Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Porsche Driver's Nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 10:16 AM
Captsteve123
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You should check out on YouTube, search for Electric Porsche 911.
This guy turned his 911 into an electric car!
Old 04-07-2015, 10:21 AM
guardsred997
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tomc_mets
What mpg do you get?
T
P.s. Very slick GR 911. Is that red over beige?
Thanks! It is red over beige. Just picked it up in March...Love it...

I get about 40-45mpg.....With a lease payment of $190 a month and $20 fill ups, it fits the bill for a cheap commuter. I end up only filling up twice a month. In rush hour traffic it doesn't really matter anyway.

Make no mistake though, there really is no substitute....LOL
Old 04-07-2015, 10:57 AM
Comanche_699
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by awrryan
... everyone took the OP's comments that they were blocking traffic as true, nobody noticed that there were two additional cars in front of the four Prius (plural) that were likely the cause of traffic...
I think that's because, other types of cars discovered at freeway on-ramps (or on the road in general) don't typically garner the same collective emotional response as suddenly coming upon a Prius when driving your Porsche.

(Except Honda Odysseys & Subaru Foresters possibly)

That's not so much a nightmare. However when a Porsche 911, with nice headers, x-pipe, and FD Motorsport cans, rounds the bend... (top down, smile on, right foot feeling slightly heavy) sees two lanes that merge down to one as you join the ramp, there is a moment of anticipation.

The "nightmare" part of this event was that there were two Prius in each lane, and that the world (unfairly) conspired to allow both lanes containing said Prius -to merge directly in front of the beloved Porsche, mid-growl (as it were).

A Porsche Driver's Nightmare.

Hahaha
Old 04-07-2015, 02:11 PM
rjshar
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For some reason, I see very few Prii down here in Miami, but the drivers are all essentially fit for Prii type cars. I think I get merged on at least twice a week and the fastest lane is usually the right lane... Being from up North, I can still relate to your Prius pains.
Old 04-07-2015, 02:36 PM
jmt053
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the positive side of these slow cars... I was on a drive last Saturday morning. I had just come down from a fairly fast drive in the hills and was getting on the freeway (280 southbound at Woodside Rd for those in the bay area). I had to slow down on the onramp due to the 3 or 4 econo-boxes merging at 55 mph. As it turns out a CHP was going about 80 in the fast lane just as I merged into traffic. He pulled someone over in a honda about 1/2 mile later. Had I merged onto the freeway in my usual manner there, I most likely would have been his next donor to the general fund. It worked out for the best and nobody was slowing me down in the hills where it's more fun.
Old 04-07-2015, 05:07 PM
LewSF
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're in Marin...what do you expect! I know that ramp. Tragic!
Old 04-07-2015, 06:56 PM
gasongasoff
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

And people wonder why there's so much traffic in the bay area.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:48 PM
sleepy
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you driven these cars? Can't blame them.

I had a Prius for loaner when I brought in my 997 for service. The ECU just wouldn't open the throttle to make the car go fast. Anything short of pedal to the floor made me want to punch the car.

Frankly, those Prius going 80mph on the freeway are the ones that surprise me. How do they make the car go? Maybe they do floor the throttle all the time.
Old 04-08-2015, 01:55 AM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 492 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick-A-Shay
Looks like a spirited drive with the local Prius Club
ROFL
Old 04-08-2015, 09:09 AM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by sleepy
....I had a Prius for loaner when I brought in my 997 for service...
Man, that's brutal. I think the dealership is trying to prove to you just how lucky you are to own a 911....T
Old 04-10-2015, 12:10 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

$1,000. 30 MPG in stop and go traffic. 34-38 MPG on the highway.

Less damaging to the environment, bigger, more comfortable, and WAY better built than a smugmobile Prius.
Attached Images  
Old 04-10-2015, 12:31 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Carmichael
$1,000. 30 MPG in stop and go traffic. 34-38 MPG on the highway.

Less damaging to the environment, bigger, more comfortable, and WAY better built than a smugmobile Prius.
Nice. What year and model of Benz is that? Is it a Diesel?
T
Old 04-10-2015, 12:40 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It is a diesel. Loud and smoky OM606.910. The 2JZ-GE of the diesel world!

It's a 1995 E300 Diesel, bought off an NIU student who couldn't stand how slow it was, so he "upgraded" to a Grand Marquis. She's got 353,567 miles and counting, and she started right up when it was -23*f out this winter.

I have a set of Lorinser sport shocks, H&R lowering springs, a full bushing and balljoint kit, and R129 SL600 332mm rotors, 4 piston Brembo calipers and refurbished AMG Monoblocs off an '01 W220 S600 waiting to go on this summer. My fiancee drives it most of the time.
Old 04-10-2015, 04:51 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Comanche_699
Yes my friends. That is FOUR Priuses choking a lovely sweeper onto an amazing freeway on ramp.

FOUR.

(one for each lane, once they eventually get onto the freeway)
To be fair its probably some idiot in a Toyota Avalon or Camry driving slow at the front that is causing the backup.

Of the Prius, all of the Prius drivers I've seen drive their cars highly inefficiently - flogging them down the road at max acceleration. I'd bet they get < 20 mpg on those things.

That and they endanger everyone as the idiot (often south-east asian woman in the Seattle area) by driving their cars past dusk and in the dark with no headlights and tail-lights on, because of the always illuminated dash, they are to stupid to remember to turn on the exterior lights when its dark.
Old 04-10-2015, 06:45 PM
Captsteve123
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Minok
To be fair its probably some idiot in a Toyota Avalon or Camry driving slow at the front that is causing the backup.

Of the Prius, all of the Prius drivers I've seen drive their cars highly inefficiently - flogging them down the road at max acceleration. I'd bet they get < 20 mpg on those things.

That and they endanger everyone as the idiot (often south-east asian woman in the Seattle area) by driving their cars past dusk and in the dark with no headlights and tail-lights on, because of the always illuminated dash, they are to stupid to remember to turn on the exterior lights when its dark.
Driving the Florida TP, following 2 Porsche 911's headed north, then get stuck behind a frigon Prius in the fast lane holding us back. Those cars should be allowed to get in fast lane! Held up 30 cars, and slow lane was jammed. Done with that below the speed limit and blocking on the TP.

Quick Reply: A Porsche Driver's Nightmare