Sponsored by:

Where do you speed?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 02:18 PM
rjshar
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Where do you speed?

So first of all I am NOT interested in breaking the law or putting anyone else in the way of harm by driving recklessly. What I want to know is, is there anywhere I can go to simply just take my car up to 130mph or so in a straight line, then go home. Obviously I could go to a track, but that's a whole day ordeal and will cost a lot of money and I'll need to get licensed, and all of that good stuff. I'm really just looking to keep it simple and want a safe place to go to drive fast for a brief period of time. Any suggestions? If it helps, I'm in SoFla.
Old 07-12-2015, 02:27 PM
rickdogg82
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

A drag strip won't get you to 130 but might be the easiest and safest way to enjoy higher than legal speeds.

Maybe this as well http://wannagofast.com/
Old 07-12-2015, 02:29 PM
rjshar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rickdogg82
A drag strip won't get you to 130 but might be the easiest and safest way to enjoy higher than legal speeds.
How much of a time and money commitment is it to get on a drag strip?
Old 07-12-2015, 02:42 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,644 Likes on 980 Posts

Originally Posted by rickdogg82
I suspect I would hit this at top end at Summit Point in my Boxster S if I really pushed it in turn 10 and got a good jump into the straight. I say suspect as I wasn't looking at my speedo at that point.... I was usually really white knuckled about to pound my brakes. I suspect I hit that based on the gear and RPMs I hit.

Honestly, any monkey can press a gas pedal .... these modern sporty cars are so darn solid and stable..... try doing 80 in a 1970 Buick Skylark that sagged on its suspension with clunking ball joints.... now that is stupid (and fun).

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 07-12-2015, 03:23 PM
Alexandrius
Pro

Go to highway at 3am with a valentine 1 radar detector and go crazy and have fun. Prepare to pay a huge ticket and or find lawyers.

Or just go to a track, it isn't anywhere near as big a commitment as you make it out to be.
Old 07-12-2015, 09:04 PM
Szymon Kowalczyk
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everywhere.
Old 07-12-2015, 09:27 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,706 Likes on 4,263 Posts

Everywhere except in neighborhoods where there might be kids playing. One of my favorite spots, where I've passed 100 MPH multiple times is on the dam before my neighborhood when no one is in front of me and no cars coming the other way. It's a straight 2 lane state highway with guardrails on both sides and no cross traffic openings where other vehicles could enter.
Old 07-12-2015, 10:08 PM
Buddhamonk
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

school zones are the best
Old 07-12-2015, 10:31 PM
jcsomerv
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

I like to cruise slowly through school zones with PSE "on" and try to catch the eye of 10 year old kids drooling over the car (maybe 1 in 10 do) .... Knowing that I did the exact same thing as a kid and it motivated me my entire life to work hard to obtain one.... Doing my bit one kid at a time ... 😄

As for speeding, never, ever where there is pedestrian traffic. I live in a city and have seen too many people hit... I crawl around street corners and school zones. But on my way to the cottage, there are beautiful 2-lane roads where I can see for miles ahead where I love to put the hammer down... I back off when I hit 2x the speed limit (around 100 mph) but catch myself laughing out loud at the symphony of sound and trees rushing by on both sides. It is wonderful. I also hammer it while passing other cars (and especially minivans and SUVs) on these 2-lanes ... Again getting way above the limit and backing off but it's great. Lastly, long sweeping highway on/off ramps. Never seen a cop checking speed here so I like to open up, generally on my way to work - gets me ready for the grind.

Never been to 130, nor sustained high speed - I just take it up and down and don't desire anything further. If you want to sustain a high rate of speed you should take it to the track.

Last edited by jcsomerv; 07-12-2015 at 11:08 PM.
Old 07-12-2015, 11:37 PM
Rick-A-Shay
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

East of Barstow on the way to Vegas….
Old 07-12-2015, 11:45 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

I've done over 200 MPH on the Mulsanne straight in a few cars including the McLaren F1 on Forza 5.

In real life the fastest i've hit would probably be the back straight of Road Atlanta (142mph) in a stock Ford Boss 302 Mustang. The track is legal but still dangerous. Are you interested in HPDE?
Old 07-12-2015, 11:46 PM
geardown
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get to the track w a PCA DE day. It's well worth the commitment and you will be a better driver. At 130 mph your ticket will cost you more than a DE day
Old 07-13-2015, 12:24 AM
D3RP
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Lyons Ferry Rd, WA

Paved like a freeway in the middle of endless wheat fields. Don't know why, but it works for the purpose indicated by the OP. Admittedly, it is a bit of a commute from Florida.

LINK:
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/46.4...!4m1!3e0?hl=en
Old 07-13-2015, 12:34 AM
rjshar
Rennlist Member

Op here... Some of these replies are hilarious. I hit 140 in my 3 series in the upper peninsula of Michigan, it was a blast. At the time, I was young an reckless. After seeing so many horrible drivers endanger my life, I certainly don't want to cause anyone else any trouble now days.

I'm not targeting specifically 130, I'm just wanting to see what these machines can do, because getting up to 70, 80, or even 90 is just so far within their ability. Obviously handling is the most amazing aspect about these cars.

I'm certainly interested in HPDE's, and should probably take the plunge rather than half way trying to quench my thirst. I am thinking I may head out to the WPB drag strip at some point since it seems to be relatively painless to get on the strip and do a few runs. Homestead seems much more involved.
Old 07-13-2015, 01:12 AM
Alexandrius
Pro

350 bucks for NASA HPDE, 300-400 (Lockton HPDE insurance) more bucks to FULLY insure your vehicle so even if you suck you will be ok.

It's worth it. 750 bucks max to fully enjoy the track without worrying about other things. You will not be able to fully test capabilities anywhere else. Believe me; I have attempted to drive on back roads how I drive on track...for reasons that will go unmentioned I have not achieved success.

Quick Reply: Where do you speed?