Sponsored by:

Steering Wheel Airbag Jumper

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2023, 01:00 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by murphymattm
Hey all. I tried this. Added 2x 3ohm resistors to the airbags but I'm still getting the light? Any help would be appreciated!

Looks good tho!

did you have the light before you added the resistors? If so, you need to reset it. It will not simply extinguish because the resistors were added. Otherwise this should work. Double check your wiring if that doesn’t work.
Old 02-18-2023, 06:28 PM
murphymattm
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by nwGTS
did you have the light before you added the resistors? If so, you need to reset it. It will not simply extinguish because the resistors were added. Otherwise this should work. Double check your wiring if that doesn’t work.
I disconnected the battery for 30 mins hoping it would reset it. It didn't. So annoying. I guess I have to take it to my buddies shop and have him clear the codes?
Old 02-18-2023, 06:48 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

I disconnected the battery for 30 mins hoping it would reset it. It didn't. So annoying. I guess I have to take it to my buddies shop and have him clear the codes?
yes. It doesn’t auto reset. Needs a reset via Durametric or OEM PIWIS (dealer).
good looking wheel though.
Old 03-02-2023, 11:22 AM
murphymattm
Intermediate

So I'm completely stumped. I ordered a durametric. It can't clear the airbag codes with the 3 ohm resistors I made so I swapped them out for some Works Bell U Turn Harness / Air Bag Light Fix and tried clearing it again and it wont clear.

Horn works fine...

I don't know why I can't clear the airbag code...

I guess I'll use a more barbaric method and put some tape over the light...
Old 03-02-2023, 02:47 PM
jlert
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

So I'm completely stumped. I ordered a durametric. It can't clear the airbag codes with the 3 ohm resistors I made so I swapped them out for some Works Bell U Turn Harness / Air Bag Light Fix and tried clearing it again and it wont clear.

Horn works fine...

I don't know why I can't clear the airbag code...

I guess I'll use a more barbaric method and put some tape over the light...
My shop recently installed a Momo wheel and hub on my 997.1 C2S using the resistor method with success. I believe it was 3 ohm and worked fine. They initially tried to code it out with their PIWIS but the light kept coming back. The resistor method is likely the only way to go.
Old 03-02-2023, 02:49 PM
murphymattm
Intermediate

I figured it out. Need to take it to Porsche and reset the airbag module - I left the key in the ignition when I turned off the battery. Doh!

The resistors work fine.
Old 03-02-2023, 03:11 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

I figured it out. Need to take it to Porsche and reset the airbag module - I left the key in the ignition when I turned off the battery. Doh!

The resistors work fine.
I'm skeptical of this. Where did you hear that taking it to Porsche was the requirement to clear an airbag when the key was in the ignition while the battery was disconnected? I ask because if a dealer said this, it may not necessarily be true. When I did this work I did all sorts of things that triggered the airbag light and had no problem clearing it as long as the resistors were present. Note that I also turned off the steering wheel airbag as well via Durametric.

Old 03-02-2023, 03:44 PM
murphymattm
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nwGTS
I'm skeptical of this. Where did you hear that taking it to Porsche was the requirement to clear an airbag when the key was in the ignition while the battery was disconnected? I ask because if a dealer said this, it may not necessarily be true. When I did this work I did all sorts of things that triggered the airbag light and had no problem clearing it as long as the resistors were present. Note that I also turned off the steering wheel airbag as well via Durametric.
I read it here: https://www.renntech.org/topic/48745-airbag-fault-code/

I can see the fault codes on my iCarsoft scanner. it's 80d7 - which is "triggering unit fault" - not the airbag
Old 03-02-2023, 04:02 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

I read it here: https://www.renntech.org/topic/48745-airbag-fault-code/

I can see the fault codes on my iCarsoft scanner. it's 80d7 - which is "triggering unit fault" - not the airbag
Okay, this looks like a fault with the control unit. Sorry to hear that happened. That article points to some DIY fixes but hopefully a dealer can solve it too and not rake you over coals in labor charges.
Good luck and report back if you wouldn't mind for closer and posterity.

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Airbag Jumper