Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 997.1 Carrera S going in for trans rebuild - do I bother with IMS upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2015 | 12:39 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Carmichael
^ Mr. Raby has some experience to conclude that is a bad idea ...

http://www.flat6innovations.com/index.php/broken-crank
3 so far in 2015....
Old 07-22-2015 | 12:39 PM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jason F
Hi all.

I just picked up a 2006 Carrera S with a manual (of course) and it turns out my first gear is bad, either chipped or cracked based on the clackity noise in first gear and the metal in the gear oil when I had it drained.

Anyway, while the transmission is out and being rebuilt along with a wavetrac LSD install (by BMCG-Gearbox), would you recommend that I do an IMS upgrade? I was surprised to find the cost of $800 for the parts from LN and Tuners Motorsports DOF system. Car has 82K miles and will see weekend and track usage, though not a dedicated track car. Are either of these systems preferable over the other?

First hand experience appreciated, but all input welcomed.

Thanks,
Jason
As per the best voice on the subject of IMS, Jake, leave it alone. If I lived near Jake I would have a whole different thought on what I did or didn't to to my car. But I don't and so I have an aftermarket warranty on my 06 S and that covers all the seals and engine stuff. However...modifying the engine from factory specs can void all warranties, aftermarket and CPO, so as others have said, just drive it and enjoy it and leave what Porsche did alone.
Old 07-22-2015 | 01:13 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
3 so far in 2015....
I wish somebody would make a lightened dual-mass flywheel for our cars like Porsche did for the Cayman GT4.

I did a lightweight aluminum flywheel on my Talon and my MINI and dropped 15 and 25 lbs, respectively. Made a big difference in response.

But it's not worth a two-piece crankshaft!
Old 07-22-2015 | 04:33 PM
Ericson38
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gpjli2
Not so. As I said they are now able to remove 06+ bearings with a little machining. Plus check Raby's response later in thread on bearing failures.
Who is they ?

The 6305 bearing radius is about .295 inches more than that for the 6204 bearing, so unless the factory increased the IMSB access bore diameter and the reinforced shoulder and area around it for the IMS bearing retainer, that is a lot of machining, into the existing M96/M97 bell housing mounting lip.

Could it not be that Porsche already saw the dimensional limits of the block in this area and couldn't provide the bore diameter to make it removable ?
Old 07-23-2015 | 06:36 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Makes zero sense to me... Plus, how about the debris generated? The 06+ IMSB has proven to be a solid performer, we don't see them fail unless they are on the track; even then they hold up pretty well. Use good oil and drive it, don't worry about crazy procedures that bring more variables into the equation that can CAUSE issues..

a decade into the M97 IMSB we have only seen 1/2 dozen total failures. Thats nothing.
Old 07-24-2015 | 05:24 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Makes zero sense to me... Plus, how about the debris generated? The 06+ IMSB has proven to be a solid performer, we don't see them fail unless they are on the track; even then they hold up pretty well. Use good oil and drive it, don't worry about crazy procedures that bring more variables into the equation that can CAUSE issues..

a decade into the M97 IMSB we have only seen 1/2 dozen total failures. Thats nothing.
Jake, what is your opinion about removal of a front seal from an IMS bearing on a car with a lot of milage, as it is a relatively simple procedure to do? Is it something worth doing or it is not going to help anything at all? Or chances to damage bearing during seal removal are higher than a possible positive effect from more oil getting into the bearing?
Old 07-25-2015 | 11:42 AM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Ericson38
Who is they ?

The 6305 bearing radius is about .295 inches more than that for the 6204 bearing, so unless the factory increased the IMSB access bore diameter and the reinforced shoulder and area around it for the IMS bearing retainer, that is a lot of machining, into the existing M96/M97 bell housing mounting lip.

Could it not be that Porsche already saw the dimensional limits of the block in this area and couldn't provide the bore diameter to make it removable ?
I do not recall saying this was a good idea. The video is out there on one of the bearing replacement/dof project sites. None of this replacement/dof stuff wr to the 06+ motor is a good idea imo.

Best advise is leave it alone but there is ims anxiety created on this and like sites and there is money to be made. As an expert in the matter, Jack Raby is to be commended for his honest statement here. Thank you Sir.
Old 07-25-2015 | 12:08 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

I have a directive about seal removal on the M97 IMSB cars. Yes, I do believe it is a good idea, IF you already HAVE to go in to change a clutch. If you don't fit that description, just drive it.

Don't do anything except more frequent oil services, every 6 months of 5K miles, and don't use an oil thats filled with chlorinated paraffin, despite what Porsche may tell you.

Do that, and live happily ever after.
Old 07-25-2015 | 12:37 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Default Board Administrator

I have a directive about seal removal on the M97 IMSB cars. Yes, I do believe it is a good idea, IF you already HAVE to go in to change a clutch. If you don't fit that description, just drive it.

Don't do anything except more frequent oil services, every 6 months of 5K miles, and don't use an oil thats filled with chlorinated paraffin, despite what Porsche may tell you.

Do that, and live happily ever after.
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR: Posting this as a sticky would be of great benefit to past, present and future members of this board who have to live with an IMS and are losing sleep. I would just emphasize that this advise pertains to the 06+ 997's with the large bearing. Now to go check my stash of Motul oil.
Old 07-25-2015 | 02:39 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

It took me 10 years to gather the trend data to make this statement. Things are much different than they were 10 years into the M96 engine.

BUT everything changes if you track the car. What Porsche did to strengthen the bearing, and remove load on the street increased surface speed. This worked great on the street, but moved failures from the street (M96) to the track (M97).
Old 08-04-2015 | 09:02 AM
M3 Defector
Rennlist Member

Default 2006 997.1 Carrera S going in for trans rebuild - do I bother with IMS upgrade?

I won't say which race team because I don't have their permission, but I spoke to a team that races a lot of IMSB Caymans and has several IMSB 997.1 customer race cars and some of their own and they have not had any failures due to IMSB. Not saying I disagree with flat6, just saying even if you track, the car it is still very solid.
Old 08-04-2015 | 09:26 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

It all boils down to luck with this.

The M97.21 engine (06-08 Cayman S) isn't known for IMSB issues. They are known for rod and main bearing clearances being too tight, and causing a host of issues on the track.

Some people never have an issue, others have had 3-4 engines in 5-6 years.
Old 08-04-2015 | 01:26 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

It all boils down to luck with this.

The M97.21 engine (06-08 Cayman S) isn't known for IMSB issues. They are known for rod and main bearing clearances being too tight, and causing a host of issues on the track.

Some people never have an issue, others have had 3-4 engines in 5-6 years.
OTT (sorta): RMH in different thread above has a post on "metal shavings..." He currently has a pic up of magnetic plug and what ll a pile of debris from his 997.2

How should one proceed in this scenario to identify what is happening?
TIA.
Old 08-04-2015 | 01:31 PM
Jason F
Instructor

I put a magnetic oil drain plug in during my first oil change, I'm curious to see what sticks to it. Hopefully not much at all.
Old 08-04-2015 | 07:01 PM
Sporty
Three Wheelin'

Comeon Jake -you know better. Some M96s have the larger revised bearing as well. Mine is a base 2005 997, build date 03/05, M96 with the bigger bearing - based on visual inspection with myself and Indy.

Quick Reply: 2006 997.1 Carrera S going in for trans rebuild - do I bother with IMS upgrade?