Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fidelity Platinum Extended Warranty - Recent Prices Here

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 08:33 PM
j beede
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is hard to imagine that Fidelity can cover labor intensive repairs like cracked heads, bore sleeves, and IMS related re-build. Key fob and wiper motor I can see them covering. Do they advertise on any Porsche sites? Does Sunset sell Fidelity warranties to remote buyers? Do they offer warranties without inspecting the car?
Old 07-25-2015, 11:29 PM
hBomb
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A Fidelity Platinum paid to replace the short block in my '06 c4s.
Old 07-26-2015, 11:25 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by j beede
It is hard to imagine that Fidelity can cover labor intensive repairs like cracked heads, bore sleeves, and IMS related re-build. Key fob and wiper motor I can see them covering. Do they advertise on any Porsche sites? Does Sunset sell Fidelity warranties to remote buyers? Do they offer warranties without inspecting the car?

Fidelity Platinum does pay on those items, as long as you did proper maintenance. Frequency is low so Fidelity has calculated the risks and prices the policies accordingly.

I paid $2,300 almost 4 years ago for a 7 year/ 70K policy when my 997.1 had 9,900 miles. $100 deductible.

So far they paid my dealer $1,300 for replacing the TPMS with no adjuster visit. I have another 3 years and 57K miles left.
Old 07-26-2015, 11:32 AM
Schnell Bewegen
Intermediate

I have a Fidelity warranty on my C4S Cab. It covered new coils and saved me $800 out of pocket.
I got Gold Plus coverage, 48 months with $100 deductible for $2700. It's already paying for itself and gives good peace of mind.
Old 07-26-2015, 06:32 PM
bgrpph
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

yes sunset porsche (oregon) sells Fidelity warranties over the phone to out of state buyers. They'll send you the actual contract lang b4 buying- Call their Fin Mgr & get RL pricing for varioius yrs/miles & diff deductibles.
Lots of posts here & on 6sp re fidelity & prices folks paid at various places- The platinum coverage is exclusionary & lists items not covered rather than their other policies that list covered items-
Old 07-31-2015, 03:25 PM
Loganp
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GBG
5 years or 100k miles for a 80k mile 911?? So your coverage lasts for 180k miles or is it just a 20k miles warranty?? If only 20k, it sounds too short and expensive. If 180k, I've never heard of such a long aftermarket warranty... for $4200? Sounds too good to be true... Is company legit? Can you post link at your convenience? Thanks!

It's actually until 180k. Crazy right? Wantedautoprotect.com
They did just replace my motor..So, I would say they're pretty legit..
Old 10-26-2015, 05:45 PM
bommerts
Instructor

Originally Posted by GBG
5 years or 100k miles for a 80k mile 911?? So your coverage lasts for 180k miles or is it just a 20k miles warranty?? If only 20k, it sounds too short and expensive. If 180k, I've never heard of such a long aftermarket warranty... for $4200? Sounds too good to be true... Is company legit? Can you post link at your convenience? Thanks!
I'm shopping warranties and I got quoted Wanted Auto Protect's 5 yr / 100k warranty also. It is 5 add'l years and 100k add'l miles. Fantastic pricing. I'm hesitant because the pricing is so good. Been reading on other forums...seems many have had success.

One example from the M5 board:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60...-question.html

Then there are some that caution against them:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60...uestion-2.html

"Wanted Auto Project, Fidelity Automotive Solutions (NOT Fidelity Warranty Services), Direct Buy Auto, and lots of others are scams. This industry is largely an unregulated minefield. Be very careful, and please ask me if you are not sure. I have no problem recommending other companies if their plan is a better fit for a potential customer. I make enough money selling cars that I do not have to trick people into buying warranties from me. But I hate to see people get ripped off. If you saw the emails I got, you would not believe it. There are some real horror stories out there, and many of them are self-inflicted."
Old 10-26-2015, 09:55 PM
storch
Instructor

Anyone familiar with Preferred Warranties Inc.?
My local shop offers it
Old 10-27-2015, 12:24 PM
jsalah
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SamDaMan
I know people have weighed in on the +/- of buying an extended warranty.

That's not this thread.
Originally Posted by j beede
These warranties have a negative reputation. What has your direct experience been?
So where IS the "definitive" pros/cons thread? I got my 2010 C4S Cab this August. Just over 16k miles -- I'm up to around 17,100 now. Car looks and feels mint. Bought from a volume exotics dealer (was his personal car), clean carfax, spoke with original dealer that sold it and the subsequent ones who serviced it. Full PPI (except DME/overrevs -- hadn't learned about that yet) done at a Porsche dealer -- passed 100% (the Porsche dealer who did the PPI said to me -- actual quote: "This car is basically perfect.")

