997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New guy - no Porsche yet, but that's where you come in

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2015 | 08:38 PM
door2416
Instructor

I come from the same background as yourself. I always have had corvettes and have a c6 grand sport and a c4 997. The 997 is my daily driver (winter and summer). If you have not already read up on the IMS issues with the early 997's you might want to. They are both great cars but I have to admit I usually grab for the porsche keys first.
Old 04-22-2015 | 10:08 PM
makoshark72
Racer

I traded my 2012 Grand Sport for my 2006 C2S.....NO REGRETS AT ALL and I drive my Porsche EVERY day. I still have my '72 383 stroker (500hp/500lbft) chrome bumper Vette to play around with!!
Attached Images    

Last edited by makoshark72; 04-23-2015 at 01:02 PM.
Old 04-23-2015 | 07:38 AM
SJP3003
Racer

12 years ago I transitioned from a C5 stroker to a C2 996. Since then 3 P Cars: Boxster S, 997S and now another 997S, and one GM product (Corvette-engined G8 GXP). Even when down on power vs comparably priced vettes, the P cars' driving experience is more engaging, especially in curves.

All of mine have been daily drivers in the US. I don't daily drive the latest one just because rush hour traffic here (Dominican Republic) can be crazy. I totally enjoyed the Bosxter S' handling and found it more practical than I'd anticipated with front and rear storage. But I prefer the more substantial feel of the 911 despite its engine position, plus I actually use the rear seats having a 5 year old.

So yes, daily drive it, and my vote is for 997 over 987.
Old 04-23-2015 | 08:21 AM
wheeler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by midnightdorifto
Shhhh...don't tell anyone until after I buy mine. That and the 550/575 Maranello are on my classified list of way undervalued cars.
Likewise, thinking a manual 430 may be reasonable money play down the road.

The place you rented from, did they rent a manual?? I might need a little more info on this place.
Old 04-23-2015 | 09:26 AM
NAM VET
Pro

All valid points in the replies. I think the best/most reliable experience in your budget would be a late '06 to '08 997. People can talk about the relatively uncommon IMS failure, but my son's 60K 996 had it, and a replacement engine was $25K. The later first gen 997's have a better and much less likely to fail IMS. I would also suggest looking for cars away from the salt zones. I had an '07 S car for three years, bought 12K miles, sold last fall at 35K. Very reliable, great for back roads and long road trips. There are many of them out there. Have fun and enjoy the ride.

All the best...
Old 04-23-2015 | 06:12 PM
gasongasoff
Pro

I took my girlfriend to Napa and as a surprise to me, rather than the Cruze she said she booked, we ended up in a 2007 C2S and I got to tick 911 off my bucket list (RelayRides is great, by the by). Long story short, I fell in love again and I think I'm ready for my first P-car.
Instead of buying a P-car, I'd take that $37k and shop for an engagement ring.

Otherwise, you can't go from a C6 Z06 to a 987 Cayman. The downgrade in hp is substantial.

I have 50k of daily-driven miles in a 997.2. No problem at all. Watch this video:
Old 04-23-2015 | 06:17 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Get a 2009+ (DFI engined) car. 987S or 997. Bulletproof.
Old 04-23-2015 | 07:36 PM
andy92782
Rennlist Member

Funny you say you've got a 1st gen CTS-V... I had one one of those once. It wound up going back to GM under the lemon law

My CTS-V was replaced by an E90 335i. I drove that BMW every day for nearly 8 years prior to my acquisition of a 997.2 late last year. As far as using the 997 every day is concerned, there's really two potential negatives you'll have to deal with (my impressions after 6 months): compared to your CTS-V, it's gonna ride kinda rough and it's loud on the inside, especially at highway speed. Bluetooth conversations may be strained. The second thing is that the car is a bit on the flashy side. People are gonna form opinions of you, for better or worse. You should see the looks on their faces when I roll up in my 997 with a bike rack on the roof. They'll always think the car costs $100K even though we all know you'll probably pay less than what GM charges you for a Chevy Tahoe these days. Oh, maybe a third thing: it's really easy to scrape the nose on driveways.

