997.2 - new gear box

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 11:00 AM
raviis
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 997.2 - new gear box

Hi -
My 2010 C4S MT is getting a new transmission through CPO.

I have a couple of questions....

Do I need a new clutch as well, as I always thought the clutch goes first before a gear box issue?

Are there any additional checks I need to have the dealer perform on the car which has 24.5K miles on it.

Thanks in advance for your responses, really appreciate it!

ps: my other post regarding the issue that I reported resulting in the new transmission.
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...y-not-big.html
Old 05-15-2015, 11:17 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,567 Likes on 941 Posts

Interesting.... this appears to be very rare.

To the historians: This gearbox the same one Porsche has been using for years no?

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 05-15-2015, 11:47 AM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 115 Posts

I would get DME of overrevs in case the issues were somehow caused by prior owner and an inability to actually drive stick.

BTW, totally different car and transmission, but 996 turbos were notorious with manual transmission issues "2nd gear popout". It was a design/mfg flaw. I knew to look out for it due to RL and when I was testing one, at a Porsche dealer, I ran the suggest test during the test drive and ... voila! it happened... and the dealer was "surprised". Ultimately result was they were willing to knock $6k off their asking price but I wanted $10k given my conversations with some NY area mechanics that were familiar with the issue... and the potential total costs.

In your case, your CPO covers whatever they're going to need to do here... so I think you should be good. I PM'd you as well, but after getting work done at your dealer, no harm getting another dealer to do a quick run through of the car as well... even if it costs a couple hundred out of pocket.
Old 05-15-2015, 11:55 AM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Whoa, what?

That's kinda hard to believe. Your earlier thread made it seem like a shifter cable issue.

Mine's a little hard to get into first gear once in awhile, but there's a lot of play in my shifter, so it definitely, at the very least, needs to be readjusted. At worst, I'm thinking I'll order the Numeric cables when I get back from a business trip ... Now you got me paranoid!

No CPO for me, so Murphy's Law dictates that I dust off my transmission jack.
Old 05-15-2015, 12:00 PM
DGrayling
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Bruce, the 997 uses an Aisin (Japan) transmission/transaxle. The 996 transaxle was manufactured by Getrag. I believe Porsche went with Aisin do to the higher output of the 997 engine.
Old 05-15-2015, 12:13 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by raviis
Hi -
My 2010 C4S MT is getting a new transmission through CPO.

I have a couple of questions....

Do I need a new clutch as well, as I always thought the clutch goes first before a gear box issue?

Are there any additional checks I need to have the dealer perform on the car which has 24.5K miles on it.

Thanks in advance for your responses, really appreciate it!

ps: my other post regarding the issue that I reported resulting in the new transmission.
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...y-not-big.html
My 2003 996 Turbo received a new gearbox -- 6-speed -- under CPO warranty at I can't recall now the miles but say around 30K miles.

I had the car in for an early tranny/diff(s) fluid change and the tech spotted a leak from a selector shaft seal. The techs told me they could repair this but the factory decided to replace the tranny so a new one from Germany was supplied.

The clutch was fine so it was reused, along with all the other hardware, except in the case of the needle bearings that support the clutch control shaft.

The tech told me that whenever the transmission is removed these should be replaced along with their dust caps.

Now these bearings may not exist in the 997.2 transmission and it could be that all the clutch hardware can be reused. The techs should be able to advise you.

As for what else? Well, of course the techs will check the RMS. The one in my 2003 Turbo was fine, but at 120K miles developed a leak.

I'm not usually a fan of fixing something if it is not broke, but I would advise you to seriously consider having the RMS replaced as a precautionary measure. Talk this over with the techs though to get their input. They may advise you to leave it alone.

The engine and running gear should be inspected and if a water pump is leaking, or a CV boot is bad, or if the plugs are due (if not on miles on time), then of course these should be taken care of then and there.

Oh, I notice you have a 4S. You might consider having the front diff fluid changed. This then gets both diffs on the same service interval, so to speak. The new tranny/diff will come with fresh fluid.

Quick Reply: 997.2 - new gear box