Sponsored by:

About to join the club - Pre Purchase Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 12:16 PM
rjshar
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SpeedyD
To clarify -- I said the tracking part based mostly on the fire extinguisher option for the car, possibly the tranny replacement (recent), the LSD option, PCCB option, and the (possible) modification or replacement of the calipers. That set of options and information hints at track use. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing.

Other than lacking the sport design steering wheel, they really went all-out on the car!
So if it were heavily tracked, what would be the wear points.... The PDK was replaced 5k miles ago, so that should be good to go. I don't think the engine is an area of concerned if it comes back with a clean DME and regular maintenance. What about suspension components? Any way to check for excessive wear there?

Also, with PCCB, I've heard street driving should only wear like 2mm of pad over 50k miles, and they start at 11mm new, so that could also help identify how hard this car was driven.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:34 PM
Q 997.2 C4S
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by semicycler
... Also notice the clear corners. Can a car be CPO'd with clear corners? I thought this was a non-US option. Not an issue really but does raise questions about the CPO process. I'd ask the selling dealer about both the non-standard black calipers with ceramic rotors, and non-standard clear corners.
My CPO has clear corners. I bought it in Florida.
Old 03-27-2015, 02:02 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by rjshar
So if it were heavily tracked, what would be the wear points.... The PDK was replaced 5k miles ago, so that should be good to go. I don't think the engine is an area of concerned if it comes back with a clean DME and regular maintenance. What about suspension components? Any way to check for excessive wear there?

Also, with PCCB, I've heard street driving should only wear like 2mm of pad over 50k miles, and they start at 11mm new, so that could also help identify how hard this car was driven.
First route to go is just ask straight up the dealer about the areas that stand out / are worthy of questioning -- their incentives aren't aligned with you overall, however, but some are more honest than others and may save headaches of trying to suss things out on your own.

Then I'd have someone with more knowledge of Porsches take a look w/you if at all possible.

Finally, the CPO provides a really, really nice security blanket for disastrous flaws/defects in the car. It doesn't help with aggregated but more minor things. Visual inspection will go a decent way but nothing will beat a PPI in that regard.

I could be completely wrong about the track use and, again, it may not be such a bad thing. Just a couple of the spec'd items (and the changes) hint at it to me. You will need the input from someone who really knows more than I do to get at the best indicators, but even then, I suspect at some point a layperson will have a hard time distinguishing by yourself.
Old 03-28-2015, 01:36 PM
rjshar
Rennlist Member

At the dealer now. Previous owner was a DE instructor, but I believe this was his DD, not a track car. The tech said he knows the previous owner and it was extremely well taken car of. I do believe it was tracked, but I think it was to an acceptable amount. The car drove very well and tight, as good as any 911 I've ever had the pleasure of driving.

This is going to be my first Porsche!

BTW, prior owner had the calipers powder coated at a Porsche dealer, these are PCCB.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:23 PM
wardrive
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 70 Posts

Congrats OP. Was following the thread and glad to hear you are going with the car. Based on what I see in my area that sounds like a good deal, and with CPO to boot! Show pics soon.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:58 AM
rjshar
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all of the discussion everyone, my car is scheduled to arrive via car carrier after 6 pm tonight! I'll be sure to post pictures!
Old 04-05-2015, 10:12 AM
rjshar
Rennlist Member

I haven't been able to get the app to upload some photos, but here are some rough shots fresh off the truck. My first, and hopefully not last, Pcar!!!

Old 04-06-2015, 09:50 PM
dalancroft
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just FYI, I'm pretty sure the state you live in is spelled "FLORIDA," not "Folorida" as you have it. Might want to edit.

Great-looking car, though, and enjoy!
Old 04-06-2015, 10:24 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 671 Likes on 359 Posts

Very nice! The grey paint on the insides of the Turbo wheels works really nicely with your paint. Be prepared to spend a lot of time grinning behind the wheel!
Old 04-07-2015, 01:05 AM
hockenheimr
Burning Brakes

Nice car, I always liked that color and the 997.2 4S has that classic rear light bar in the middle. Apparently dealers are not yet able to fix pdk issues so if anything arises they have to change the whole unit. This was last I heard, so this may have changed but likely explains what happened with the trans.

Cheers!

Last edited by hockenheimr; 04-07-2015 at 09:56 AM.
Old 04-07-2015, 09:11 AM
rjshar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dalancroft
Just FYI, I'm pretty sure the state you live in is spelled "FLORIDA," not "Folorida" as you have it. Might want to edit.

Great-looking car, though, and enjoy!
Ha! Thanks for the heads up, I never see it because I'm on the mobile app 99% of the time.
Old 04-07-2015, 04:20 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by patpetillo
I own a 2010 c4s loaded with the pdk. See my thoughts below

1). Not really sure. I have not had any issues but have seen other post with trans issues
2). I have the PCCBs but have never seen black.
3) car can not be over rev with pdk

What is the price they are asking?
That (#3) is not correct. PDK cars CAN have over revs in Range 1 and possibly in Range 2. Over revs on PDK cars have been reported here on the 997 Forum and on the 991 Forum.

PDK Over Revs Observed
Old 05-07-2015, 09:02 AM
rjshar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gota911
That (#3) is not correct. PDK cars CAN have over revs in Range 1 and possibly in Range 2. Over revs on PDK cars have been reported here on the 997 Forum and on the 991 Forum.

PDK Over Revs Observed
Just thought I'd give an update.

Yes the car had some over revs in range 1 and 2, but after research I realized these are considered "safe".

I've had it for about a month now, and when I'm not driving it, I miss it like crazy!

Here is a pic I took the other night. Thanks for all of the insight everyone!

Quick Reply: About to join the club - Pre Purchase Questions