Sponsored by:

About to join the club - Pre Purchase Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 08:20 AM
rjshar
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default About to join the club - Pre Purchase Questions

After years of searching, I put a deposit down on a 2009 C4S with more options than I would have chosen myself. It has 40,000 miles and is CPO. I have a few questions:

1. Should I be concerned if the Carfax indicates that the PDK transmission was replaced 5k miles ago? The way I see it, this could be either a good or a bad thing.

2. The factory options list PCCB, but the calipers are black. I haven't been able to discern what rotors are on the car from the pictures, but I will be going to review the car in person prior to completing the sale. Has anyone here heard of black calipers on PCCB?

3. Since it's CPO and about 4 hours away from me, I'm going to forego an independent PPI, but will be inspecting it very closely myself. Is there anything I should be looking for specifically? Will a DME report show over revs if it's been tracked hard even though it's PDK?

Thanks!!!!
Old 03-27-2015, 08:35 AM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 203 Likes on 134 Posts

Calipers should be yellow if its got PCCB. If they were changed out to steelies, which kind of sounds like it, then they should reduce the price or give you them back in a box. Its possible the owner changes them out if and when the rotors needed replaces. I've not heard of people painting the PCCB calipers. If its CPO, is must have all Porsche parts.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:37 AM
patpetillo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I own a 2010 c4s loaded with the pdk. See my thoughts below

1). Not really sure. I have not had any issues but have seen other post with trans issues
2). I have the PCCBs but have never seen black.
3) car can not be over rev with pdk

What is the price they are asking?
Old 03-27-2015, 08:40 AM
rjshar
Rennlist Member

I think its appropriately priced for not having PCCB. We negotiated to a sale price of about $56,000. I thought that was a pretty great price for this car considering the mileage. Would anyone mind confirming that sentiment?
Old 03-27-2015, 08:56 AM
rjshar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DC911S
Calipers should be yellow if its got PCCB. If they were changed out to steelies, which kind of sounds like it, then they should reduce the price or give you them back in a box. Its possible the owner changes them out if and when the rotors needed replaces. I've not heard of people painting the PCCB calipers. If its CPO, is must have all Porsche parts.
I don't think I've ever seen black calipers on a 997, but they appear to have the Porsche branding. Maybe the original owner had them painted?

Also, I should mention this is a one owner car and all service appears to have been done at Porsche dealers, so I'll be gathering the service records today.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:39 AM
sambb
Instructor

Originally Posted by rjshar
I think its appropriately priced for not having PCCB. We negotiated to a sale price of about $56,000. I thought that was a pretty great price for this car considering the mileage. Would anyone mind confirming that sentiment?
I was in the market a month ago for a cpo car. I think the price you have there is fair, not great and not bad. I think it is an appropriate price - with tranny replaced some might say it should be lower, others higher. The CPO is nice but will end soon. Overall a fair price. Of note, i found that Negotiated price on 997s is far less than advertised price, with cars on lot for awhile. Look around, you might be surprised what you can negotiate.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:52 AM
rjshar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sambb

I was in the market a month ago for a cpo car. I think the price you have there is fair, not great and not bad. I think it is an appropriate price - with tranny replaced some might say it should be lower, others higher. The CPO is nice but will end soon. Overall a fair price. Of note, i found that Negotiated price on 997s is far less than advertised price, with cars on lot for awhile. Look around, you might be surprised what you can negotiate.
The started out asking $58k, and it just got on the lot this week. I figured I could get a lower price working a deal quickly since it's right at quarter end and could help their sales numbers.

