Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My poor car

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2015 | 09:59 AM
upier
Racer

Originally Posted by DC911S
So if the woman that hit him has a GOP voter registration card with her it would be OK then? Get over the Obama hate already...Hit and runs don't happen in Red States? Perhaps you can tie this to Benghazi? Or Jade Helm? BTW I'm Independent.
WTFO? I don't think that this comment was an attack on Obama. Just pointing out that she committed a felony and should pay the price, liberal or conservative.
Old 05-28-2015 | 10:39 AM
ru'
Instructor

Glad you're okay, sorry about the car

A reminder that anything can happen; stay safe everyone, and keep your seatbelts tight!
Old 05-28-2015 | 11:58 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Note to all. Check the value of your car on your policy.
My policy has an agreed upon value. I know what it is and think its fair.
O/P get your file in order. If they are going to write off your car, you best be prepared.
Old 05-28-2015 | 01:39 PM
BrakingBad
Drifting

Originally Posted by DC911S
So if the woman that hit him has a GOP voter registration card with her it would be OK then? Get over the Obama hate already...Hit and runs don't happen in Red States? Perhaps you can tie this to Benghazi? Or Jade Helm? BTW I'm Independent.
When someone points out that excusing personal and financial responsibility causing another to suffer physical and monetary penalty is ridiculous liberal nonsense, your first thought is Obama. I like the way you think.
Old 05-28-2015 | 02:29 PM
Para82
Race Car

There's been a lot of wrecks lately in the Porsche world, 991 forum has 2 this month. Let's all be extra vigilant, just assume everyone is blindfolded and you will be better off.
Old 05-28-2015 | 02:49 PM
upier
Racer

Originally Posted by Para82
There's been a lot of wrecks lately in the Porsche world, 991 forum has 2 this month. Let's all be extra vigilant, just assume everyone is blindfolded and you will be better off.
I still remember the day I got my icense my dad told me that he wasn't worried about me but that I needed to "have eyes up my a $$ so that I could watch out for all the idiots on the road" physically impossible but it stuck with me and has served me well.
Old 05-28-2015 | 05:16 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BrakingBad
When someone points out that excusing personal and financial responsibility causing another to suffer physical and monetary penalty is ridiculous liberal nonsense, your first thought is Obama. I like the way you think.
I think his point is "liberal" has nothing to do with anything. It's just a word that has become a political lightning rod that some people use to vent their frustrations and ignorance. It sure has nothing to do with anything here, as not only do we not know her political affiliation, but that would have no relevance to the accident she caused. It would be akin to saying everyone in NC is a redneck with the Ku Klux Klan.

Hope the OP is OK
Old 05-28-2015 | 05:17 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
because she has no insurance, she probably has no assets and therefore you insurance company will have no way to recoup on damages. They'll write it off as a loss. This means they will be more inclined to give you the shaft because it's their dime.
Just sayin' (typing), as politely as possible, that it doesn't really follow that having no insurance is indicative of having no assets (this would be the definition of a non-sequiter).

On the topic of Hit & Run , it is a statutory offense and whether or not it is a Felony varies by the jurisdiction and the circumstances, the most common of which is whether or not bodily injury occurred. In general terms (as statutes are not uniform), as a Felony you can be sentenced to up to 15 years in prison and fined up to $20K; a misdemeanor could find you in jail for up to a year and a $5K fine. You can also lose your license for up to three years and be sued in Civil Court for compensatory damages. I am not sure if Hit & Run qualifies for punitive damages but there is a punitive component - that is, a judge can and will treble the amount of the award as an added punishment to the responsible party.

I don't think it is a liberal failing to consider the situation of the offending party. They are going to jail, being fined and will probably lose their license. As aggrieved as the damaged person may feel, and while wholly their right, piling it on by suing and perhaps being awarded a judgement with little hope of collection may appear vindictive. The worst spin would be "Rich Porsche owner who got a new car from their insurer after a Hit and Run sues working poor mother of three who lost her kids while incarcerated and is working two jobs to pay the court costs and fine related to a Hit and Run accident she caused". What would be liberal would be to forgive, learn about the offenders situation and somehow try, directly or indirectly, to better their life. Having said that, I don't think that I would be able to act so selflessly (although I wish I could be that kind of person).
Old 05-28-2015 | 05:46 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

excellent post.

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
Just sayin' (typing), as politely as possible, that it doesn't really follow that having no insurance is indicative of having no assets (this would be the definition of a non-sequiter).

