Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum-113/)
-   -   Aftermarket Clutch Pedal Wearing Hole in Carpet (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/868135-aftermarket-clutch-pedal-wearing-hole-in-carpet.html)

tommygun280 04-11-2015 06:50 PM

Aftermarket Clutch Pedal Wearing Hole in Carpet

1 Attachment(s)
I have a 2006 911S that I purchased last year. The previous owner had installed a set of the stainless pedals and Lloyd floor mats. The bottom of the clutch pedal has worn a hole in the carpet where it hits the floor. The floor mat does not protect the area.

What are your thoughts to address? Change the pedals back to factory? New floor mats (guessing these are the same size as the others, don't know). I am new to the Porsche ownership experience so thanks in advance!

Ben Z 04-11-2015 10:43 PM

I have the OEM pedals (don't really see any reason to change them as they do what pedals are supposed to do :confused:) but I never push the clutch all the way to the carpet. The last inch or so doesn't seem to do anything, the engagement point is well above that. The reason I don't is that if I put the seat up far enough so I can push the clutch all the way down (even using the toe of my shoe and having my leg completely straight) the brake pedal is then too close for me to comfortably get to it from the gas. I've had the same with every stick I've ever owned, driven them the same way (not pushing all the way down) and never had to replace a clutch.

Ken968 04-11-2015 11:07 PM

I would check to make sure there isn't a screw or something protruding too far from the back of the pedal. Many people have installed similar pedals without incident.

Ken

ADias 04-12-2015 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by Ben Z (Post 12197464)
I have the OEM pedals (don't really see any reason to change them as they do what pedals are supposed to do :confused:) but I never push the clutch all the way to the carpet. The last inch or so doesn't seem to do anything, the engagement point is well above that. The reason I don't is that if I put the seat up far enough so I can push the clutch all the way down (even using the toe of my shoe and having my leg completely straight) the brake pedal is then too close for me to comfortably get to it from the gas. I've had the same with every stick I've ever owned, driven them the same way (not pushing all the way down) and never had to replace a clutch.

It's your car and you might as well do as you please... however, with all due respect your clutch operation is very wrong. You should push the clutch pedal (toes' base) to the floor and only shift while the pedal is right on the floor. Trust me, that last inch your clutch is slipping and you are applying torque to the transmission shaft. Also... your left leg should not be straight; it should be slightly bent (20deg) when the clutch pedal is pushed to the floor - adjust the seat base to accomplish that and the seat back and steering column accordingly.

ADias 04-12-2015 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by Ken968 (Post 12197509)
I would check to make sure there isn't a screw or something protruding too far from the back of the pedal. Many people have installed similar pedals without incident.

Ken

That's probably it. The repair requires replacing the floor carpeting (not the mat).

tommygun280 04-12-2015 01:35 AM

I think I will try and repair the carpet using a small piece from under the seat or another area that cannot be seen. The screws were loose when the car arrived from the previous owner, and I ended up replacing the bottom screw with a shorter one but the damage must have already been done. I think it may have been that way when I got the car as I have only driven it a few hundred miles since I purchased it last summer (I know I need to drive more and plan to do so this year). I just can't leave it the way it is because it is getting worse.

The other thought I had was to cut off maybe .75 inches off of the bottom of the clutch pedal and then smooth it off.

Thanks for the input!

ADias 04-12-2015 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by tommygun280 (Post 12197751)
I think I will try and repair the carpet using a small piece from under the seat or another area that cannot be seen. The screws were loose when the car arrived from the previous owner, and I ended up replacing the bottom screw with a shorter one but the damage must have already been done. I think it may have been that way when I got the car as I have only driven it a few hundred miles since I purchased it last summer (I know I need to drive more and plan to do so this year). I just can't leave it the way it is because it is getting worse.

The other thought I had was to cut off maybe .75 inches off of the bottom of the clutch pedal and then smooth it off.

Thanks for the input!

Getting the right bolts is the way to go. A good interior shop can indeed replace that damaged patch and it will look perfect.

But... by all means push the clutch pedal all the way to the floor for every shift!

Hella-Buggin' 04-12-2015 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by ADias (Post 12197644)
It's your car and you might as well do as you please... however, with all due respect your clutch operation is very wrong. You should push the clutch pedal (toes' base) to the floor and only shift while the pedal is right on the floor. Trust me, that last inch your clutch is slipping and you are applying torque to the transmission shaft. Also... your left leg should not be straight; it should be slightly bent (20deg) when the clutch pedal is pushed to the floor - adjust the seat base to accomplish that and the seat back and steering column accordingly.

