Newbie Scored cylinders - 997.1 3.8L

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 11:10 PM
zghaith
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Newbie Scored cylinders - 997.1 3.8L

Hello all,

I seem to have the symptoms of scored cylinders in my 997.1 4S. Ticking noise appeared some time ago but is getting really loud, it burns so much oil, it frequently blows some smoke on startups, when acceleration, as well as on some downshifts when I rev-match. Haven't had the engine checked at a Service Center nor my usual mechanic yet, but I'm 90% sure it does have at least one scored cylinder. I really am frustrated with this rather costful problem.

I've been reading some threads about this particular issue with the 997.1 and 996 engines and I have found a couple of users saying that there is no more NEW 997.1 engines at the Porsche factory in Germany. I have also heard about Hartech and their replacement cylinders which is probably the most suitable option to me but how much do you guys think I'm going to pay for the parts if I was to replace 3 cylinders (Bank 2)? But to be honest I still cannot decide on anything. So, I need your help. what are the options that I have? Which is the cheapest? Which is the best for the car? Which do you recommend?

I will post a video of the car running showing the annoying noise very soon.

Any help would be much appreciated,
Zaid
Old 07-23-2015, 12:53 AM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

First step is to have bore scoping done. Post results and we'll all have a better sense of what happened and how to proceed. Jack Raby does rebuilds (as do others) and I doubt you can or should think about doing just one bank of cylinders. "Ugh" comes to mind

Note: don't pay to have the engine torn down by anyone (as in "we have to pull it and look inside to know...") unless it is by the one who will do the work. Waste of labor cost. Stick to the scoping for now.
Old 07-23-2015, 01:43 AM
altonj
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Often the borescope won't show the scoring. If looking in there, look on the top of the cylinder. This failure generally begins on #6 first. Pulling the header on bank 2 will likely show you the exhaust port with the problem cylinder or cylinders. It will be caked in burnt oil. This only take a few mins to remove.

In terms of repair, you really need to have all 6 machined and new pistons fitted to do the job correctly. There are a couple of good options stateside we have used. LN Engineering offers their "Nickies" with JE pistons and EBS racing has iron sleeved cylinders with JE pistons as well. You can go to 4.0 for about the same cost. We have used both systems with success.

We see this far more frequently than the well marketed/reported IMS issues for these cars... Currently we have 2 motors with this issue and another booked for September rebuild.
Old 07-23-2015, 01:54 AM
altonj
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here is what you are likely to see. This is #6 of a 987.1 Cayman we will be building.
Old 07-23-2015, 09:58 AM
mikeborden
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a bummer.

Time for an UPGRADE!

Mike
Old 07-23-2015, 06:31 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

Seeing these more and more... Kind of odd in your climate though, most certainly catalyzed by your fuel characteristics.

I can build it into my 4.2 easily :-)
Old 07-23-2015, 09:33 PM
fatfat
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can someone please tell me how long will the CATS last with so much motor oil going into the exhaust system, and how does one know when they require replacement? iam in same boat 06C2 with 104km in GTA.

thank you in advance.
Old 07-24-2015, 12:45 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fatfat
Can someone please tell me how long will the CATS last with so much motor oil going into the exhaust system, and how does one know when they require replacement? iam in same boat 06C2 with 104km in GTA.

thank you in advance.
CEL will show you the way. If your engine is failing why are you worried about the cats?
Old 07-24-2015, 05:02 PM
fatfat
Intermediate

my engine runs nice other then the loud tapping and oil usage. one can not hear it when radio is on, or above 3k rpm. or shall we say all engines are failing just like our bodies in time with decay the only constant.

BTW, i spoke to german mechanic here in newmarket, ontario, he suggested the scored bore is not because of engine running hot or sub-par oil. his opinion is the crank case was poorly designed resulting in pistons twisting in a matter that results in damage. ie, scored bore, D chuck.

his said rebuilding with same crank case will most likely have same issues 25-30km after overhauling with no warranty by then.

BUT are nikkies harder tougher then twisted pistons? at this point, best to buy a newer model Carrera.
Old 07-24-2015, 07:00 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

my engine runs nice other then the loud tapping and oil usage. one can not hear it when radio is on, or above 3k rpm. or shall we say all engines are failing just like our bodies in time with decay the only constant.
With this failure they all run nice... But its costing you dollars per minute of run me. Those noises are the engine screaming that its hurting. Keep driving it, and the wear metals generated by the failure will consume the engine from the inside out. The only good noise with an engine comes from mechanicals that are operating silently.

I see people do this all the time, and they cost themselves thousands of extra dollars.

BTW, i spoke to german mechanic here in newmarket, ontario, he suggested the scored bore is not because of engine running hot or sub-par oil. his opinion is the crank case was poorly designed resulting in pistons twisting in a matter that results in damage. ie, scored bore, D chuck.
Its due to many factors, the Lokasil bores and their running clearances are the main things, and cold operation is the catalyst- not heat. I see this dozens of times per year and have many studies under my belt to understand the dynamics of the failures. I have 7 Canadian cars here now with failed cylinders, more at one time than ever before.

his said rebuilding with same crank case will most likely have same issues 25-30km after overhauling with no warranty by then.
He is correct about that. Some don't last 5K.

BUT are nikkies harder tougher then twisted pistons? at this point,
I developed Nickies. The materials are more resilient to failure, and offer reduced wear and friction, BUT moreover the pistons are the proper forging, with the proper silicon content to match the operating clearances that are altered greatly from stock.

best to buy a newer model Carrera.
And have the same problem in a few years. Received two cylinder failure reports this week, one from a 2009 Carrera S in Seattle, and another with a 2012 base Carrera from Ontario. We've been developing the "fixes" for the 2009 and newer cars since mid 2010. We knew what was coming.
Old 07-24-2015, 07:58 PM
fatfat
Intermediate

thank you very much for all the great info. it really is confusing for me with lack of knowledge in this area.

best, fats.
Old 07-24-2015, 11:24 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Fats........sorry for your woes. My car suffered scored cylinders before I owned it. Jake reincarnated the car with nickies cylinders among other goodies. If you plan on keeping the car and can manage the time and money that goes into the fix you won't be disappointed. Best of luck!
Old 07-24-2015, 11:25 PM
jcsomerv
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Newbie Scored cylinders - 997.1 3.8L

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
. Received two cylinder failure reports this week, one from a 2009 Carrera S in Seattle, and another with a 2012 base Carrera from Ontario. We've been developing the "fixes" for the 2009 and newer cars since mid 2010. We knew what was coming.
Thanks for this information ... You are in the leading edge for sure. Anything us 997.2 owners can do to prevent the failures? Put it away for the winter? Avoid driving on very frigid days?

Last edited by jcsomerv; 07-25-2015 at 08:47 AM.
Old 07-26-2015, 03:52 AM
kkswow12
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 77 Posts

interesting,

Quick Reply: Newbie Scored cylinders - 997.1 3.8L