Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question regarding jacking the car...

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 03:42 PM
alexaqui
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Question regarding jacking the car...

I have been searching the forum for quite some time regarding the best way to jack up the car and have a few questions. I realize this is a topic discussed a lot and still have some questions. I am not comfortable jacking it up from the unofficial mid-point in the rear of the car as per most DIY articles here suggest.

Is it acceptable to jack up just the rear of the car using the front jack points if all I want to do is raise the rear a bit? Most people start jacking the front up from the rear and then go to the back to the midpoint of the rear to get the rear up. Is it okay to raise the car enough from the front to put just the rear on jackstands? Is this bad for the car?

If so, can I put the car up on a few 2x10s to slowly raise it, then jack from the front the last little bit to clear a jackstand in the rear?

Ideally, I would like to buy the jackstand product, which many of you use. I have emailed them twice so far and have yet to get a response. No response, no phone number makes me very hesitant to order from them.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 07-08-2015, 04:46 PM
da1098r
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-securely.html

This diy is good
Old 07-08-2015, 05:01 PM
alexaqui
Racer

Originally Posted by da1098r
I am worried about lifting the car from the non "official" points, which I believe this is doing. Doesn't this put a lot of stress on the car?
Old 07-08-2015, 05:14 PM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by alexaqui
I am worried about lifting the car from the non "official" points, which I believe this is doing. Doesn't this put a lot of stress on the car?
Just buy JackPoint stands and you will have no problems. www.jackpointjackstands.com
Old 07-08-2015, 05:20 PM
da1098r
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, here is how I think about this. Porsche designed the car with 4 points for jacks. This was done before Jackspoint jack stands existd. This means, that there has to be a 5th point to lift the car, to enable the placement of the 4th jack. From what I have seen in the various DIYs, there is the rear suspension placement point, and the mid engine lift point (close to the lower oil pan). Based on those choices, I would go with the rear suspension point. And no, I don't believe that this negatively impacts the car.
Old 07-08-2015, 05:38 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

back does both ends nicely
Attached Images  
Old 07-08-2015, 05:55 PM
alexaqui
Racer

Originally Posted by SteveFromMN
Just buy JackPoint stands and you will have no problems. www.jackpointjackstands.com
I would love to. I sent them questions via their form and via their email address and have not heard anything from them. There is no phone number listed, so who knows what they are doing. Makes me wonder if their product really is safe if you have no way to contact them and they appear to be non-responsive. A company that is non-responsive is not going to get my money. How long until they ship if they cannot even respond to an email?
Old 07-08-2015, 05:56 PM
alexaqui
Racer

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
I want to get the back on jackstands. Can I do the same with the fronts?
Old 07-08-2015, 06:05 PM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
+1

Look at this when I changed front tires. I only used the jack at the rear to lift. I have a cab but still you can see the chassis is pretty stiff as the front is lifted almost as high as the rear. The floor is even tilting slightly upwards towards the front.

BUT - the rear is much heavier than the front so I would not lift in the front just to raise the rear.
Attached Images  
Old 07-08-2015, 06:13 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

I would love to. I sent them questions via their form and via their email address and have not heard anything from them. There is no phone number listed, so who knows what they are doing. Makes me wonder if their product really is safe if you have no way to contact them and they appear to be non-responsive. A company that is non-responsive is not going to get my money. How long until they ship if they cannot even respond to an email?
They've always been responsive to me - are you using this email address:
John@jackpoint.us

John Walton is the manager.
Old 07-08-2015, 09:57 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Not safe to keep a car up with a jack.
Old 07-08-2015, 10:58 PM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Been super responsive to me also. I use them on my Cayenne with some mods and my wife's Mercedes. A super safe and effective way to work on these cars.
Car manufactures are not designing cars for do it yourself any more. Well it might work to jack it up where you say it's your car I won't jack mine up that way.
I have never had a car fall on or near me and after 50 years of working on them I don't intend to have it happen now.
Old 07-08-2015, 11:15 PM
Jossue
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want to raise just the back I use the crossmember aft of the last underbody cover/panel If you have a low profile jack you place it in the middle and done it will jack the rear both sides at the same time I will try to post a pic when I get off work

And yes it is perfectly safe
Old 07-09-2015, 02:10 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Received 300 Likes on 177 Posts

Why doesn't someone just make some small ratcheting mini scissor jacks? I mean the rolling jack on my 4 post is basically that and it lifts both ends. Whether pneumatic or mechanical, the ratcheting would provide the safety. Yet, I've never seen any ... why?
Old 07-09-2015, 02:41 PM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Racetwin2
BUT - the rear is much heavier than the front so I would not lift in the front just to raise the rear.
not sure how well it works on OEM (i never had to jack before i upgraded my suspension) but i have bilsteins/firmer springs/TPC sways so when i use a front point, i get BOTH fronts up. easily.

Quick Reply: Question regarding jacking the car...