+1 It's like pedaling a bicycle. Your knee should still be bent at the pedals full extension.

shammerman 04-12-2015 09:11 AM

Easy fix - get PDK :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Ben Z 04-12-2015 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by ADias (Post 12197644)

LOLOLOL remind me of Cliff Clavin on Cheers. Gotta love an internet forum know-it-all. If the clutch is engaging in the last inch of travel it's in dire need of adjustment, as any skilled mechanic will attest (and in fact I discussed it with several Porsche indies I know just to make sure Porsche's weren't different than other cars I had in the past). And anyone with a lick of sense can figure that out intuitively because if the last inch were critical, everyone who puts floor mats (especially a rubber one on top of the carpeted one, as many do in winter) down is f'ing up his clutch.

I agree my left leg should not be straight. After 45 years of driving I've kinda got the whole how-to-adjust-the-seat thing down. The plain fact is that no matter how I adjust the seat and wheel, if I have it so I can push the clutch down fully with my leg still comfortably bent, then I can't bend my right ankle far enough back to pivot my foot from the gas to the brake. I have to lift my foot off the gas to hit the brakes. (And I don't have an injury or arthritis). In a split-second situation that could be the difference between life and death. So f the gd clutch.

Hella-Buggin' 04-12-2015 01:14 PM

I think it's the opposite. If your clutch isn't grabbing until the top of the pedal you have problems.
Plus, the S cars have a self adjusting clutch.

ADias 04-12-2015 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Ben Z (Post 12198502)
LOLOLOL remind me of Cliff Clavin on Cheers. Gotta love an internet forum know-it-all. If the clutch is engaging in the last inch of travel it's in dire need of adjustment, as any skilled mechanic will attest (and in fact I discussed it with several Porsche indies I know just to make sure Porsche's weren't different than other cars I had in the past). And anyone with a lick of sense can figure that out intuitively because if the last inch were critical, everyone who puts floor mats (especially a rubber one on top of the carpeted one, as many do in winter) down is f'ing up his clutch.

I agree my left leg should not be straight. After 45 years of driving I've kinda got the whole how-to-adjust-the-seat thing down. The plain fact is that no matter how I adjust the seat and wheel, if I have it so I can push the clutch down fully with my leg still comfortably bent, then I can't bend my right ankle far enough back to pivot my foot from the gas to the brake. I have to lift my foot off the gas to hit the brakes. (And I don't have an injury or arthritis). In a split-second situation that could be the difference between life and death. So f the gd clutch.

As I said... you are entitled to your opinions, but it does not make it right. :cheers:

Ben Z 04-12-2015 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by ADias (Post 12198635)
As I said... you are entitled to your opinions, but it does not make it right. :cheers:

Inasmuch as my opinions are confirmed by Porsche-certified mechanics who build and team-race them, I think I'll just stick with them vs the opinions of laypeople reposting what they read somewhere on the internet.

Ben Z 04-12-2015 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin' (Post 12198512)
I think it's the opposite. If your clutch isn't grabbing until the top of the pedal you have problems.
Plus, the S cars have a self adjusting clutch.

It's a problem if the pressure point is too high or too low. It's supposed to be just right. That's what specs are for.

And in all the S-cars with self-adjusting clutches I've driven, the engagement point is about 2" up from the floor. It may start to phase in before that, but at 1" (according to the guys who service them) there is no engagement yet.

One mechanic (BMW) told me they make it that way so women can drive in heels, but I'm not sure that's more than speculation.

Hella-Buggin' 04-12-2015 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Ben Z (Post 12198829)
It's a problem if the pressure point is too high or too low. It's supposed to be just right. That's what specs are for.

And in all the S-cars with self-adjusting clutches I've driven, the engagement point is about 2" up from the floor. It may start to phase in before that, but at 1" (according to the guys who service them) there is no engagement yet.

One mechanic (BMW) told me they make it that way so women can drive in heels, but I'm not sure that's more than speculation.

That sounds about right from my experience. That being said, 1 -2 inches doesn't leave much room for error. I don't trust the precision of my foot under a quick shifting situation to be able to make that small of a calculation, which is why I always go to the floor to be safe. It's better to have that small margin accounted for and develop that habit.