Bottom line... YOLO.
Old 04-23-2015 | 08:10 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

With that limited budget you will wind up getting a 997.1 car that may have issues. As most of these cars were originally $100,000 plus automobiles, be prepared for something expensive to break.

Although the 997 is a terrific car, and certainly the most car for the money, it will be a source of expenses that may shock someone who hasn't been around them much before. You can't expect them to perform like they did new when a previous owner put crappy tires on it, or under maintained it. Unfortunately, you will bare that full burden. When it breaks, you will recall that it was a $100,000 automobile. Fortunately, not many things break on these things--knock on ceramics!

Just recall that you won't get the real performance potential of these cars if you wind up going cheap--and putting Korean tires on it, or putting after market parts on it to save money.
Old 04-23-2015 | 11:29 PM
midnightdorifto
8th Gear

Originally Posted by wheeler
Likewise, thinking a manual 430 may be reasonable money play down the road.

The place you rented from, did they rent a manual?? I might need a little more info on this place.
So the place she got the car was this new thing (I'd never heard of it) called RelayRides. It's essentially an AirBnB or Homeaway for cars. Folks put up what they've got for a generally reasonable rate and you can pick from some fun stuff. Oh, and here it is - easier to find than I thought, $189/day, 997 C2S manual in Napa Valley:

https://relayrides.com/car-rental/hi...orsche-911/279

It was a...pretty good weekend.

Originally Posted by gasongasoff
Instead of buying a P-car, I'd take that $37k and shop for an engagement ring.
Good video. And that is in the works - for sure. She's a keeper.

Originally Posted by andy92782
Funny you say you've got a 1st gen CTS-V... I had one one of those once. It wound up going back to GM under the lemon law

My CTS-V was replaced by an E90 335i. I drove that BMW every day for nearly 8 years prior to my acquisition of a 997.2 late last year. As far as using the 997 every day is concerned, there's really two potential negatives you'll have to deal with (my impressions after 6 months): compared to your CTS-V, it's gonna ride kinda rough and it's loud on the inside, especially at highway speed. Bluetooth conversations may be strained. The second thing is that the car is a bit on the flashy side. People are gonna form opinions of you, for better or worse. You should see the looks on their faces when I roll up in my 997 with a bike rack on the roof. They'll always think the car costs $100K even though we all know you'll probably pay less than what GM charges you for a Chevy Tahoe these days. Oh, maybe a third thing: it's really easy to scrape the nose on driveways.

Bottom line... YOLO.
Honestly - the bike rack availability was make or break for a 997/987. Here's my current setup when the CTS-V is on the fritz:

Fortunately, the harness bar kinda keeps everything in place - 29er large frame full squish and gear. It's pretty much an El Camino with a greenhouse anyway.

I daily'd my C6 for a few years before I bought my Cadillac with the most Kid Rock, Rednecks with Paychecks exhaust you can imagine, but I know the 911 brings a different stigma. Good to know it's something that you can get used to. I work in finance so most folks think I'm a dick anyways. Can't really argue, I suppose.

Originally Posted by Edgy01
With that limited budget you will wind up getting a 997.1 car that may have issues. As most of these cars were originally $100,000 plus automobiles, be prepared for something expensive to break.

Although the 997 is a terrific car, and certainly the most car for the money, it will be a source of expenses that may shock someone who hasn't been around them much before. You can't expect them to perform like they did new when a previous owner put crappy tires on it, or under maintained it. Unfortunately, you will bare that full burden. When it breaks, you will recall that it was a $100,000 automobile. Fortunately, not many things break on these things--knock on ceramics!

Just recall that you won't get the real performance potential of these cars if you wind up going cheap--and putting Korean tires on it, or putting after market parts on it to save money.
Heh, I've been buying Pilot Sports for my Cadillac and my C6 is looking to make an upgrade from RE-11s soon, so if there's a group buy on 285/35-R19 R888s that's going down, please let me know. Just gotta upgrade the hubs first to handle the G-loads since these Fisher Price Kozy Coupes apparently have a weak joint after hard track use. Thanks, GM.

