Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inside door handle popped!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015 | 09:28 PM
NJtarga4
Advanced

Question Inside door handle popped!

Got into my Targa today and when I went to get out of the car something popped off the handle and it is lamely in place and will open the door but do not want to trust it won't get any worse. Has anyone had this problem- 07 Targa 4 ? Anyone know how to repair ?
Thanks!
Old 07-27-2015 | 10:06 PM
IslandS52
Rennlist Member

Yes, this is common. An internal part snaps as it is plastic and under pressure from a spring. Replacement does require removal on the door panel. I fixed mine on my own, but others have said that the replacement part is now updated and more tricky to replace. Suncoast does sell the part, and it alone is $50 or so shipped.

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product..._interiorDOORS
Old 07-27-2015 | 10:11 PM
Ten Years
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NJtarga4
Got into my Targa today and when I went to get out of the car something popped off the handle and it is lamely in place and will open the door but do not want to trust it won't get any worse. Has anyone had this problem- 07 Targa 4 ? Anyone know how to repair ?
Thanks!
I wouldn't stress too much about it. It could be something as small as the handle itself coming off the inner handle lever, in which case it would just need to be slid back on and screwed down, with the one screw. In that situation, however, the handle would likely be loose, or have fallen down, off the door panel. It could also be the cable inside that's snapped, or some other part of the inner handle/ lever system. The door panels come off really easily. Once you've done it once, you can get the whole door panel off in less than ten minutes. The first time might take you thirty. Suncoast sells the entire replacement system here:

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...S_InteriorDOOR

They are surprisingly inexpensive, considering how intricate they are. And I think the 997.1s used a slightly different cable attachment than the 997.2s. Just be sure you order the 997.1 version. Install is super easy.

Good luck.

EDIT: ^^^ Ha, we were probably posting at the same time.
Old 07-28-2015 | 12:19 AM
Psymon
Racer

It happened to me recently. The spring on the "Axle Bearing" snapped out of place because the plastic tap that is holding it is slightly broken.

1) I fixed it temporarily by putting the spring back in place. Needed to do it carefully without making further damage to the plastic tap.

I ordered the replacement part at the same time, but due to the slightly different design, it requires the new part "lock cable" as well.

2) the above fix lasted for about a month before it snapped again, the same day replacement part arrived! Replacing the "Axle Bearing" is pretty easy once the door panel is removed. But like other mentioned, replacing the cable is very tricky... the door lock and external door handle need to be removed (I think). At the end I gave up and just snap the original cable back into the new "Axle Bearing" with a bit of twisting and pushing. It worked and seems to be working pretty well.

This is how the parts look... http://www.ecstuning.com/ES2771010/
(I didn't from this link as I ordered it from a local shop)

I only replaced the left side, and will be doing the right side this weekend (I took the opportunity to replace / upgrade all the speakers), and can take some photos for you.
Old 07-29-2015 | 11:11 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Psymon
It happened to me recently. The spring on the "Axle Bearing" snapped out of place because the plastic tap that is holding it is slightly broken.

1) I fixed it temporarily by putting the spring back in place. Needed to do it carefully without making further damage to the plastic tap.

I ordered the replacement part at the same time, but due to the slightly different design, it requires the new part "lock cable" as well.

2) the above fix lasted for about a month before it snapped again, the same day replacement part arrived! Replacing the "Axle Bearing" is pretty easy once the door panel is removed. But like other mentioned, replacing the cable is very tricky... the door lock and external door handle need to be removed (I think). At the end I gave up and just snap the original cable back into the new "Axle Bearing" with a bit of twisting and pushing. It worked and seems to be working pretty well.

This is how the parts look... http://www.ecstuning.com/ES2771010/
(I didn't from this link as I ordered it from a local shop)

I only replaced the left side, and will be doing the right side this weekend (I took the opportunity to replace / upgrade all the speakers), and can take some photos for you.
This happened to me last year. I took it ti the dealer and they fixed it for $250ish. It's a small plastic part that snaps but the redesigned it so a few parts get replaced. What's really annoying is when taking a hard left turn the window will start to open because it thinks your trying to opn the door when the unsecured handle starts flapping.

Quick Reply: Inside door handle popped!