Sponsored by:

First issue with my new car - hopefully not big

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2015 | 10:58 AM
raviis
Advanced

Default First issue with my new car - hopefully not big

Hello-
I have been having issues with shifting into first at full clutch (intermittently), when moving from a stop sign or traffic light. Also had issues when trying to shift to second. Other 4 gears (3,4,5,6) plus reverse is all fine shifting into and out of.

I took the car to Ray Catena in Edison, NJ and the technician took a ride with me on Tuesday and experienced not the first issue but the second issue with going into second gear. They have had the car for 2 days and will most likely be looking at it today (Thursday).

Hopefully nothing big and is covered by the CPO.

Since I picked up the car, a 2010 C4S less than a month from another dealer in NY, do I have any claim if the issue is big. I have notified the dealer I purchased from already.

Thoughts are welcome.

Thanks

Ravi

Old 04-30-2015 | 11:37 AM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by raviis

Hello-
I have been having issues with shifting into first at full clutch (intermittently), when moving from a stop sign or traffic light. Also had issues when trying to shift to second. Other 4 gears (3,4,5,6) plus reverse is all fine shifting into and out of.

I took the car to Ray Catena in Edison, NJ and the technician took a ride with me on Tuesday and experienced not the first issue but the second issue with going into second gear. They have had the car for 2 days and will most likely be looking at it today (Thursday).

Hopefully nothing big and is covered by the CPO.

Since I picked up the car, a 2010 C4S less than a month from another dealer in NY, do I have any claim if the issue is big. I have notified the dealer I purchased from already.

Thoughts are welcome.

Thanks

Ravi

If there proves to be a problem the odds are very good it will be taken care of under the CPO warranty, unless it is something you have inflicted on the car, or transmission, but I do not believe that is the case.

My CPO 2003 Turbo (bought used in 2009 with just 10K miles) developed a transmission selector shaft leak at around 30K miles and the 6-speed was removed and replaced with a new factory sourced transmission under the CPO warranty.

So, let the techs at the car. The techs will take care of this.

It may not be the transmission: One thing I have encountered with my Boxster is a shifting problem getting the transmission into 1st gear and even shifting between other gears. Also, taking off from a stop wasn't as smooth as I had been used to.

Try as I might I was not able to improve this behavior.

But after a brake and clutch fluid flush/bleed the clutch action when taking off from a stop was much improved and all the shifting problems went away. I had let the brake/clutch fluid go just 2.5 years between fluid services. While the brake action was unaffected by the old fluid and not improved by the fresh fluid, the clutch action and shifting which was compromised by the clutch, was markedly improved by the fresh fluid.

That 2 year recommendation to flush/bleed the brake (and if a manual the clutch) fluid is not to be ignored.
Old 04-30-2015 | 11:48 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Sounds like your shifter cables need to be adjusted... Should fix the problem
Old 04-30-2015 | 12:41 PM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

I have read that this is quite a common issue. Mine is also slightly harder to get into first gear but only when cold.

I read in a thread about people who changed to the speed shifter got rid of this problem.

I don't think it's a critical issue but please update the post with how it's solved. I still have full coverage on my car and maybe I can fix it before that expires?
Old 04-30-2015 | 12:52 PM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

I would try the adjustment first.
Old 04-30-2015 | 05:38 PM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Sounds Like needs new clutch plate or first second gear syncros.
Old 05-01-2015 | 09:08 AM
raviis
Advanced

The dealer who has the car called me on Thursday to let me know that they have been busy and haven't started on my car.

The service adviser thinks the gear box needs to come out and will be a while.

Old 05-01-2015 | 01:22 PM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Not sure if that is accurate (but I'm not a mechanic either) but other suggestions for simple shifter cable adjustment has fixed this issue on my cars. Mine is very notchy in first & second when cold and waiting to get my short shifter before I adjust the cables.

The dealer who has the car called me on Thursday to let me know that they have been busy and haven't started on my car.

The service adviser thinks the gear box needs to come out and will be a while.

Old 05-01-2015 | 02:37 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Most likely it is a shift cable issue. Less likely, but possible, a dragging clutch from a worn out release bearing. If the synchros were worn out you would hear grinding.

The usual problem of being difficult to get into first is generally a cold transmission combined with a normally balky er, balk-type sychronizer.

Further, I believe both 1st and 2nd gears have steel synchros in these cars.
Old 05-14-2015 | 11:29 AM
raviis
Advanced

Default Update

Got a call from the dealer who has my car.

Needs a new gearbox and they are checking with the CPO department to get approval.
Old 05-14-2015 | 01:46 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

If it is not covered, seek a second opinion. With that information you can be informed on what to do.
Old 05-14-2015 | 01:56 PM
mototrmpt
Track Day

I've had similar issues with my transmission, but so far the porsche dealer hasn't been able to recreate the issues. I'm waiting to get closer to the end of my CPO and have them check it one last time.
Old 05-15-2015 | 06:22 AM
raviis
Advanced

Default Update

I am getting a new transmission and CPO is covering it.

I wonder if the clutch is usually toast before it gets to the gearbox damage and also please let me know if I need to ask the Pdealer shop to specifically check other related areas for problems at the same time while they are at it?

I have driven the car for less than 300 miles (bought on Apr 6th), so wonder what else the car went through with the previous owner(s).

Thanks for all your help.
Old 05-15-2015 | 02:42 PM
malexgcab
Rennlist Member

I am getting a new transmission and CPO is covering it.

I wonder if the clutch is usually toast before it gets to the gearbox damage and also please let me know if I need to ask the Pdealer shop to specifically check other related areas for problems at the same time while they are at it?

I have driven the car for less than 300 miles (bought on Apr 6th), so wonder what else the car went through with the previous owner(s).

Thanks for all your help.
OUCh, at least its covered by CPO.

I'm not a grease monkey so this comment might sound dumb...Can you ask the dealer to replace the clutch since they're replacing the tranny? Just pay for parts.
Old 05-15-2015 | 11:43 PM
motopix
Pro

Don't be surprised if you have the same issue with the new tranny. Without having driven your car, nobody can tell you how bad yours was shifting but you'll find many threads about these exact symptoms.

And don't sweat what else might be wrong. You're covered by CPO. It's almost inevitable you're going to spend time and/or money on a used car in the first 6 months to get it just right. Or at least plan on it.

I would talk to the dealer about inspecting the clutch and replacing it and seals at your cost for parts (push for a discount of course) if needed while the tranny is out. Even if there's life left in the clutch, you have to weigh out the time left on it vs. the cost of doing it later: parts and labor, which will be on your dime.

Quick Reply: First issue with my new car - hopefully not big