Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need your collective paint knowledge.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 09:41 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Received 292 Likes on 173 Posts
Default Need your collective paint knowledge.

My SO picked up a new 2015 Cayman. Drive it home, notice a black spot on the inside of the air scoop at the bottom of the front bumper. Was thinking maybe a small rock chip.

Clean it up a little and the paint just peels. Now it's about 1/2" by 1/3" wide and looks like it wants to get bigger.

Sent pictures to Porsche and they said they cover the repair. Wtf is going on with the paint? Who knows.

Was going to clearbra it this weekend but obviously can't do the bumper now since it needs fixing. The plan was to clear bra the full hood and fenders which we'll still do. That leaves the bumper. What do you do?

1- Tell Porsche we'll repaint on their dime in 4 years.
2- Repaint now and figure out cure times. Then clearbra. I'm told 2-3 days if baked and 30-45 if not. Don't know what they do these days.
3- Tell Porsche to grab a new bumper. Paint it and hold onto it till it can be clearbra-ed
4- Tell Porsche to paint bumper and give us another Porsche to drive till the bumper can be clearbra-ed
5 - Tell Porsche to send a 918 replacement.
6- any other really bright ideas or scenarios I haven't covered?

Seriously. Wtf. Car is 4 days old. Ordered. Waited. And now this. Stuff happens but still not happy

Old 04-09-2015, 10:30 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 352 Likes on 183 Posts

I think your option number 2 is the only one that Porsche will go for and shouldn't be a big deal. Bumpers are repainted all the time from parking lot damage. I know from experience. My bumper had a clear bra on it. They peeled it off, repaired it, and repainted it. I was concerned about the cure time. They assured me that with today's paint there is minimal cure time required. Not so with the old paints full of dangerous solvents. I think it cured for maybe 2 days and then they applied the clear bra. Looks perfect. Well I haven't peeled it off so for all I know it will peel the paint right off. But I doubt it. I think they knew what they were doing.
Old 04-09-2015, 10:35 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Not overly concerned about the damage. Just trying to understand the logistics so I can get it fixed and protected with minimal downtime.

I keep reading 30+ days to cure new paint.
Old 04-10-2015, 01:04 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 144 Likes on 113 Posts

not your problem. It's the dealer's.
I'd go with number two.
Make sure they paint it off the car.
If it were on my eight year old car, I would call it patina.
New car? I'm with you.
Old 04-10-2015, 02:32 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I also think option 2 is your only choice.

I would look very closely at the bumper for signs that it may have been resprayed before you purchased it. Minor damage happens regularly during transport overseas and it's fairly common to do touch up work at the port before the car is released to the dealer. It's also possible something happened at the dealer and they had it touched up. Did you track the amount of time it spent at the port? I know mine was at port in NJ for only a few days before it was released to the dealer. Anything more than a 10 days would make me suspicious.

Being a new car this is a bummer since there's no guarantee that your paint on the bumper won't peel when that bra is removed in the future regardless of how long it's cured. It's not common but it can happen and a clear bra installer will confirm this.
Old 04-10-2015, 02:44 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Hey workhurts! Sorry to see the problem with your SO's car. I hope yours is still humming along nicely!

I have also been told 30 days for paint curing. When I bought my car, part of the deal included the dealer replacing the "clear" chip guards in front of the rear wheels since they had visible yellowing. They accidentally pulled off a square inch chunk of the paint near the bottom when removing the old plastic guard. While they fortunately took care of it, they told me to wait and come back in a month later to apply the new guard on that side after the repaint was complete.

The other story that is somewhat related is that my son had a new Camry that had paint peeling off the bumper in a manner similar to what you show and describe. They first tried a spot fix, but it wasn't long before other places on the bumper started doing the same. Apparently it wasn't just a local problem but a problem with the entire bumper surface not being properly prepared or painted. I would suggest your SO make a strong request that they remove the bumper from the car (as BIG smoke suggests) and fully strip/repaint the whole bumper. If you don't take it back down to the plastic I would question whether the loose adhesion of the existing paint would cause any new paint laid over top of it to pull away just as easily once a rock chip causes a breach in the surface. I would also be afraid that removal of a clear bra with that existing paint anywhere underneath would pull the paint off as well. Maybe I'm being alarmist, but why would the paint problem you are seeing be limited to just one spot on the bumper?
Old 04-10-2015, 11:33 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Seems to be a consensus. Even from the dealer. Remove. Strip. Paint. Clear. Bake.

Going to try to arrange it before we go on a 2 week vacation so it'll just sit for a while.

Kinda funny, the selling dealer got back to me with an OK cuz the Porsche regional rep OKed the repair. Local dealer that has the body shop hasn't gotten back to me yet cuz they're trying to verify the OK.

I agree, there's no telling what's going on with the bumper even though the rest looks fine.

As to the comment about it being the dealers problem. Well, not really as they aren't going to warranty anything Porsche won't cover so it really Porsche. Anyway, I'm semi confident things will end well.

Didn't really see any evidence of paint work at all. Anyway, getting the rest of the panels clear bra'ed tomorrow and will wait on bumper resolution.
Old 04-11-2015, 12:00 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Can they "bake" a poly bumper cover? Not sure how high a temperature the poly can withstand.

Quick Reply: Need your collective paint knowledge.