Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New guy - no Porsche yet, but that's where you come in

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015 | 11:03 AM
midnightdorifto
8th Gear

Originally Posted by mikes70
Not to get to far off of topic, as i am in sales too, i can pull up to a jobsite in my 70 Camaro that i have 62k into and people never bat an eye. You can pull up in a 65K Ford diesel crew cab, no prob. You pull up in a 40k Porsche, and well, you know MOST people's take on it...
If you roll the windows down and just outright blare Toby Keith on approach, *boom* 50% knocked off the market value and folks will make an entirely different and benign set of assumptions. I'm looking to borrow a Phantom to see if the Red Solo Cup Depreciation works on all levels. My method also works as an anti-theft device.
Old 04-24-2015 | 12:19 PM
andy92782
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by midnightdorifto
This is exactly the picture I was looking for. What kind of roof rack do you have? From my research, it looks like Porsche makes a bespoke one, but Pelicanparts seems to also offer one (not sure if its the same as the RTS).
I'm using the Porsche RTS crossbars but the bike tray is a Sportworks I had laying around from before. The price of the Porsche RTS is insane so I'd only get it if I could find it used. I did. Otherwise Yakima makes a set of bars that work with our cars.

Trivia tidbit: The 996 and 997 have the same roof. I bought my RTS off a dude with a 996. No issues.
Old 04-24-2015 | 12:47 PM
rickdogg82
Pro

Originally Posted by midnightdorifto

1. Would you go with a 997 C2S over a 987 (I know I'm asking on a renowned 997 board, but I'm hoping for a pinch of honesty)?
If a 911 is what you want, you will regret buying something else. This could be similar to wanting a Corvette but walking away with a Camaro.

2. Do you daily drive yours - or is it daily driveable, rather?
I don't but it could be depending on your commute. It is probably not the best "hour in traffic" choice. But that could apply to any manual.

3. Does a $37,000 997 scare you to the point that you would recommend to a friend or family member to lock their doors should they see one in the street lest they get struck with an IMS failure when they least expect it? If that's the case, I'll probably end up in something cheap and save up for a well-sorted 993 or anything with a GTS-suffix in a year or two.
I can only speak from experience. I bought an 05 S (larger bearing) for 40k and small change with 37k miles about 6 months ago. Cosmetically the car is flawless and no over-revs in any range on the DME report. So I think a good S for under 40k is totally realistic. However later year, fewer miles, and expensive option will set you back more.

Old 04-25-2015 | 08:16 AM
sy308
Racer

More advice for you or anyone looking for a possible deal, look for cars where they are plentiful. This probably means transportation if you are not a local. I picked up mine out of Naples, FL when the economy was in a downturn. The owner put it on a friend's lot and could not sell it. It sat for months. Too many cars and not enough buyers. I found it on eBay. The seller even contacted a broker who arranged to trailer and transport it to my mechanic's shop. How was that for service? Go South young man, go South.

Quick Reply: New guy - no Porsche yet, but that's where you come in