. I have had Safelite repair a windshield on my 911. They did an OK job but the impact caused a delamination in an area the size of a quarter. It is visible after a few years but I will replace the windshield after the next event. My recommendation is that you have a windshield replaced at your home where you can supervise ( and perhaps even help). I had this done with a different car ( M-B E320) . I helped install the glass ( they knew I was picky). I let the car sit for 24 hours and then I was good to go.
+1
Safelite botched mine, made things worse by refusing to acknowledge their incompetent work, then after escalating to their DSM who arranged for another Safelite shop to reinstall and fix everything they made it EVEN WORSE STILL by using paper towels to clean up all the excess sealant, which of course thoroughly scratched the paint, and capped the whole painful process off with a dent- which they of course denied being their fault. (They refused to let me watch, I sat as close as I could, so close I HEARD my car being hit, ran around the corner, saw a guy walking past swinging a wrench exactly the same level as the dent…. oh not that wasn't me...Arrgh!) All of which could have been avoided simply by me standing there watching.

Next windshield, home install, flawless work, less time, far less trouble, and I learned a lot too.

Unless you have personal first hand knowledge, always supervise. Always!
Old 09-09-2015, 09:01 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 405 Likes on 256 Posts

I just ordered an OEM windshield from Sunset Porsche; It's shipping today. $930 for the windshield, another $80 or so for seals, and $130 for shipping from Oregon. Still less than what they were quoting me here. My insurance will only pay for aftermarket, $710 total. I told them to take a hike. I'll send them the receipts and they'll send me the small penance. It's worth it to me to have the OEM. I'll look at changing insurance companies after I get my windshield fixed. I'm using my favorite body shop's installer to put it in; years of experience with Porsche windshields.

Give Sunset a call, can't hurt.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:32 PM
malexgcab
Rennlist Member

Called the dealer...they said they have "someone" that fixes the windshield for $175. I presume it's 3rd party.

Allstate recommended safelite. I'll get an estimate from both places either cases (repair or replace).

I'm leaning towards dealership.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:53 PM
Lahainabry
Racer

Safelite did mine. They did an exceptional job.
Old 09-11-2015, 11:20 AM
powderzone
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cab windshield

Malexgcab, not sure if you have a cab or a coupe? When I replaced mine 2 years ago, I used the collision shop that the dealership uses, and they told me that using a Porsche (versus aftermarket) windshield is especially important for cabs. The windshield in a cab provides structural rigidity so the thicker glass from Porsche helps in this regards. In addition, if the installer isn't using factory glass, they probably aren't using the right glue either which is expensive but really holds it in there.
Mine cost $1,500 installed.
Old 09-11-2015, 11:26 AM
PHX 911
Official Rennlist Snake Slayer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Last time I needed a Porsche windshield, about 3 years ago, there was not an aftermarket supplier of windshields for the 997.2.
Didn't matter what the glass company said or ordered. All replacement windshields were OEM.
Old 09-11-2015, 04:43 PM
malexgcab
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by powderzone
Malexgcab, not sure if you have a cab or a coupe? When I replaced mine 2 years ago, I used the collision shop that the dealership uses, and they told me that using a Porsche (versus aftermarket) windshield is especially important for cabs. The windshield in a cab provides structural rigidity so the thicker glass from Porsche helps in this regards. In addition, if the installer isn't using factory glass, they probably aren't using the right glue either which is expensive but really holds it in there.
Mine cost $1,500 installed.
COUPE.
Old 09-11-2015, 04:57 PM
caitov
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by PHX 911
Last time I needed a Porsche windshield, about 3 years ago, there was not an aftermarket supplier of windshields for the 997.2.
Didn't matter what the glass company said or ordered. All replacement windshields were OEM.
FYI, in case it can help anyone else.
Just had mine replaced her in So Cal a couple months ago. Went through State Farm and they recommended a really good installer who told me they can use OEM if replacements aren't readily available - which one wasn't. So for the cost of my deductible I got an OEM replacement.
Old 09-11-2015, 05:05 PM
malexgcab
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by caitov
FYI, in case it can help anyone else.
Just had mine replaced her in So Cal a couple months ago. Went through State Farm and they recommended a really good installer who told me they can use OEM if replacements aren't readily available - which one wasn't. So for the cost of my deductible I got an OEM replacement.
good to hear. thanks

Quick Reply: Cracked windshield