Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service Now light reset costs how much??

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2015 | 12:45 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

I really can't think of anything to do with the professional in terms of programming a 997.2 but I haven't really had the need either. I was messing with turning memory on and off for the seats but then ultimately didn't need to do it.

Since I have two cars that can use it and a few friends that might need it, I got the professional when I had the chance to snag one. I still have an unused enthusiast version that I need to put on our classifieds but never got around to it. If you only have one car then it should really do the trick. Buy it for about $250. Use it. Sell it with two licenses for about 170-200. Real cost to you is 50-80 so it pays for itself pretty quick on resets. Even if you go to the dealership or a tech and tip them 20 every time. By the time you drive there, waste some time, tip them, drive back ...
Old 08-31-2015 | 09:30 AM
Santi
Rennlist Member

Just to confirm because I have read otherwise - the Durametric will reset the service required on a 997.2?
Old 09-01-2015 | 02:52 PM
kcheves
Rennlist Member

Yes
Old 09-01-2015 | 03:19 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mopar bob
Or have 4 TPMS changed on sale for $1,200.00 what a deal.
LOL
Old 09-01-2015 | 03:22 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

common things to do are
- side mirrors into turn signals
- turn on remote windows up and down (controlling the windows with your key fob)

for us Canadians
- my car is from the US but I'm in canada and every time i would screw with the cluster controls i would accidentally reset all the defaults back to USA metrics; so i went into the pcm to change everything to cdn
- you can also turn off the DRL headlamp function if you want to have your fogs as the DRLs. i did this and rewired my LED fogs so that the car behaves like a 997.2 (headlamp wise)

but the main useful things to do for the longterm is to be able to diagnose engine codes any sort of service light that pop up.

Originally Posted by workhurts
I really can't think of anything to do with the professional in terms of programming a 997.2 but I haven't really had the need either. I was messing with turning memory on and off for the seats but then ultimately didn't need to do it.

Since I have two cars that can use it and a few friends that might need it, I got the professional when I had the chance to snag one. I still have an unused enthusiast version that I need to put on our classifieds but never got around to it. If you only have one car then it should really do the trick. Buy it for about $250. Use it. Sell it with two licenses for about 170-200. Real cost to you is 50-80 so it pays for itself pretty quick on resets. Even if you go to the dealership or a tech and tip them 20 every time. By the time you drive there, waste some time, tip them, drive back ...
Old 09-02-2015 | 02:07 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Originally Posted by myw
common things to do are
- side mirrors into turn signals
- turn on remote windows up and down (controlling the windows with your key fob)
Wait--so with the Durametric you can do both of those items on a 997.2?

If so, the value of the tool is becoming more compelling.
Old 09-02-2015 | 02:46 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Iceter
Wait--so with the Durametric you can do both of those items on a 997.2?

If so, the value of the tool is becoming more compelling.
- side mirrors into turn signals (997.2 already has this... assuming he meant side indicators)
- turn on remote windows up and down (controlling the windows with your key fob) (yes)
Old 09-02-2015 | 03:24 PM
nevadakid
Advanced

Originally Posted by Blu311
The difference between the enthusiast and Pro is that the Pro can be used on an unlimited number of vehicles while the enthusiast can only be used on 3. The pro also has additional capabilities like 'programming' or 'coding' that appears to benefit the 997.1 crowd more than the 997.2 crowd. If there are more differences, someone else will have to fill you in.

The difference in the 287 and 347 unit on pelican is that the more expensive on is good for all models and comes with an additional adapter while the cheaper one is only good on OBDII cars, or 1996 and newer.
Do I also have to buy a PC laptop? or I can use my macbook air?

Thanks

Phil
Old 09-02-2015 | 04:03 PM
Blu311
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by nevadakid
Do I also have to buy a PC laptop? or I can use my macbook air?

Thanks

Phil
I use my pc, I think I've read that it works with Mac now, check with durametric to be sure.
Old 09-02-2015 | 04:06 PM
Blu311
Burning Brakes

I use my pc, I think I've read that it works with Mac now, check with durametric to be sure.
Maybe not... http://www.durametric.com/systemrequirements.aspx
Old 09-02-2015 | 04:28 PM
ChicagoSpeed996
Rennlist Member

Do those cheap China PIWIS cables work? Just to reset the service reminder?
Old 09-02-2015 | 05:24 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

I imagine you'd need the software, not just the cable.
Old 09-02-2015 | 08:04 PM
ChicagoSpeed996
Rennlist Member

Supposedly they come with software. I have heard reports on Planet 9 that they work for what they say they will do. Basically a glorified code reader with a service now eraser.
Old 09-02-2015 | 10:21 PM
nevadakid
Advanced

Looks like the Mac is out of the picture.
Old 09-02-2015 | 11:17 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Coupla items, I owne the Durametric Pro:

1) Software is free and anyone can down load it.... need their proprietary cable for it to work
2) Chinese cables.... I no experience with them, however when I was buying the Durametric, the Chinese only worked with an older version of the software and definitely not for the 997.2
3) Coding, or programming, doesn't work much on the 997.2... only like windows down with fob. Much is blocked by the car software. Some use the coding to turn of TMPS, and the spoiler to install an alternative deck.... some track stuff but I don't need any of this
4) Reset of the 997.2 service reminder is a simple click. Done. No fuse pulls.
5) One click diagnose/read of all car systems.... then a readout of codes.... then a complete system reset with one click.... nice.
6) Regarding coding..... sounds cool but I got only one use out of it, see above. The biggest value of the tool is diagnosing issues. For that:
- It captures live data from a ton of information that you can dump to Excel and graph etc.
- You can trigger relays, fans etc with a click.... great for diagnosing problems
- It has a code library that is fairly descriptive.... but nothing on what to do with it.

Summary: I think buying the Pro for a 997.2 is a waste unless you want to code stuff for the track or really really have to have the windows down feature. The tool is for diagnosing problems and indispensable if you are a DIYer. Warning: there is no documentation, the tool is confusing, and can be buggy as was my experience. These aftermarket tools are hacks.... reverse engineered and therefore... well buyer beware. It has saved me a few trips to the dealer and therefore maybe... paid for itself... sort of. I believe it will over time.

See my thread on graphing engine temps: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...tric-data.html

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Quick Reply: Service Now light reset costs how much??