Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My car tries to accellerate when I'm stopping.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 11:16 PM
gconner
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My car tries to accellerate when I'm stopping.

During the past two months or so my 06 Carrera S Cab will occasionally accelerate for a second or two when I apply the brakes. Believe me it's a freaky feeling when you hit the brakes and the car doesn't want to stop. Pulling into the driveway a couple of days ago it happened and I threw it into neutral. The engine revved to about 4500 rpm but only for a second or two. The car is at the dealer now and they tell me they can't replicate the problem (of course). Anyone ever had this problem or even heard of it.?
Old 08-06-2015, 11:47 PM
ogun228
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Sometimes the simplest explanation works: Check your mat position on driver side. Make sure it is firmly in place and not on top of throttle...You'd be surprised.
Old 08-06-2015, 11:51 PM
Jason F
Instructor

fat footing it? Might have a sticky gas pedal. Either way, sounds dangerous, I hope you figure it out.
Old 08-07-2015, 01:05 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 797 Posts

Doesn't apply to drive by wire, but many years ago I built a desert rat that popped some mounts going off of a ledge (I was young back then!) at which point any body twist allowed the mechanical linkage to select whatever amount of throttle amplification it desired. Fun ride home with a 650 HP Sprint Car motor in a short wheel base 1958 ****** M38A1!

But that has no relation to your problem.

I'd go with the carpet ... Classic Toyota! On the other hand, if you had a Lotus with tight pedals or size 15 feet ...
Old 08-07-2015, 04:39 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,642 Likes on 979 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
I'd go with the carpet ... Classic Toyota! On the other hand, if you had a Lotus with tight pedals or size 15 feet ...
I had the mystery acceleration happen to me twice with my wife's Lexus Is 250..... It was because my hard soled shoe would apply the gas when î applied the brake. Pressing the brake harder only increased acceleration. The gas peddle is close to the brake and is activated with just a touch. I almost went into a lake pulling into a parking spot... Scared the bejeezes out of me.

Toyota could fix this by simply having the gas peddle 1 or two inches of dead movement before the gas is applied.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 08-07-2015, 08:52 AM
HolmaN
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Doesn't the 997 have a full electric gaspedal? Probably something wiered with the electronics inside the pedal, or the socket/wire from the pedal to the "cars computer" (couldn't figure out the english word for it, hope you understand.)

Do you know ayone else with a 997 who can lend you their pedal or swap with you for a few days to test if the problem dissapear? Would be the cheapest option.

With regards, Jonathan.
Old 08-07-2015, 11:52 AM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My R53 MINI Cooper S did this.

Took out the throttle body and measured resistance on the pins to see if the potentiometers inside the throttle body were still good. Turned out one of them would go open under partial throttle, then return to normal when closed. The throttle pedal also tested positive for bad potentiometers.

Replaced both the pedal box and throttle body, and all was well. I should have tested the wiring loom for continuity, too, come to think of it. The R53s have a reputation for having horrible wiring. Sometimes throwing money at a problem does help.

God, I hate BMW.
Old 08-07-2015, 12:01 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 64 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith

So this is why you drive barefoot?!
Old 08-07-2015, 12:03 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

I know a few people that do DEs and Autocrosses barefoot ...
Old 08-07-2015, 12:41 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 797 Posts

I know a lot will frown on the practice, but driving barefoot gives me what I perceive to be better feed back. It doesn't help that previous injuries have removed a lot of the feeling from the thighs down.

And something many seem to find out eventually, it gets harder and harder to bend/contort the body to get socks on in the morning. That's a task you can ask your wife to do only infrequently.

From what I've seen on this Forum, there are a lot of us that can relate to that!

Drive on!
Old 08-07-2015, 12:49 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 64 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Carmichael
I know a few people that do DEs and Autocrosses barefoot ...
When I was commuting in a suit (but almost all times sans tie!) in my SC, I'd remove the "wingtips" and drive barefoot (Spring, Summer, Fall or Winter) which connected me to the car so much better.

It is good to hear that driving instructors acquiesce to barefoot DEs and that autocrossers also feel more intimately connected while barefoot!

These days with the advent of very light running shoes, I feel better with a sticky sole.

Sorry OP for the tangent -- I hope that the issue was easily solved by fixing the Toyota effect...
Old 08-07-2015, 02:06 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

I actually drive the car better with dress shoes than with my Puma CirCats.

That's kind of sad, really. I need to autocross/DE this thing more, but I'll drive it to the office or court most of the time.
Old 08-07-2015, 02:37 PM
Jason F
Instructor

Ditto. I wear my work loafers for track days now, maybe I should weary Piloti's to work instead.
Old 08-08-2015, 11:25 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,702 Likes on 4,259 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason F
Ditto. I wear my work loafers for track days now, maybe I should weary Piloti's to work instead.
Look at some of the Adidas Porsche Design dress athletic shoes. The black leather ones are dressy enough to wear on business casual days and I do. Thin Sole, rolled heel - perfect for driving.

When I wear sandals, I take them off and drive barefoot so the sandal back doesn't get stuck on the floor mat when letting out the clutch or releasing the brake.
Old 08-08-2015, 04:24 PM
gasongasoff
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Carmichael
My R53 MINI Cooper S did this.

Took out the throttle body and measured resistance on the pins to see if the potentiometers inside the throttle body were still good. Turned out one of them would go open under partial throttle, then return to normal when closed. The throttle pedal also tested positive for bad potentiometers.

Replaced both the pedal box and throttle body, and all was well. I should have tested the wiring loom for continuity, too, come to think of it. The R53s have a reputation for having horrible wiring. Sometimes throwing money at a problem does help.

God, I hate BMW.
BMW: The Penultimate Driving Machine

Quick Reply: My car tries to accellerate when I'm stopping.