Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Advice on whether to diy steering wheel swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2015 | 06:12 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 3Series
Does having to push waht seems to me really hard to activate the horn mean by wiring is not properly seated/looped correctly?

I swapped to flappy paddles a couple months ago, did it at night in a dark garage in a rather hastily manner. I was careful to line up the wheel and all etc...

I don't mind re-doing it, as it is simple, but knowing that I'll put a new hole on the bottom of the steering wheel where no one will ever notice kind of bothers me....lol...**** retentive. I just don't use the horn enough for it to bother me. The horn works, it just seems like it need extra pressure.
If you have a round airbag, then it's not seated correctly, and odds are it has to do with the position of the retainer spring wire in the wheel hub. PM me if you want, and I will talk you through my experience.
Old 05-29-2015 | 10:45 PM
EMC2
Burning Brakes

Just want to add that I fully agree with previous posts. 20 mins max and an extremely simple DIY.
If you look at the mechanism in your new wheel before installing, you can quickly see how the release mechanism works and determine the correct level of force needed.
Old 05-30-2015 | 12:16 PM
secondshot
Racer

I am in... now just "patiently" waiting for wheel to arrive from Germany.
Old 06-03-2015 | 10:01 PM
secondshot
Racer

OK Friends, I am off and running. Ran into one hitch...can't figure out how to release the two airbag connections. See the picture, there is obviously a release, and it might be as easy as prying up. Just want confirmation.

Thanks,

Old 06-03-2015 | 11:03 PM
secondshot
Racer

Got it... just gently pried it up with a edge of the screwdriver. I recorded ... we will see how the video turned out over the weekend. Here is the after pic.

Last edited by secondshot; 06-07-2015 at 04:29 PM.
Old 06-03-2015 | 11:05 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by secondshot
OK Friends, I am off and running. Ran into one hitch...can't figure out how to release the two airbag connections. See the picture, there is obviously a release, and it might be as easy as prying up. Just want confirmation.

Thanks,
I remember running into the same issue. Best I can recall I used a small screwdriver to pry the orange clip up and out of the yellow housing.
Old 06-04-2015 | 12:14 AM
secondshot
Racer

Sandwedge, that was it. Thanks for the response.
Old 06-04-2015 | 01:00 AM
Sooner
Rennlist Member

Congrats. Looks great, and you'll love using the paddles instead of the buttons.
Old 06-04-2015 | 02:45 AM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Got it... just gently pried it up with a edge of the screwdriver. I recorded ... we will see how the video turned out over the weekend. Here is the after pic.

Looks great! I did my own steering wheel swap as well.

What color is your wheel? It's probably just the lighting or the flash, but to my eyes it has light purple-ish hue to it.
Old 06-04-2015 | 08:35 AM
secondshot
Racer

It's sea blue-same as the car. It is how my flash caught the light. It's a perfect color match and as others have said is slightly smaller than what I took off. Also has a slighty grippier feel.
Old 06-04-2015 | 11:43 AM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Wow, that must have cost a pretty penny.

I'd like to swap into the updated 997.2 wheel myself, but it's hard to find a non-PDK wheel. Used market is flooded with PDK wheels since so many people swap to the paddleshifted Sport Design wheel.

Swapping the spokes out to a non-PDK wheel would make sense, since the shift buttons aren't needed, but this is Porsche - the non-PDK spokes cost like $600 or so, if memory serves. For a plastic panel?

Then there's the cost of an airbag ...
Old 06-04-2015 | 12:33 PM
EMC2
Burning Brakes

Looks great. Definitely a worthwhile update.
Old 06-04-2015 | 06:02 PM
secondshot
Racer

Ok I have put together a very poor DIY video on my experience. It is because of suggestions by Sandwedge, Sooner, Pavster, workhurts and Domer911 that I went for it. Their guidance made this a pretty easy project. I will create a separate DIY thread with the video in case some else is interested. Link to video.

Last edited by secondshot; 06-07-2015 at 05:02 PM.
Old 06-04-2015 | 06:20 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Carmichael
Wow, that must have cost a pretty penny.

I'd like to swap into the updated 997.2 wheel myself, but it's hard to find a non-PDK wheel. Used market is flooded with PDK wheels since so many people swap to the paddleshifted Sport Design wheel.

Swapping the spokes out to a non-PDK wheel would make sense, since the shift buttons aren't needed, but this is Porsche - the non-PDK spokes cost like $600 or so, if memory serves. For a plastic panel?

Then there's the cost of an airbag ...
You've got to pay to play! That's Porsche for ya.

I paid like $1k for my 997.2 flappy paddle wheel. I paid $399 installed for my wife's steering wheel swap on her MDX for the heated version when it was brand new, dealer only option. I thought it was steal.... Porsche prices warp your thinking.
Old 06-05-2015 | 03:17 PM
pavster
Instructor

Ok I have put together a very poor DIY video on my experience. It is because of suggestions by Sandwedge, Sooner, Pavster, workhurts and Domer911 that I went for it. Their guidance made this a pretty easy project. I will create a separate DIY thread with the video in case some else is interested.
Very cool - YouTube has become an indispensable resource for me for any kind of projects; thanks for contributing!!

Quick Reply: Need Advice on whether to diy steering wheel swap