Help with wheels.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 09:16 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,475 Likes on 926 Posts

Originally Posted by halo777
The right 20s can look amazing on the 997. Ill probably go with 19s, but as ynot pointed out, with the right tires 20s are fine for ride quality.

If you get the right ones, they might even be lighter AND stronger than peoples 18s. Ask Dennis

Here is one set that I think looked very good

Ask me???

Are you trying to bait me into giving my soapbox speech on gyroscopic stabilization force?

I think 20" wheels look nice. I've never had an issue with that. Personally, I don't believe that tires impact ride quality as much as suspension. My 997 with 19" wheels has a better ride than my 996 with 18" wheels did, even with Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s on each.

My only goal in these types of discussions is to help people understand the facts. In every decision you make regarding modificiations, there are consequences. Some are acceptable, some are not. Only the individual buyer can decide what makes sense for them.
Old 06-05-2015, 09:30 PM
halo777
Rennlist Member

Received 107 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
Ask me???

Are you trying to bait me into giving my soapbox speech on gyroscopic stabilization force?
LOL! Sorry, I got you mixed up with the guy I sold a set of ultralight 20 inch forged wheels to last year. His name on Rennlist is 'Denis with his turbo'. I keep seeing you posting, and I was thinking you were him LOL

These were the wheels. The 20x8.5 fronts were something like 19 pounds and the 20x12 rears were 24

There were beautiful in person, and so strange to pickup a 20 inch wheel, and feel that it was so light.
Old 06-05-2015, 10:05 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,475 Likes on 926 Posts

No worries. I see him over on the turbo boards regularly!
Old 06-05-2015, 11:14 PM
EMC2
Burning Brakes

Received 433 Likes on 173 Posts

Great looking car.

If your objective is aesthetics, I would strongly recommend looking at the ride height first, (before the 20' wheels) if your car is on standard suspension. If the wheel arch gap or ride height is of concern, I've seen some cars look worse off with a wheel size increase.

I know lowering is not for everyone, but just in case you've not yet considered the option here is my take;
I was not happy with the standard factory ride height or suspension. It just didn't feel as 'tight' as i thought it should for a small coupe.

The modest drop I achieved with TechArt springs and some other minor suspension upgrades at the same time transformed the car completely from a handling and looks perspective. Just wanted to add a different perspective if it can be of value.

Detailed measurements and review here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...r-install.html

Whichever route you go, good luck with your planning.

Quick Reply: Help with wheels.