Who details your car?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 10:25 PM
yelloporsche
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Who details your car?

Hi guys:

I typically like washing my own cars at home, but I have been watching a lot of the detailer youtube videos (ammonyc, etc.) and i have to say these guys do a waaayyyy better job at cleaning and polishing than I do.

With that being said, do a lot of you detail your own cars, go to a carwash, or have someone come to the house and do it for you? If you have someone come out, can you recommend someone in the SoCal area that's good?
Old 08-09-2015, 11:23 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,524 Likes on 956 Posts

I detail my own car. I like washing and detailing the car on a Saturday morning.

There is a detail shop here in Colorado that specializes in high-end cars and sponsors several local PCA events each year. I'm thinking about giving them a try to see how they do, but I can't see myself doing that on a regular basis.

My local PCA chapter participates in a detailing session with Adam's Polishes every year. They randomly pick a car from the group and detail it in front of everyone. They show you lots of professional tricks and they sell lots of products. I'll bet your local club does something similar.
Old 08-09-2015, 11:53 PM
SJP3003
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

I like washing and detailing my car too, but living in an APT that's no longer possible. Luckily there is a carwash on the opposite side of my block. I have it vacuumed and Klasse polished by hand every 7 to 14 days. Every few months I have them clean the underside and apply Klasse All in One by machine. Whenever I drop off my car I put protectors on the seats and steering wheel to keep them pristine. I keep them out of my interior except for vacuuming, and I do the leather, carbon fiber, rubber and plastic bits myself every other month with specialized German products. One benefit of living in the tropics is that labor is affordable. I pay the carwash $11 and tip the same amount to Felix, the guy who washes my cars. I washed it yesterday and below are some pics taken this afternoon, after driving the car around yesterday and today...

It's still shiny after accumulating dust over the past 24 hours.
Old 08-10-2015, 01:20 AM
Gewgaw
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny you posted this question today... I JUST got my car completely detailed and two-stage polished by a local SoCal detailer, PC Auto Care (www.pcautocare.com), and I could not be happier. They did an absolutely amazing job, and I even had them apply a Gtechniq C1 + EXO v2 stack. It's more than I have ever spent on any cosmetic-related activity for any car, but it was worth every penny. If you give Daniel a call, tell him Allen with the Carmon Red 997 sent you!

Here is the car right after the finished today... all the surfaces are 100% swirl free and reflect like mirrors. This is something I absolutely never could have done myself, with any amount of time or product. Sometimes you gotta go with a pro.

Allen

Old 08-10-2015, 12:59 PM
rickdogg82
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by yelloporsche
Hi guys:

I typically like washing my own cars at home, but I have been watching a lot of the detailer youtube videos (ammonyc, etc.) and i have to say these guys do a waaayyyy better job at cleaning and polishing than I do.

With that being said, do a lot of you detail your own cars, go to a carwash, or have someone come to the house and do it for you? If you have someone come out, can you recommend someone in the SoCal area that's good?
I generally wash/detail my own car but have used these guys with good results. http://ocddetailing.com/
Old 08-10-2015, 01:06 PM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

two buckets one sponge

one with soap, the other with clean water ...and some junk towels for the wheels

living in a townhouse development washing is more of a process, but works.
Old 08-10-2015, 01:13 PM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 321 Likes on 209 Posts

The Werewife and I detail the cars. We have a detailer who comes by the office, but after I watched who he washed the cars and what he used, he's not getting near any of mine. He does a fair job and the cars he works on look good, but I don't like his shortcuts or product choices. Just my personal obsessiveness, kinda like how I won't let valets near the cars either or how I park in East Jesus to try and avoid door dings.
Old 08-10-2015, 01:24 PM
Blu311
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by porschedog
The Werewife and I detail the cars. We have a detailer who comes by the office, but after I watched who he washed the cars and what he used, he's not getting near any of mine. He does a fair job and the cars he works on look good, but I don't like his shortcuts or product choices. Just my personal obsessiveness, kinda like how I won't let valets near the cars either or how I park in East Jesus to try and avoid door dings.
Agreed, most detailers wont do as good of a job as I will because they just don't care about the car like I do. If I knew a good one that came with high recommendations, then maybe, if he wasn't too expensive.

I typically park in East Jesus too.
Old 08-10-2015, 01:36 PM
TXSailor
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a local guy for when I can't get to it, or want it professionally done. He is a local guy and does this on the side (one or two a month) out of his house. He does it because he loves it. He owns all the right stuff, like a water ionizer and is very experienced so he can do it better and quicker than I can. He is a great resource for me too. He will use what I want or make suggestions. It's like $500 for a 3 step exterior. Do the math...It is a good deal really.
Old 08-10-2015, 02:26 PM
ElectricChair
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 95 Posts

No one touches my Porsches but me
Old 08-10-2015, 04:35 PM
Type 2
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Detail the P-Car Myself, & NO Valets

Originally Posted by porschedog
Agree with Porschedog.

Plus if there are any small finish or wheel problems, you, as your own detailer, discover it first, and remedy it. From the images, the the Third poster, SJP3003, seems to have a good detailer though, and if it works for him, good.

As to valets, I hand them a $5 or $10 depending upon how upscale the restaurant or event is, invite them to take the passenger seat, and to show me where they would like to have the car parked. All most always, the valet does not get in, a pylon is moved from a front slot, and I am told to park there.

By parking it myself, I keep the fob or key; twice in recent years with our daily driver, contract valet services have lost the fob/key that was left with them. The real fun begins at that point, the valet operator ALWAYS knows an independent that he can get the non-OEM fob cheaper than $200+ the dealer wants.

Plus if your significant other isn't along with her fob or key, you will end up taking a cab home and then returning with a second driver to get the car so it is not left in an unattended parking lot after the restaurant or theater closes. There is no convenience, only inconvenience with valet parking.

Last edited by Type 2; 08-10-2015 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Id.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:50 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

As a DD, I clean my own car. Spay wax a couple of times per month. Clay bar, 2-3 time per year. Roads are horrendous. Car stays clean for minutes sometimes. Any mess in the finish has been inflicted by me, or the previous owner. it's no garage queen.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:07 PM
ElectricChair
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Type 2
... There is no convenience, only inconvenience with valet parking.
This.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:30 AM
jeffrec
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I detail all of my cars, including two Porsche's. I have actually gone to several concours training seminars and have purchased several of the tools the pros use. I have had some hands on training by a guy who used to work for Barrett Jackson detailing and prepping their auction cars. I find detailing my cars to be a great stress relief and something that gives me a sense of accomplishment.
Old 08-11-2015, 12:01 PM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SJP3003
I like washing and detailing my car too, but living in an APT that's no longer possible. Luckily there is a carwash on the opposite side of my block. I have it vacuumed and Klasse polished by hand every 7 to 14 days. Every few months I have them clean the underside and apply Klasse All in One by machine. Whenever I drop off my car I put protectors on the seats and steering wheel to keep them pristine. I keep them out of my interior except for vacuuming, and I do the leather, carbon fiber, rubber and plastic bits myself every other month with specialized German products. One benefit of living in the tropics is that labor is affordable. I pay the carwash $11 and tip the same amount to Felix, the guy who washes my cars. I washed it yesterday and below are some pics taken this afternoon, after driving the car around yesterday and today...

It's still shiny after accumulating dust over the past 24 hours.
Love the Fuchs, where did you get them? Curious how they would look on a TT

Quick Reply: Who details your car?