Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Default Clunking, Bad Control Arm, Fixed w/video

2009 C2S 86K miles

Symptoms:

- Clunking that sounded like it came from on top of the engine
- Clunking started at around 50K miles
- Squirrely handling at around 65K miles... car felt a little to alive and moved around a bit too much

Repair

- Pair of new OEM (TRW) control arms 997 331 043 01
- About $240 for the pair from Pelican (genuine Porsche was twice cost)
- About $313 for labor at my Indy shop

I had these stupid arms for about 1 year and was going to DIY but could not do the work. I tried; I pulled the wheel and realized you have to drop the pan and remove another support member. I gave up, you will need a lift of will have to do it on your back... something I will not do. If you have a lift or like dropping crap into your eyes, this is not a hard job.

I could not get good data on what was causing this clunk. Putting a crow bar in there just doesn't tell you anything so I guess which part was the offender purely based on experience with my 2000 Boxter S. The Boxster went through the same arms... I think at least twice in its 197K miles.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Movie: Note how easy it is to move the collar around. On a new arm, this thing will not budge and is solid.

Pictures: You can't tell from the pic or movie, but without much pressure, I am getting metal-on-metal contact. The black rubber you see is just a boot, the actual load-bearing bushing (actually a ball/sphere and plastic collar) is inside.

Old 09-04-2015 | 03:55 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

You're lucky. On my car, the clunk is coming from lower control arms. My car is under CPO warranty so I need to have the work done at the dealer, but the lower control arms are on back order with no ETA. Pelican parts had three in stock as of yesterday or so, but my dealer can't get them from pelican. Thanks for your write-up.
Old 09-04-2015 | 06:54 PM
Wolfk
Racer

Bruce,
Can you cut the rubber boot off the old unit, and post pics of what the internals look like?
Old 09-08-2015 | 05:42 PM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

so that fixed it, eh? congrats!
Old 09-08-2015 | 05:52 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wolfk
Bruce,
Can you cut the rubber boot off the old unit, and post pics of what the internals look like?
I did just that, opened it up, but there is a good video on this from a vendor... no endorsement of their stuff, but a good video that shows what is inside.

The boot actually does not require cutting, I just pulled on it with a pair of pliers and it pops off. What is puzzling me, is there is no slop... the plastic cushion appears to be in good shape although the movement is very free. There is no clunk. I tried pressing out the ball but to no avail... I may try again next weekend.

I just wish I did this 15K miles ago.... handling is more planted, no "bobbing and weaving" and more importantly, no more clunking..... although I can't really figure out what part was clunking..... the metal shaft pitching over and banging the wishbone?? I guess that was it. In my still picture above, my thumb is pushing over the shaft and it is all the way... stopped by the shaft touching the inner circle of the socket.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 09-08-2015 at 06:08 PM.
Old 09-08-2015 | 06:24 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Redacted. Wrong part number for 997.
Old 06-04-2020 | 03:34 AM
snaphappy
Pro

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
I did just that, opened it up, but there is a good video on this from a vendor... no endorsement of their stuff, but a good video that shows what is inside.

The boot actually does not require cutting, I just pulled on it with a pair of pliers and it pops off. What is puzzling me, is there is no slop... the plastic cushion appears to be in good shape although the movement is very free. There is no clunk. I tried pressing out the ball but to no avail... I may try again next weekend.

I just wish I did this 15K miles ago.... handling is more planted, no "bobbing and weaving" and more importantly, no more clunking..... although I can't really figure out what part was clunking..... the metal shaft pitching over and banging the wishbone?? I guess that was it. In my still picture above, my thumb is pushing over the shaft and it is all the way... stopped by the shaft touching the inner circle of
Bruce what do you think about doing the control arm first? Maybe then my knock will go away? And if not THEN I’ll replace the lower control arm? Or is it just best to replace both at the same time?
Old 06-04-2020 | 08:18 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Impossible to tell. From these forums, the lower arm is the problem.... but not sure. The only way I know to be sure, is use chasis ears.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 06-07-2020 | 11:50 AM
MagnusB
Pro

The way I see this the arm is supposed to move. That part is not a "spring", it's there to facilitate movement.

Quick Reply: Clunking, Bad Control Arm, Fixed w/video