On the topic of Hit & Run , it is a statutory offense and whether or not it is a Felony varies by the jurisdiction and the circumstances, the most common of which is whether or not bodily injury occurred. In general terms (as statutes are not uniform), as a Felony you can be sentenced to up to 15 years in prison and fined up to $20K; a misdemeanor could find you in jail for up to a year and a $5K fine. You can also lose your license for up to three years and be sued in Civil Court for compensatory damages. I am not sure if Hit & Run qualifies for punitive damages but there is a punitive component - that is, a judge can and will treble the amount of the award as an added punishment to the responsible party.

I don't think it is a liberal failing to consider the situation of the offending party. They are going to jail, being fined and will probably lose their license. As aggrieved as the damaged person may feel, and while wholly their right, piling it on by suing and perhaps being awarded a judgement with little hope of collection may appear vindictive. The worst spin would be "Rich Porsche owner who got a new car from their insurer after a Hit and Run sues working poor mother of three who lost her kids while incarcerated and is working two jobs to pay the court costs and fine related to a Hit and Run accident she caused". What would be liberal would be to forgive, learn about the offenders situation and somehow try, directly or indirectly, to better their life. Having said that, I don't think that I would be able to act so selflessly (although I wish I could be that kind of person).
Old 05-28-2015 | 06:18 PM
BrakingBad
Drifting

For a bunch of well to do people, this forum has some of the lowest reading comprehension members I've come across online. I did not say liberalism had anything to do with the accident or the woman's state of insurance nor her decision to run. I did say the suggestion to let her slide because she might have been in a rough patch in her life is liberal idealism.
Old 05-28-2015 | 06:39 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by malexgcab
She might be down on her luck. We all have personal problems but it is nice to give someone the benefit of doubt.
No matter how personally destitute I was I would never run from an accident.

I had a minor hit and run encounter many years ago. Before I could reach into my glove box for a pen and paper to write down a plate number they had taken off. It pisses me off that we have to carry uninsured motorist insurance at all.
Old 05-28-2015 | 07:14 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

The last time my fiancee's car was rear-ended, in the rain, in Baltimore, I played it cool at first. She was driving her old Dodge Neon at the time. The offenders were in a 2nd generation Eclipse GS-X Spyder, complete with bodykit, gaudy wheels, and cheap tires.

I opened the passenger front door and approached their car to ask the offenders if they were okay. They responded by mashing the throttle to get around her car, nearly hitting me in the process. I was, at this time, burning their license plate number into my memory.

My better half decided to throw caution to the wind, and pursued them for about a mile. Once the offenders knew they couldn't get away, they attempted to cut across an abandoned parking lot with a huge puddle of water in the middle. It was probably more of a small pond, really.

They plunged into the drink and stalled halfway into it!!! The water must have come up just past the wheel hubs. Bad news if you have a cold air intake feeding the turbo air from the fender well. It was hilarious to watch the offenders open up their doors to allow stagnant water to pour into the interior of their car. They then stood in the puddle and hurled epithets at me. Just desserts.

Police were summoned, and the driver was arrested for fleeing the scene of an accident. A couple concerned eyewitnesses even stopped at the scene to give testimony to the police. The offenders' insurance lapsed the day before, but luckily, my fiancee had a good uninsured motorist policy. The damage wasn't that bad, either. Just the bumper cover needed to be replaced.

What made it better was when the offending driver's wife showed up to the scene to berate him (in spanish) in front of the police, who had to pull her away from the squad car window. What a day that was.
Old 05-28-2015 | 08:01 PM
malexgcab
Rennlist Member

Flame suit on

Originally Posted by KNS
No matter how personally destitute I was I would never run from an accident.
Rightfully so.

I have not been following the thread so I might have missed something but the OP did not disclose the age of the other driver. She could be a new (teenage) driver who has no clue of insurance coverage. These are all scenarios since we don't have all the information.

Just like I said previously, if she has a previous record of misdemeanor/offenses (not a first offense) then she should be prosecuted to the fullest extent.

Old 05-28-2015 | 08:12 PM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Suburban smacked the 911 and ran away. She deserves having her *** kicked. Just my opinion.
Old 05-28-2015 | 08:33 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BrakingBad
For a bunch of well to do people, this forum has some of the lowest reading comprehension members I've come across online. I did not say liberalism had anything to do with the accident or the woman's state of insurance nor her decision to run. I did say the suggestion to let her slide because she might have been in a rough patch in her life is liberal idealism.

Precisely.

And best of wishes to the OP for no nagging injuries and speedy recovery.

Quick Reply: My poor car