Sponsored by:

IMS failure??

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 10:13 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
Can't answer (1) above, but the odds your car's engine is suffering from an IMS failure right this minute is very low. A few flecks of metal, in the oil filter which is there to catch these, and one ferrous one in an oil sump that has not been removed since day one is not out of the ordinary.

You want something to worry about? Worry about whirled peas.
I was wondering how long it would be before someone brought up whirled peas. Will it never end?
Old 04-06-2015, 07:40 AM
sy308
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the engine code correction.

If you really want to get **** about the engine, the oil needs to be sampled and sent off for analysis at the time the filter is cut. To a degree, the concentration of alloys in the oil can help to satisfy curiosity as to what engine component is wearing. There is, however, quiet a difference between aircraft oil analysis and motorcars because of the vast differences in oils used, fuel type and and overall manufacturing differences and metallurgy. But people do it anyway. One needs to be sure the correct information is included with the sample in order to draw the correct conclusions.
Old 04-06-2015, 02:17 PM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sy308
Thanks for the engine code correction.

If you really want to get **** about the engine, the oil needs to be sampled and sent off for analysis at the time the filter is cut. To a degree, the concentration of alloys in the oil can help to satisfy curiosity as to what engine component is wearing. There is, however, quiet a difference between aircraft oil analysis and motorcars because of the vast differences in oils used, fuel type and and overall manufacturing differences and metallurgy. But people do it anyway. One needs to be sure the correct information is included with the sample in order to draw the correct conclusions.
I have been sending my oil out for analysis for over 40 years. The 996 that had medal flakes in the filter showed fine on the analysis. My conclusion was that it was not a part that was wearing, there by putting small particles in the oil but larger flakes maybe from a part that was failing that didn't show up in the analysis. Or maybe these engines just make a lot of metal??
Old 04-07-2015, 01:12 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

Don't just assume the metal in the filter is from the IMSB. These engines have many more modes of failure that generate debris than the IMSB.

That said, we've only seen a total of 5 M97 IMSB failures, ever... Of those 5, there were 4 of them that saw heavy track usage, and we've already proven that high speed operation is the only thing that will really kill the M97 IMSB.

Were the particles ferrous? What color were they? Was the sump plate pulled for inspection? Do you have any photos?

There's no reason to offer M97 IMSB products, because so few of them fail.
Old 04-07-2015, 01:37 AM
Aolszowy
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
Don't just assume the metal in the filter is from the IMSB. These engines have many more modes of failure that generate debris than the IMSB.

That said, we've only seen a total of 5 M97 IMSB failures, ever... Of those 5, there were 4 of them that saw heavy track usage, and we've already proven that high speed operation is the only thing that will really kill the M97 IMSB.

Were the particles ferrous? What color were they? Was the sump plate pulled for inspection? Do you have any photos?

There's no reason to offer M97 IMSB products, because so few of them fail.
Very happy to hear of the very limited failures! I've decided to button up the bottom end of the car, put another 1,000 miles on the car and then check the oil/filter again for a baseline. This oil change was the first since purchase so I don't know exactly how many miles since last change....will pull the records from the filing cabinet and confirm.

The small flakes in the filter looked very shiny and silver. The single speck in the sump was the size of needle point and barely visible. We were able to pick it up with a magnet. Unfortunately I didn't think to take photos of the contamination.

Quick Reply: IMS failure??