Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me decide on new wheels

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2015 | 12:47 PM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

BBS LMs FTW!

It's one of those unassailable position, LMs win every wheel argument.

Kinda like how there's always room for dessert, or how you always choose root beer over other pop, or how men can always eat ("you hungry?" "not really, but meh......I could eat...").
Old 06-02-2015 | 03:54 PM
Ten Years
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
I like both wheels. I am heavily influence by their build quality. The red stripe on the HRE's? I'm not a fan of that. If it were a sticker and removable? I'd take those. The Champions are fantastic too.
The above BBS? I don't like nuts and bolts in a three piece, or a simulated 3 piece. Too hard to clean, may add weight...
If you were a chick, and these were shoes, you'd get both sets.

Actually, the BBS are the only true two-piece wheels here. I've gone through enough sets of wheels, from most of the "big name" and boutique companies to know that sticking with the companies that have true motorsport experience is never a bad idea. From fit-and-finish, to quality of construction, companies like BBS, who have long and storied histories in motorsport, are still a step above most of the newcomers.

The bolt heads on the Champions are non-functional, if I recall correctly. Purely decorative. For that design, the above set without the faux bolt heads is nicer. Not a fan of polished rims/lips, though. And as nice as some HREs are, compared to BBS, they're more of a beautiful street wheel, IMO. That's probably fine if the OP doesn't ever plan to track his car. (Btw, if that particular black/red set was powder coated by someone other than HRE, I'd skip them no matter what. So many forged wheels have been compromised and weakened by people getting them powder coated on-the-cheap, for looks alone, with no consideration given to the structural integrity of the wheels. Those wheels will likely crack and break over time.)

Originally Posted by Saaboteur
BBS LMs FTW!

It's one of those unassailable position, LMs win every wheel argument.

Kinda like how there's always room for dessert, or how you always choose root beer over other pop, or how men can always eat ("you hungry?" "not really, but meh......I could eat...").
LMs and LM-Rs are (future) classics, like the 997. Timeless.
Old 06-02-2015 | 04:41 PM
BrakingBad
Drifting

BBS. I absolutely will not run spacers. Ten years's BBS are narrow body offset and would need spacers for my 4s otherwise they would already be on my car.
Old 06-02-2015 | 10:02 PM
Ten Years
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BrakingBad
BBS. I absolutely will not run spacers. Ten years's BBS are narrow body offset and would need spacers for my 4s otherwise they would already be on my car.
I respect that others are averse to running spacers. I used to be the exact same way. I think I even posted almost exactly what you did, regarding using them. I've since run high-quality hub centric spacers, with high-quality longer bolts, and I have gotten over my aversion to spacers. Keep in mind, Porsche uses spacers as stock, on some models. I think 997.1 GT3s ran 5 mm spacers, from the factory?

It's too bad you're against them, as these wheels would look amazing on your Aqua Blue C4S. (Your photoshoot that you did soon after taking delivery of your car really inspired make the switch from my beloved Narrow Body C2S to a Wide Body car, myself; I've since bought a 997.2 GTS. ;-) ) A simple 15 mm hub centric spacer would push these wheels out to ET52, which is equal to stock Wide Body rear wheel fitment. I know you know all this. ;-)

Anyway, I wish I could run these BBS on my GTS. As we all know, that's not possible without losing the center lock hubs (yes, I said "losing," meaning I actually like the center locks). I also wish I could run spacers on my center lock wheels, which is, sadly, impossible as well. ;-) At least the GTS center lock wheels are forged BBS mesh wheels, too, FTW!

Last edited by Ten Years; 06-02-2015 at 10:18 PM.
Old 06-02-2015 | 10:24 PM
Schpee007
Pro

Default Help me decide on new wheels

Champions. But I also like your existing Carrera Sport wheels. Oh the decisions with these cars!
Old 06-02-2015 | 11:18 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Ten Years
Keep in mind, Porsche uses spacers as stock, on some models. I think 997.1 GT3s ran 5 mm spacers, from the factory?
Actually I think both the GT3 and the GT3RS came with factory spacers.

I also wish I could run spacers on my center lock wheels, which is, sadly, impossible as well. ;-) At least the GTS center lock wheels are forged BBS mesh wheels, too, FTW!
I say this since I ran into another GTS owner who didn't know this: You can get center lock wheels flush with the fenders but you have to order after market wheels with custom offset. My Forgelines have offsets that look like the standard treatment of 7mm/15mm spacers were mounted.
Old 06-02-2015 | 11:44 PM
Ten Years
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Actually I think both the GT3 and the GT3RS came with factory spacers.
That's right. If Porsche is okay with them on their highest performing cars....

Originally Posted by sandwedge
I say this since I ran into another GTS owner who didn't know this: You can get center lock wheels flush with the fenders but you have to order after market wheels with custom offset. My Forgelines have offsets that look like the standard treatment of 7mm/15mm spacers were mounted.

Yes, Forgelines are the only boutique firm I'm willing to go with, going forward. (I've worked with others already.) They definitely are making a solid name for themselves in motorsport, and the toughness and quality of their racing wheels definitely translate to their street wheels. I love the ones that you got with your car (GA1Rs are awesome). Alan C. has some damn good taste in wheels. ;-) I'll likely get a set made in the future, but I'm enjoying my car, as-is, for now. I did get the black center lock nuts and caps, which together have transformed the look of the wheels overall.
Old 06-03-2015 | 12:01 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by waizone
Here's a pic

IMO, you already own the best looking Porsche wheels wheels for a 997 (.1 or.2). If I owned them, I would not change them, especially for either of the two wheels you posted. I don't like black wheels (soooo over-done) and the Champion wheels you posted are a dated design.
Old 06-03-2015 | 12:38 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Alan C. has some damn good taste in wheels. ;-)
Old 06-03-2015 | 01:23 AM
powderzone
Instructor

Originally Posted by gota911
IMO, you already own the best looking Porsche wheels wheels for a 997 (.1 or.2). If I owned them, I would not change them, especially for either of the two wheels you posted. I don't like black wheels (soooo over-done) and the Champion wheels you posted are a dated design.
^^^^^
THIS.
Love those OEM rims. Drop the car a bit with eibach or techart springs, spacers and voila. It will look amazing.
Old 06-03-2015 | 06:31 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Silver bbd by a mile
Old 06-03-2015 | 06:57 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

I don't like black wheels at all….not even a little bit. Of the wheels here I like the BBS the best by far.

I do like the wheels you currently have on the car as well.

Good Luck with your decision! Also that red stripe…I have a soft spot for that as I had a TR-6 with those famous red line tires that I loved. Not sure about the 997 with those but I'd have to consider it.

Tom
Old 06-04-2015 | 05:37 AM
AlohaCS
Rennlist Member

+1 - don't like black wheels.
Old 06-04-2015 | 10:08 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gota911

Agree 100%.

Have the same as the OP and after looking at other wheels, I cannot find ones that look better.
Old 06-04-2015 | 11:48 AM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

In my opinion, your car deserves a more timeless motorsport inspired wheel, like the modern classic BBS LM-R. Mine are for sale, and I'm just up here in Newport Beach.

19" BBS LM-Rs on my GT Silver 997.2 C2S:

Oh God I need a moment to myself.

Quick Reply: Help me decide on new wheels