997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

noobie here

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2015 | 12:34 PM
pavster
Instructor

Hm yeah I would hate to be greeted with 'do a search' on one of my first forum posts...

@tdp - I can relate what I think are the two most important changes in the 997.2:

1. Direct Injection motor - which means fuel goes directly into the cylinders. This is a bit more complex than port injection used in 997.1 - requires a high pressure fuel pump, which is a well known failure point - though seems to be reliable in 911's. Other brands have terrible issues of carbon build-up - where partially burned fuel exits the cylinder into the intake and cakes there restricting the flow. I haven't heard Porsche having this issue, so maybe they avoided it somehow.

2. No more Intermediate Shaft (IMS) bearing, which means no more blown engines due to its failure. Do your research on this one, but it seems this was a very common issue on cars up to 2005, less common after that, and 2009+ simply don't have the failure-prone part. IMS breakdown isn't the only failure mode of this engine - so don't think that just because you don't have one, you're safe. Later year 997.1's seem to have mostly resolved the IMS issue, as at least anecdotally there haven't been as many (or any?) reports of their failures.

Honestly to me all the other changes are subjective. My 997.1 is all the 911 I could ever want, but to some people the 997.2 suspension, exterior, and interior changes are important. I can definitely say my 2008 C2 has been the best car I've ever owned in the 6.5 years of its life so far. My biggest gripe is that I have struggled to find anything to modify when I get the urge - it all just works so well in stock form - on the less than perfects streets where I live.
Old 06-09-2015 | 12:55 PM
upier
Racer

Originally Posted by 177mph
+1.

I do searches for topics I need to know more about- and more than half the time - the threads dissolve into conversations and discussions when i just want clear answers. But i still love rennlist
So true the average thread is helpful for 8 to 10 posts before getting derailed and moved off topic. Not that those side trails aren't fun too.
Old 06-09-2015 | 01:47 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

The only major direct mention missing that see is the arrival of the PDK dual-clutch transmission as a replacement to Tiptronic. Outside of the purist argument of a manual stick vs PDK, the most tangible thing the PDK brings is a much faster shift time than is humanly possible, dropping 0-60 times by more than two-tenths of a second... if that is an important thing to you.

The electronics were mentioned and I have to agree that the 997.2 electronic upgrades are quite worthwhile as well, although it's still not as up-to-date as many other cars. Most 997.2s will include Bluetooth (for voice but not for audio streaming) and an external plug-in interface for iPods and such. The materials used on the face and buttons are much better too.

I think all of the other significant improvements are already covered. A dealer will be very glad to let you test drive both. Be sure to try a PDK too unless you must have a manual.
Old 06-09-2015 | 02:21 PM
tdp1
8th Gear

No problem, I did buy a 2012 Carrera S. I do have lots of questions since I've never owned one before. I have had many Corvettes over the years but have always loved the 911. Here are some pics.
Attached Images           
Old 06-09-2015 | 02:35 PM
tdp1
8th Gear

Originally Posted by pavster
Hm yeah I would hate to be greeted with 'do a search' on one of my first forum posts...

@tdp - I can relate what I think are the two most important changes in the 997.2:

1. Direct Injection motor - which means fuel goes directly into the cylinders. This is a bit more complex than port injection used in 997.1 - requires a high pressure fuel pump, which is a well known failure point - though seems to be reliable in 911's. Other brands have terrible issues of carbon build-up - where partially burned fuel exits the cylinder into the intake and cakes there restricting the flow. I haven't heard Porsche having this issue, so maybe they avoided it somehow.

2. No more Intermediate Shaft (IMS) bearing, which means no more blown engines due to its failure. Do your research on this one, but it seems this was a very common issue on cars up to 2005, less common after that, and 2009+ simply don't have the failure-prone part. IMS breakdown isn't the only failure mode of this engine - so don't think that just because you don't have one, you're safe. Later year 997.1's seem to have mostly resolved the IMS issue, as at least anecdotally there haven't been as many (or any?) reports of their failures.