This is a purely weekend, fairweather car for me. I will be lucky to put 3,000 miles a year on it.

NO IDEA what to do. So many differing opinions. Do I drop $3k-$4k on an aftermarket warranty?? I've had older cars before and I know the troubles that can exist (see, e.g. Ferrari and Alfa in my signature.. lol...) My last Porsche (Cayman S) was bought new and under warranty so I don't have long term experience with 911/out of warranty ownership yet.

Help.
Old 10-27-2015, 03:14 PM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Seriously, the answer is always, 'Do not buy a warranty.'

Because as pure math, done by the insurance companies, as a group, Porsche owners (and other warranty buyers) spend more on the warranties than will be paid out in claims.

Should you buy a warranty comes down to an irrational response, which you want to address, so you can sleep at night.

In that case, buy a warranty... because you don't care about math, odds, etc. In no logical sense does a warranty make sense. it is almost always an illogical thing to do... and we all know this and we buy warranties... and I am looking at one, too.

But don't ask if it makes sense. It doesn't. Should I buy a warranty? Yes, if you're like a lot of other people who deal with this issue emotionally, rather than logically.

Over my life, just in loose calculations, I have saved over 30,000 dollars by always turning down warranties that require me to pay for them. Every gizmo, car, boat, appliance, etc. I am probably conservative at a 30 grand estimate.
Old 10-27-2015, 03:56 PM
gotgolf52
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

Circle Porsche, Long Beach CA sell out of state warranty. My 2008 997 Turbo has 9968 miles, warranty cost $2400 for 6 years/60k miles with $200 deductible. So far, charcoal canister fro the emission system fail and activated CEL cost $900, dealer call them for authorize on the phone and fixed without any issue.
Old 10-27-2015, 05:53 PM
secondshot
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Jsalah, I see you have a Cab like me. Interestingly, I agree with Philster...probably doens't make logical sense, but i have one. $2500 for a 5/50 on a 09 C4S that started with 9kmi. I did NOT buy it from the dealer and shopped hard for a Fidelity Platinum--ended up getting it from a VW dealer. I have not had to use it, but the one thing I was very nervous about was the convertible top motors/mechanism. Have friends who have had the pump go, and it is expensive. Now, the funny thing is it is like bringing a jacket or an umbrella, once purchased it will most likely never break.

Oh, and one HUGE point. The Fidelity Warranty is TRANSFERABLE. So, you may get some of your premium back on resale. (yea, I know I am dreaming...)
Old 10-27-2015, 07:36 PM
bommerts
Instructor

Originally Posted by TOPGUN8
With 15,000 miles on my 997.2 I purchased the Fidelity Premium warranty, $250 deductible, 6 yr/60,000 miles for $2817.00. There's a lot of room in the pricing of these warranties so check around.
Where did you buy yours from?
Old 10-27-2015, 07:50 PM
bommerts
Instructor

Originally Posted by bgrpph
i paid $4300 last yr for 6yr/60k miles $250 ded platinum warranty for 07 997.1TT w under 25kmiles on it-from sunset porsche in oregon- i had no issue with warranty claims from fidelity for few items on previous 02 996C2 (RMS, window reg, key remote, etc)-
one item to be aware of, when you get to 50k miles - their contract excludes coverage for gradual reduction in operating efficiency or some such language- My '07 TT is still low mileage so i probably won't get over 50k b4 warranty expires- Wife 07 BoxsterS- needs upper strut bearings- dealer said Fidelity most likely won't cover this item under their gradual reduction clause, since car has 60k miles.
Who did you deal with at Sunset? I just got a quote from them. Horrible pricing compared to a couple other dealers. I think they have a new finance manager.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:53 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

When the factory warranty expired on my '03 Merc E-class I bought a 6-yr platinum-level extended warranty. It paid itself off in 4, I was about $3500 ahead when it expired. At that time I couldn't get another exclusionary warranty, so I took the top-tier named-item warranty for 3 more years. I was $2800 ahead when it expired.

When the CPO expired on my 997 I bought a 6 year platinum-level warranty. I'm still about $800 in the red at this point, but it has another 15 months to run. One "minor" repair could easily put me over the top into the black, meantime I'm protected in case of catastrophic failure.

I had similar experience with 4 Bimmers previously, always ended up on the winning side of extended warranties, saved a tad over $10K on those. And I have never had a claim denied, or had to fight to get approval. By my calculation I have NETTED almost enough money with all those warranties to put a new engine in my 997 if it ever needs one after my warranty expires. And that's not counting what this warranty may yet reimburse me in the next year.

Quick Reply: Fidelity Platinum Extended Warranty - Recent Prices Here