Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Clutch Pedal Wearing Hole in Carpet

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 05:32 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
... I don't trust the precision of my foot under a quick shifting situation to be able to make that small of a calculation, which is why I always go to the floor to be safe. ....
That is precisely the reason. Against the floor is the ideal reference. Let others have fun and games, until...

Of course, those who drive these cars a couple of miles (strictly) to work at slow pace with lazy shifting, and never experience what these cars were made for, i.e., spirited canyon open road driving, all must be well.
Old 04-12-2015, 07:48 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
That sounds about right from my experience. That being said, 1 -2 inches doesn't leave much room for error. I don't trust the precision of my foot under a quick shifting situation to be able to make that small of a calculation, which is why I always go to the floor to be safe. It's better to have that small margin accounted for and develop that habit.
That's an excellent point. I tried a few times pushing it past the point I normally stop, and I seem to be getting it wtihin 0.5-1"of the floorboard consistently, but you're right. Btw to the OP, I looked and with my OEM pedals there is a dent in the carpet under the clutch. The car had only about 20K on it when I got it, so I probably touch bottom more than I'm aware of.
Old 04-12-2015, 08:00 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Of course, those who drive these cars a couple of miles (strictly) to work at slow pace with lazy shifting, and never experience what these cars were made for, i.e., spirited canyon open road driving, all must be well.
See, if you're going to snark, it's a good idea to get your facts straight or it flies back in your face Snap shifting in the higher gears in spirited open road driving it's actually less critical than stop-and-go urban driving in lower gears. At speed I can easily up and downshift the top 3 gears without even using the clutch at all (not that I do!) and not feel any lever resistance. At low speed in the lower gears the lever will fight you and you'll hear the synchros spin. (Like I said, I do NOT do that!).

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Clutch Pedal Wearing Hole in Carpet