Sponsored by:

Paint protection film, anyone DIY?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 03:22 AM
storch
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having it cut to size on the car??
I am getting a quote from another installer that can install the precut patterns or cut it on the car and wrap it for better coverage at an up charge of 50%
Old 09-02-2015, 10:37 AM
XPEL
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 71 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by storch
Having it cut to size on the car??
I am getting a quote from another installer that can install the precut patterns or cut it on the car and wrap it for better coverage at an up charge of 50%
We have pre-cut patterns that our installer network can access/use on your vehicles. The pre-cut patterns/kits allow for the same coverage as a "cut it on the car." When the installer is cutting the pre-cut kits on the plotter they have to option to wrap edges where possible, meaning you get premium coverage.

Old 09-02-2015, 11:35 AM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How much cheaper would application of film be, if I removed the front bumper skin myself and took it to a shop?

It's mind boggling to think that just having my front bumper wrapped would cost $700+.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:50 AM
XPEL
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Carmichael
How much cheaper would application of film be, if I removed the front bumper skin myself and took it to a shop?

It's mind boggling to think that just having my front bumper wrapped would cost $700+.
We always recommend professional removal, whether its our film or competitors. Because removing is not the easiest process...you have to worry about paint, adhesive, etc.

As far as pricing goes, you'd have to call your local installer.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:01 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Oh, no, I mean the front bumper itself, so that the application of the film would be easier since the bumper would not be attached to the entire vehicle.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:03 PM
XPEL
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Carmichael
Oh, no, I mean the front bumper itself, so that the application of the film would be easier since the bumper would not be attached to the entire vehicle.
I would have to say no, when the bumper is mounted on the vehicle it is much easier to install film, because it wont be moving around while trying to stretch and install the film on it.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:11 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Hmm. Good to know. Thanks!
Old 09-02-2015, 12:24 PM
storch
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of the installers said that their installed price is straight of the Expel website patterns page, not bad since I thought that was the pricing to just buy the material alone. I was told the only upcharge would be to add wrapping the corners and this would be an additional $199. on the full front clip coverage, and $99. additional on the partial coverage
Old 09-02-2015, 01:47 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 414 Likes on 244 Posts

XPEL knows whereof he speaks. Removing the front bumper cover would make it very difficult to wrap the bumper because the cover would be floppy and difficult to work with. That panel, by the way, is probably the most difficult on the whole car, because of its convex and concave areas and its size.

Wrapping the edges is worth paying a premium for (perhaps not worth a 50% premium). Having no visible edges is nice. I wrapped one of my wife's old cars with a film that was cut oversize so I could wrap the edges. It's a helluvalot more work to wrap the edges and I have to admit that on the first couple of panels that I did that way, I had some ugly wrinkles when I was done. The panel itself was fine but going around that 90 or 180 degree bend at the edge caused gathering and stretching that was hard to deal with. With a thicker film, it would have been impossible for me.
Old 09-02-2015, 01:49 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 414 Likes on 244 Posts

Not to hijack the thread, but I have another car that I am planning to do a front clip on. There are a lot of vendors out there and it's always a crapshoot when you buy materials from them. Do you have a DIY product, XPELTechnologies?

I'm looking for a pre-cut kit in a thinner material where I can wrap the edges.

Quick Reply: Paint protection film, anyone DIY?