I feel like this is a pretty great price for some reason. I only see 2 CPO C4S's in the entire country below $60k asking, and the other has almost 20k more miles. The factor options on this one are:

176 - Sports Exhaust System
220 - Limited Slip Rear Differential Lock
250 - 7-speed Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
342 - Heated Seats
404 - 19" Turbo Wheel
450 - Porsche Ceramic Composite Brake (PCCB)
509 - Fire Extinguisher
541 - Seat ventilation
603 - Dynamic Cornering Lights
619 - Bluetooth Interface for Mobile Phone
640 - Sport Chrono Package Plus
672 - Navigation Module for PCM
680 - BOSE High End Sound Package
686 - XM Radio
693 - 6-Disc CD/DVD Changer
810 - Floor Mats in Interior Color
844 - 3-Spoke PDK Multifunction Steering Wheel in Smooth Leather
870 - Universal Audio Interface
9Q - Meteor Grey Metallic
AT - Black Full Leather
P15 - Power Comfort Seats with Driver Memory
XRP - Wheel Spacers

I could be wrong about my feelings about the price, so please let me know if you think this price is just ok.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:34 AM
sambb
Instructor

when i negotiated i found that asking price was largely irrelevant, some dealers offering 10k off on a 997.2. I don't know about your individual car, but a lot of these are sitting on lots, until the price is right. I was shocked how low dealers go.

I think your price is just ok based on my negotiations for all sorts of 997s in the 55-70 range. Remember that your cpo will end quickly. Its not a bad price. But you would be surprised. It is a 6 year old car..

If you are in south florida why not consider a newer S, rather than a 4s. good luck.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:48 AM
rjshar
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the insight. I'll definitely keep that in mind.

I plan on keeping this car indefinitely and using it as a daily driver, so it will see at least 15k miles per year. Eventually I will be moving back up north, so the AWD will come in handy. I also love the look of the wide body on the 4S. I'm hoping that any persistent issues will present themselves within the next two years while the car is under warranty. If I'm not 100% confident in the reliability of this car after 2 years and 30k miles, I'll likely sell it. A $13k PDK transplant doesn't sound like fun to me.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:57 AM
Q 997.2 C4S
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 27 Posts

Sounds like an awesome deal! My CPO 2009 C4S with fewer options than yours cost me $62K (list $69k) in January. The only thing I'd be concerned about is the calipers which should be yellow for ceramics. Other than that, I'd say go for it!
Old 03-27-2015, 10:58 AM
Q 997.2 C4S
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 27 Posts

Oh and ask if they've done the 40K service because I believe that's a big $$$ one.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:01 AM
rjshar
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the insight Q! That's more what I was seeing in the market, so that was more of the response that I was expecting!

I will certainly be making sure that's part of the CPO process. Hopefully I can get them to do the plugs which are a 40k/4 year item, and the belt, which is a 6 year item. I'll make sure to post pics next week when I plan to take delivery.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:02 AM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Base model 997.1 C2/C4 had black calipers. Sport model C2S/C4S had red calipers. PCCB option is yellow calipers. Not positive but I thought 997.2 followed the same model. Sometimes calipers turn nasty colors from excessive heat on the track too.

The most likely scenario is the prior owner replaced the PCCB ceramic rotors with metal versions, along with the calipers at the same time. Why would someone do this on a relatively young/low mileage car? Because they either (1) tracked the car and did not want to destroy the expensive ceramic rotors or (2) sold off the expensive PCCB option pocketing the cash prior to selling the car. Take this into consideration when pricing the car.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:08 AM
sambb
Instructor

Originally Posted by semicycler
Base model 997.1 C2/C4 had black calipers. Sport model C2S/C4S had red calipers. PCCB option is yellow calipers. Not positive but I thought 997.2 followed the same model. Sometimes calipers turn nasty colors from excessive heat on the track too.

The most likely scenario is the prior owner replaced the PCCB ceramic rotors with metal versions, along with the calipers at the same time. Why would someone do this on a relatively young/low mileage car? Because they either (1) tracked the car and did not want to destroy the expensive ceramic rotors or (2) sold off the expensive PCCB option pocketing the cash prior to selling the car. Take this into consideration when pricing the car.
I would be very concerned that the car was tracked extensively and with the tranny failure, i would reconsider, even if cpo. I really don't believe that this car sounds like a bargain at that price. Nevertheless, no one really knows. Just doesn't seem right.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:10 AM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 203 Likes on 134 Posts

Thats a good list of options....the full leather and sports exhaust is not something typically found. But ask about those brakes, if they are not the PCCB, then you are screwed at resale value.....that's a expensive option.

Quick Reply: About to join the club - Pre Purchase Questions