Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint protection film, anyone DIY?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 12:39 AM
storch
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint protection film, anyone DIY?

My 997.2 has fresh paint on the front clip and while it's still nearly flawless I am looking to have it done.
Quoted by a very reputable shop $1100 for the partial coverage and $1899. for the complete front clip, both include mirrors.
This is using the best Expel product.

I have seen DIY partial kits from $75.00? To full kits over $1000.
Old 08-31-2015, 02:38 AM
PVKPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Where are you located, that seems extreme but I'll admit I havent checked on this car. Is it because the cutout kit is overly expensive.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:35 AM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

I have Xpel and love it. Front bumper & lip, headlights, full hood, front fenders, both side mirrors, a-pillars, and six inches up the roof line. I highly recommend doing the full kit like this instead of just the front six inches or so of the hood. Total cost installed was $1550 in the summer of 2013.

I considered a DIY but glad I didn't. The hood would have been fairly easy. But the front bumper would have been a nightmare with all the curved surfaces. My original install had a small hair under the film on the bumper. The installer removed and reinstalled with fresh film to correct it on their dime. If I had gone the DIY route I'm sure there would have been many problems like this, and then I'd still have to pay someone to do it right.
Old 08-31-2015, 11:19 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

I just tinted and filmed my STi.
It was $1100 dollars.
Full nose, 1/3 hood, mirrors, rear arch, rear bumper.
Full pinical tint.
All CAD cut. I'm sure it was >2oo in materials.
Flat surface? I'd try for fun if it was precut.
I remember 20 years ago when they would cut it on the car.
Couple of buddies got cut marks in their paint.
Old 08-31-2015, 11:34 AM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

its very hard, you wont get it right without alot of tries. If you are willing to pay big money, which it costs more for the film than it does to repaint the car, you should get a installer that does the whole surface all the way around the edges, and doesnt use cut panel pieces
Old 08-31-2015, 11:58 AM
XPEL
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 71 Likes on 38 Posts

We usually recommend a professional installation for most installations. Always ask your installer for wrapped edges where possible.

To locate an XPEL installer near you click: XPEL INSTALLERS

That being said, as far as pricing goes...depending on your area,

For a partial front end. This includes 18-24” up the hood and fenders, front bumper, mirrors and sometimes headlights. This ranges from $795 - $1,000.
Name:  Bikini.jpg
Views: 746
Size:  64.7 KB

For a full front it can range between from $1,795 - $2,100. This includes the entire hood and front fenders, front bumper, mirrors and sometimes headlights.
Name:  Full Hood.jpg
Views: 720
Size:  64.6 KB

For the full car it can range between from $5,000 - $8,000. This includes every painted surface on the car possible.
Name:  Complete Car.jpg
Views: 725
Size:  66.2 KB

Old 08-31-2015, 12:08 PM
chris.hanle
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There was a user here that posting that he did his own. He stated having to use a couple of kits (or at least partial) in order to get it to look right. He stated that he was happy with the results. I cant remember seeing pictures.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:09 PM
beden1
Pro

Originally Posted by XPEL Technologies
We usually recommend a professional installation for most installations. Always ask your installer for wrapped edges where possible.

To locate an XPEL installer near you click: XPEL INSTALLERS

That being said, as far as pricing goes...depending on your area,
How long (years) do you recommend leaving the protection wrap on the car, or can it stay on indefinitely without having to be re-installed?
Old 08-31-2015, 12:23 PM
XPEL
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 71 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by beden1
How long (years) do you recommend leaving the protection wrap on the car, or can it stay on indefinitely without having to be re-installed?
XPEL ULTIMATE carries a 10 year warranty against, yellowing, cracking, peeling, staining, and hazing, and reimburses the installer, film and labor in the unlikely event of a failure.

XPEL ULTIMATE
Old 08-31-2015, 12:54 PM
storch
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are the 3M materials cheaper than the Expel Ultimate?
Comparing the DIY material kits online.

Expel Ultimate is around $1200.00 for full front Kit and Invisible Mask that use one of the three 3M products is between $600 to $750 for the same full front clip.

I am most likely going to have it installed by the local installer that quoted using Expel ultimate.
Old 08-31-2015, 02:06 PM
JayRace
Racer

Originally Posted by storch
Are the 3M materials cheaper than the Expel Ultimate?
Comparing the DIY material kits online.

Expel Ultimate is around $1200.00 for full front Kit and Invisible Mask that use one of the three 3M products is between $600 to $750 for the same full front clip.

I am most likely going to have it installed by the local installer that quoted using Expel ultimate.
I used both on multiple cars and have to say Xpel is substantially better than the 3M products. Every car I've used 3M on has ended up with hazing or yellowing issues after 2+ years. The Xpel seems to stay crystal clear.

Ohh, and as far as DIY. No, not in any way DIY friendly when doing panels that large. The only way to have it look good is with LOTS of experience.

Last edited by JayRace; 08-31-2015 at 05:14 PM.
Old 08-31-2015, 02:22 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

there are many different brands, I found ebay 3m to be cheap quality, but 3m makes many different qualities. I wouldnt be as particular about the brand, if its nationally know, as with the work your shop can do, and the guarantee they give you, look at many of their cars and ask about defects you find.
some other pro films are, clear shield, venture shield proform, llumar.
Old 08-31-2015, 03:51 PM
aabueg2005
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Paint protection film, anyone DIY?

I had my 997.1 fully covered xpel ultimate bumper to bumper for $3000. Great turn out. It was done march 2015. This is very dependent on the installer so the money you pay for is for the skill more than the product.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:59 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 414 Likes on 244 Posts

I've done it on a few of my cars. Materials are about $400 to $500 and I always buy 3M.

Here's a link to my 997. Only thing I should have done differently was the hood--next time I'll do the whole hood, not just half. The line is very obvious when it's dirty.

Also, I wouldn't use a Porsche as my first try. Do your wife's car first for practice. It's not rocket science but there are tricks and methods you'll learn the hard way as you go along.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...clear-bra.html
Old 08-31-2015, 11:29 PM
estrellajon
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I've done film on all my cars and it does take some experience to do them perfectly. I sell and install them on the side too. Porsches are fairly easy for experienced installers. Some cars are little trickier than others due to certain curvatures or around letters such as the range rovers.

Suds solution mixture is also key to avoid haze or minute bubbles under the film which adds to cure time. This also takes practice and only after multiple applications that you cAn master the entire process.

Quick Reply: Paint protection film, anyone DIY?