Honestly to me all the other changes are subjective. My 997.1 is all the 911 I could ever want, but to some people the 997.2 suspension, exterior, and interior changes are important. I can definitely say my 2008 C2 has been the best car I've ever owned in the 6.5 years of its life so far. My biggest gripe is that I have struggled to find anything to modify when I get the urge - it all just works so well in stock form - on the less than perfects streets where I live.
Thanks for you kind insight. As you can see I made my choice by getting the latest model I could afford.
Old 06-09-2015 | 02:40 PM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Great looking car, classic combo. Welcome to the forum. You bought the last of the series, it will run for a long time if you do maintenance regularly (this will now devolve into what is the right maintenance schedule for your particular driving habits). Lots of easy DIY stuff to do and you can find those on a sticky thread at the top of the 997 forum. There are lots of links to lots of great threads on there.
Old 06-09-2015 | 02:41 PM
tdp1
8th Gear

Originally Posted by StormRune
The only major direct mention missing that see is the arrival of the PDK dual-clutch transmission as a replacement to Tiptronic. Outside of the purist argument of a manual stick vs PDK, the most tangible thing the PDK brings is a much faster shift time than is humanly possible, dropping 0-60 times by more than two-tenths of a second... if that is an important thing to you.

The electronics were mentioned and I have to agree that the 997.2 electronic upgrades are quite worthwhile as well, although it's still not as up-to-date as many other cars. Most 997.2s will include Bluetooth (for voice but not for audio streaming) and an external plug-in interface for iPods and such. The materials used on the face and buttons are much better too.

I think all of the other significant improvements are already covered. A dealer will be very glad to let you test drive both. Be sure to try a PDK too unless you must have a manual.
Thanks, I can understand why some prefer PDK. Great system for what it is. I prefer manual shift in a sports car but that's just my opinion. I enjoy the driving experience more that faster 0-60 times. I have to say the driving experience so far is so much fun. I come from a long line of Corvettes that most of the time sat covered in my garage. So far, I can't stop thinking about driving this one again.
Old 06-09-2015 | 02:49 PM
tdp1
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Little Green
Great looking car, classic combo. Welcome to the forum. You bought the last of the series, it will run for a long time if you do maintenance regularly (this will now devolve into what is the right maintenance schedule for your particular driving habits). Lots of easy DIY stuff to do and you can find those on a sticky thread at the top of the 997 forum. There are lots of links to lots of great threads on there.
Thank you, I can't wait!
Old 06-09-2015 | 04:30 PM
pavster
Instructor

Originally Posted by tdp1
Thanks for you kind insight. As you can see I made my choice by getting the latest model I could afford.
Very cool - congrats! Awesome looking car.
Old 06-09-2015 | 04:44 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Thanks, I can understand why some prefer PDK. Great system for what it is. I prefer manual shift in a sports car but that's just my opinion. I enjoy the driving experience more that faster 0-60 times. I have to say the driving experience so far is so much fun. I come from a long line of Corvettes that most of the time sat covered in my garage. So far, I can't stop thinking about driving this one again.
Wonderful choice of a beautiful car! I also had a line of five Corvettes ranging from an 1985 C4 to a 2007 C6; lots of bang for the buck. My wife suggested the option of buying a new Stingray when they were coming out. We went and fully checked them out. A nice car in its own way, but there just is no substitute for a Porsche! The decision was easy.
Old 06-09-2015 | 07:53 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

No problem, I did buy a 2012 Carrera S. I do have lots of questions since I've never owned one before. I have had many Corvettes over the years but have always loved the 911. Here are some pics.
Our DIY tech articles have lots of content that may be useful to you. Should help you learn a bit more about your Carrera. It's a good looking car. Congrats!

-Luccia
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 06-09-2015 | 09:43 PM
19VFB19
Rennlist Member

Congrats. Looks very nice.
Nice interior.
Enjoy
Old 06-09-2015 | 09:48 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Very nice. Love the painted console.
Old 06-09-2015 | 10:52 PM
DGrayling
Instructor

Very nice car! Your wheels are forged Turbo II wheels ... most of us only have cast wheels. Please let us know how you like this car in comparison to your Corvettes.

Rich
2009 C2S
Old 06-10-2015 | 01:39 AM
barbancourt
Burning Brakes

Great looking pick up!

Quick Reply: noobie here