I appreciate the warning, though. Porsche has a pretty stellar reputation for reliability - at least among the older stuff. I know the IMS/RMS has been an issue, but is there anything else to look out for as I'm browsing? I know there are a wonderful contingent of owners out there who have maintained these things meticulously, but I know there are some out there that have been run hard and put away wet. What else goes and what should I look for? Or rather - for those of you who bought used - what do you wish someone warned you about?
Old 04-23-2015 | 11:56 PM
hockenheimr
Burning Brakes

I was that kid as well! If you've always wanted a 911 then don't settle for anything less then a 911 - like someone said 'or it will just be temporary car'. A 997 C2S is potentially the last car you ever need to purchase....and a Jeep Wrangler You will need to maintain it, love it, and eventually do major maintenance but it will still be way cheaper then buying a disposable car every other year.

I wasn't going to daily drive my 911, but funny thing is these cars are addictive. I got mine with 12,000 miles on it, and within a few months it had over 20,000 miles )))) no regrets all smiles!

If you want a good deal, then keep looking and get your cash ready towards the end of winter but before bankers get their bonuses. Don't jump on someones beat up car for a great price, be weary of non-original rims and bumpers, look for consistent body panel lines, and put it on the computer to check for over-revs.

Post pics when you make the jump!
Old 04-24-2015 | 01:21 AM
andy92782
Rennlist Member

Fortunately, the harness bar kinda keeps everything in place - 29er large frame full squish and gear. It's pretty much an El Camino with a greenhouse anyway.

I daily'd my C6 for a few years before I bought my Cadillac with the most Kid Rock, Rednecks with Paychecks exhaust you can imagine, but I know the 911 brings a different stigma. Good to know it's something that you can get used to. I work in finance so most folks think I'm a dick anyways. Can't really argue, I suppose.
Wow, I had no idea you could squeeze a 29er into the back of a C6. Not the most convenient thing but good to know you can when you need it. I love the roof rack capability of the 997. It carries my Tallboy in style but like I said, when most people see me pull up with this setup they all say something like "Dude, you're crazy, why in the world would you do that to a 911?" My response is always the same: "Why *wouldn't* I do it??"

As far as the "image" of the 911 and the perceptions people form, as long as you're okay with it, go for it. In my case I'm in outside sales and many of my customers tend to be the type who drive a Camry or a Prius. Unless I have a good relationship with them already established I admit I'll often grab the keys to my 4Runner instead.
Old 04-24-2015 | 01:21 AM
andy92782
Rennlist Member

Oh yeah, how was dinner at The French Laundry?
Old 04-24-2015 | 08:08 AM
midnightdorifto
8th Gear

Wow, I had no idea you could squeeze a 29er into the back of a C6. Not the most convenient thing but good to know you can when you need it. I love the roof rack capability of the 997. It carries my Tallboy in style but like I said, when most people see me pull up with this setup they all say something like "Dude, you're crazy, why in the world would you do that to a 911?" My response is always the same: "Why *wouldn't* I do it??"

As far as the "image" of the 911 and the perceptions people form, as long as you're okay with it, go for it. In my case I'm in outside sales and many of my customers tend to be the type who drive a Camry or a Prius. Unless I have a good relationship with them already established I admit I'll often grab the keys to my 4Runner instead.
This is exactly the picture I was looking for. What kind of roof rack do you have? From my research, it looks like Porsche makes a bespoke one, but Pelicanparts seems to also offer one (not sure if its the same as the RTS).

Oh yeah, how was dinner at The French Laundry?
It was pretty amazing - I don't have the world's most advanced palate by a wide margin, but the experience alone is fantastic. Thomas Keller's other restaurants are pretty wild too. Not sure if I'll need to make it out to Per Se after having been to French Laundry, but it was one hell of a memorable experience.
Old 04-24-2015 | 10:55 AM
mikes70
Rennlist Member

Not to get to far off of topic, as i am in sales too, i can pull up to a jobsite in my 70 Camaro that i have 62k into and people never bat an eye. You can pull up in a 65K Ford diesel crew cab, no prob. You pull up in a 40k Porsche, and well, you know MOST people's take on it...

Quick Reply: New guy - no Porsche yet, but that's where you come in