Sponsored by:

997 and baby seats...

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 02:57 AM
jimau
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zer026T
Rear facing is possible. This is a photo a couple years ago of my two week old on the left and 2 yr old on the right.

The front passenger seat is definitely tight but it's ok for my wife. I wouldn't use this as our primary/only mode of transportation, but definitely manageable for the odd trip, weekends, etc.

My wife took a car seat installation certification while she was off earlier this year, and while these cars are not purposely designed for infants/toddlers in the back, she is perfectly happy with the installation. It can be tricky but well worth it

Hi Zer026T, may I know what the brand of the infant is that you have?
Expecting a baby in January ! Thanks !
Old 08-12-2015, 03:09 PM
zer026T
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jimau
Hi Zer026T, may I know what the brand of the infant is that you have?
Expecting a baby in January ! Thanks !
As shown - rear facing is the Baby Trend Flex Loc, and forward facing is Cosco Scenera.. We've since gotten my older daughter into a Harmony Dreamtime 2 highback booster ($50 CDN) and my infant is now 2yrs and has moved up to a forward facing Cosco (replaced the old black one with a newer model).

Rear/forward infant and toddler seats aren't easy to install and they're a pain to get the kid in/out of, but the pain is short term and you get used to the extra work pretty quickly. At the end of the day it's soooo worth it

I sent you a PM with a few more details on installing etc.. hope it helps!

p.s. here's a shot we took a couple weeks ago on a trip to the grandparents house... Note the DVD screens mounted to the head rests.. best invention ever!!!

Old 08-13-2015, 01:49 AM
alexaqui
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a 3 year old and have her in the back of my 997.2 without issues, with a full sized car seat. She absolutely loves it. Surprisingly, car seats fit better than in the 991 because you can completely remove the back seat, providing a bit more room. We just got back from a 1k mile road trip with the three of us; we had a blast.

That being said, while the minimum for a child to be rear facing is 12 months, you are much better off going as long as you can. We purchased the 997 when my daughter was more than 2.5 and it was the only car she was forward facing in until just about 3 years of age. Only you can make the call; do some research on child safety forward vs. rear facing. What we saw was pretty convincing to go longer than 2 years, and almost 3. I had a Cayman originally and leased a cheap car to go with our Cayenne for safe baby driving while she was younger.

Good luck!
Old 08-13-2015, 07:12 AM
zer026T
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by alexaqui

That being said, while the minimum for a child to be rear facing is 12 months, you are much better off going as long as you can. We purchased the 997 when my daughter was more than 2.5 and it was the only car she was forward facing in until just about 3 years of age. Only you can make the call; do some research on child safety forward vs. rear facing. What we saw was pretty convincing to go longer than 2 years, and almost 3. I had a Cayman originally and leased a cheap car to go with our Cayenne for safe baby driving while she was younger.

Good luck!
Forward facing you mean?

Yes I agree 100%, we have been keeping our youngest rear facing as long as possible in our other car. My wife is a certified child restraint technician and has seen lots of research showing it is much safer keeping them rear facing as long as possible. Sweden for example keeps their kids in the rear facing position until 4+ yrs which has had a huge impact on reducing child injuries in automobile collisions.

My wife isn't excited about my 2.5 yr old being forward facing but we're well past the minimum age and she travels 90% of her time in the other car, so as you said you have to be comfortable with the decision. Ultimately you are the parent and get to make the choice
Old 08-13-2015, 01:45 PM
alexaqui
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by zer026T
Forward facing you mean?

Yes I agree 100%, we have been keeping our youngest rear facing as long as possible in our other car. My wife is a certified child restraint technician and has seen lots of research showing it is much safer keeping them rear facing as long as possible. Sweden for example keeps their kids in the rear facing position until 4+ yrs which has had a huge impact on reducing child injuries in automobile collisions.

My wife isn't excited about my 2.5 yr old being forward facing but we're well past the minimum age and she travels 90% of her time in the other car, so as you said you have to be comfortable with the decision. Ultimately you are the parent and get to make the choice
Thanks! I meant to say that the minimum age to go forward facing is 12 months; although I hear they are considering raising it. Nice to see someone else go much longer! My wife and I felt a LOT of pressure to switch from other people. Our daughter did not know any other way and quite frankly could do very long car trips rear facing with us (1000 mile road trips) without fussing. The data is pretty compelling. It is a personal risk/reward decision. We only changed on the other car because my wife had trouble lifting my daughter up into the seat, once she was about 35-36lbs.

The cool thing about having kids in the 911 is that you can reach them quite easily. I can pass back tissues or even pick up a toy that drops to the floor. It's nice to have them so close!
Old 08-14-2015, 03:31 AM
jimau
4th Gear

Thanks so much for the tips guys, I really appreciate it.

Knowing that an infant seat actually can't fit a 997, definitely made my day.

Old 08-14-2015, 02:27 PM
pavster
Instructor

I don't understand rear-facing past crawling age. Where do they put their legs? Both my kids were fussing like crazy rear-faced but were perfectly happy facing forward where they could see where the car is going as well as their parents. I am glad I don't live in Sweden.
Old 08-14-2015, 02:54 PM
Blu311
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by pavster
I don't understand rear-facing past crawling age. Where do they put their legs? Both my kids were fussing like crazy rear-faced but were perfectly happy facing forward where they could see where the car is going as well as their parents. I am glad I don't live in Sweden.
Rear facing is just safer so that's why many people recommend rear facing as long as possible. My daughter eventually got to a point where she didn't want to do rear facing anymore but it was after 12 months.

Quick Reply: 997 and baby seats...