Value of repainted car..

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 06:21 PM
Michael15
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nwGTS
This may help.
I recently had my entire car's paint corrected by my detailer. He showed me the paint meter readings that indicated Porsche from the factory is VERY stingy on the amount of paint used and that correction can only be done once to the car. He recommended that if ever again after this correction there were ever any scuffing, marring, oxidation or other paint damage that required compounding that I get the panel resprayed because there will not be enough paint to simply buff out the scratch.

Not 36 hours after the correction was complete some dingleberry in a Home Depot parking lot banged my rear bumper with a cart (no note or anything). So, I had to have the entire rear bumper cover resprayed before my detailer could go at it. My car is L041 black which is easy to match though.

Point being, if this car is over a few years old, it may have been so damaged (Porsche has one of the softest paints in the industry I'm told) that a respray was the only way to get it back to showroom condition or even passable condition.

If the PPI came back with no new panels, welding, filler etc. I imagine that was the reason.
Thanks for all the replies. The agreed upon price was $70k pending PPI. I initially felt a 10% reduction would be fair but now my gut is telling me walk away and wait for something else. I do think the owner is honorable but one never knows for sure. The car was priced at the low end of any like car in the market. It does suck but this is why I invested in a very extensive PPI.
Old 05-14-2015, 06:27 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 349 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrono
Preposterous.
Not trying to be combative, but do you not believe me or are you saying it's preposterous that Porsche's paint is so thin. I could ask for the paint meter photos again if you'd like. I was there when he did it. All measurements were around 4 mils and this car is CPO.
Old 05-14-2015, 06:58 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

It depends on how agressive the "so called paint correction" Which means sand and buff. By a who knows how knowlegable of a car waxer.
When you do this, you are sanding the orange peel texture off of the clear coat. Theres not a whole lot of margin for error. Especially on corners. Could be this was a reason the first guy had to have the car repainted. Who knows. Once the orange peel texture is removed and the surface is flat, theres no reason to do this again, from that point its polishing and waxing. Which shouldnt ever go thru the clear coat unless its excessive on those thin areas like corners.
Old 05-14-2015, 07:41 PM
rickdogg82
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 05-14-2015, 07:41 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

I would walk unless a very significant discount was given making it a steal. What is the year/make and model of car you are looking for?
Old 05-14-2015, 08:25 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 172 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael15
Thanks for all the replies. The agreed upon price was $70k pending PPI. I initially felt a 10% reduction would be fair but now my gut is telling me walk away and wait for something else. I do think the owner is honorable but one never knows for sure. The car was priced at the low end of any like car in the market. It does suck but this is why I invested in a very extensive PPI.
To me the warning sign (as is often the case) is that it was priced at low end of the market... it indicates the hope for a fast sale (my opinion). When I was in the market for my car, tons of the low end cars, upon some digging and diligence, showed issues.

Good luck!
Old 05-14-2015, 08:52 PM
Michael15
Instructor

Upon further investigation by the owner he discovered that the car had hail damage and needed repairs/paint
Old 05-14-2015, 09:02 PM
ElectricChair
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 95 Posts

You did your homework. Skip this one.
Old 05-14-2015, 09:09 PM
Chrono
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by nwGTS
Not trying to be combative, but do you not believe me or are you saying it's preposterous that Porsche's paint is so thin. I could ask for the paint meter photos again if you'd like. I was there when he did it. All measurements were around 4 mils and this car is CPO.
I'm definitely not doubting you in the least. Your detailer, however, has made a blanket statement that is misleading.

4 to 7 mils is normal around the car. Actually, getting those numbers is good news in the sense that it is highly doubtful the car has been resprayed or had body work.

The term "correction" can mean fixing deep scratches caused by salt, sand, and bad washing and especially drying technique, as well as tunnel car washes. "Correction" can also mean correcting light marring, towel marks, clay marring, and general "love marks" caused by us using rinseless and waterless wash. Those later types of defects can be corrected, dare I say, dozens of times, with the proper tools, polish, and technique.

Now, as for a major correction, using compound, correcting random deep isolated scratches and severe swirling, can also be done multiple times before a respray is required. Not all compounds, tools, and techniques are created equal.

Given the benefit of the doubt, let's say your car IS especially thin on clearcoat. If it gets all jacked up (because you're using bad techniques washing and drying), still, why NOT go at it with compound BEFORE resorting to re-paint. If you (or your detailer) burns through the clearcoat in the process, then you'll need to respray. At worst, you'll have to do what you've been told. At best, you get another major correction (or two or seven).

I'm not discounting the importance of paint thickness measurements, and heeding their warnings. But to say "this is 4 mils thick, you can't correct it ever again" is bunk.

On a different tangent, our goal should be careful with the paint and not NEED to compound.
Old 05-14-2015, 10:35 PM
dalancroft
Racer

Key question is, are you planning to keep the car for a lengthy period a la 7-8-10 years? At that point, to paraphrase Hillary Rodham Clinton, what does it matter? If you plan to churn it in 2-3-4 years, the repainting might come back to bite you.

Last edited by dalancroft; 05-14-2015 at 10:51 PM.
Old 05-16-2015, 08:33 AM
Thedips
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea exactly if it's the perfect combo and you plan on keeping and not affecting the drive why worry ? However if you plan on sale and not committed then pass
Old 05-16-2015, 11:49 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can't believe this thread goes on and on and I see no mention of what this car is, how old it is, mileage and cost. Just sayin.....?

Btw, love the jumper but have no idea what he is trying to say
Old 05-17-2015, 02:58 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 349 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by gpjli2
I can't believe this thread goes on and on and I see no mention of what this car is, how old it is, mileage and cost. Just sayin.....?

Btw, love the jumper but have no idea what he is trying to say
It's a 997. Any way you look at it a <10 year old car with a respray is questionable in almost the same way whether its a '12 or an '05.
Old 05-17-2015, 08:49 AM
NAM VET
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you are having concerns about this particular car, then surely anyone considering buying the car from you in the future is going to have the same doubts about the paint. There are lots of cars out there to chose from. As for hail damage, one or two small, shallow dents can often be removed by a talented pro, but usually hail is impossible to fix to the point it is not noticeable. I know, I had a hail damaged turbo AWD Eclipse long ago, you can't fix it.

just some of my experience.

All the best....
Old 05-17-2015, 02:35 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael15
The original owner had it painted and the current owner does not know why it was repainted. He was as shocked as anyone to find this out. No dents or hail damage from the looks of the PPI. It is the same color.

Current owner is not disputing that the car has been repainted. It was just news to him also. He has been excellent to work with and I seriously believe he had no idea about the paint.
On general principles I'd give the car a miss.

While the repaint job might be quite good it just brings another unknown to the car. With used car buying there are enough already.

(BTW, a "new" car can be repainted, if say the paint got damaged during shipment or by vandals on the lot, for instance. This repaint might not show up on the CarFax report, either.)

The first rule of used car buying is there is always another car.

No. Wait. This is the first rule: Buyer beware.

The second rule is: There is always another car.

Quick Reply: Value of repainted car..