Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Heel and toe approach?
Traditional - stock pedals
27.40%
Traditional - aftermarket pedals
1.37%
Rolling/side of foot - stock
42.47%
Rolling/side of foot - aftermarket
17.81%
Don't heel/toe
10.96%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Heel and toe

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 03:21 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 115 Posts
Question Heel and toe

Thought it would be interesting to see the approach to heel and toe by enthusiasts.

Traditional (actually using ball of foot on brake and heel for gas)
Rolling (using the side of the foot)
And then whether using stock pedals or aftermarket.

Shoes size might be an interesting addition too.
Old 03-25-2015, 03:30 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Like I've been doing since I was 15.
Old 03-25-2015, 03:45 PM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Stock pedals suck at facilitating heel-toe, need to upgrade pedals for this to be more effective.
Old 03-25-2015, 04:32 PM
Slamuth
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a "roll" guy. Legs are too long to get a true heel-and-toe motion; steering wheel gets in my way.
Old 03-25-2015, 04:42 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Slamuth
I'm a "roll" guy. Legs are too long to get a true heel-and-toe motion; steering wheel gets in my way.
Me too, which is one reason I posted this thread.

I do find the stock pedals less than ideal for that technique. Find it much easier to do in my BMW.

It might be a technique issue for me too... but getting something that widens the gas pedal a bit is compelling...
Old 03-25-2015, 05:45 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 347 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedyD
Me too, which is one reason I posted this thread.

I do find the stock pedals less than ideal for that technique. Find it much easier to do in my BMW.

It might be a technique issue for me too... but getting something that widens the gas pedal a bit is compelling...
Same here. To tall for traditional heel/toe. And rolling technique on the 997 is tough mostly because even when tossing the anchor out the accelerator pedal is not level with the brake pedal. I have to roll very far down to blip it. However, with aftermarket pedals, while the brake pedal is replaced and remains at the same level, the aftermarket accelerator pedal sits on top of the OEM pedal which raises it to the same level as the brake. Add the extra surface area of both pedals and rolling heel/toe is as smooth as butter.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:51 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

roll, aftermarket pedals.

I have more pedal control in this manner in my opinion. I wear a size 13 sneaker so its a bit difficult to cram that onto the pedals, especially in the narrower 993 pedal box.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:02 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Yeah, size 13 shoes and even w/driving shoes, I don't have the confidence in the footwell vs. knee in the wheel vs. contortion to get the traditional blip going. All that and what is probably not great foot technique... though, again, BMW is much easier for me.

I better get myself an aftermarket kit on (I know there are separate threads on this). What is interesting from the poll so far, is the nearly 50/50 split in the technique usage and that most who roll use aftermarket pedals...
Old 03-25-2015, 08:01 PM
MFGJR
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a roller, 8-1/2 D size shoe, stock pedals. Heel stays planted on the floor between the two pedals, but moving the right knee to be centered over the brake pedal when braking is initiated allows me to rock my entire leg for the blip--rather than trying to do it using just the ankle's range of motion. Also it's less stressful on my knee in the big brake zones at the track. Read that tip somewhere, made a big difference for me. Data shows some room for better consistency in maintaining brake pressure during the blips, though.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:54 PM
TideRace
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the Rennline pedal set and currently use the rolling technique, but need to overcome the long leg issue and learn traditional technique for the track.

The problem is that any muscle memory developed with the rolling technique in street driving is useless on the track since I'm so much deeper in the brake pedal travel when on the track. It makes the relative positions of the brake and gas pedals completely different from street driving.

When I lower my seat and raise the wheel a bit I can slide my knee over and get in that position where I can mash the gas pedal with my heel, but that's a weird way to drive around on the street.

Any advice regarding how others have developed reliable track techniques would be appreciated. It feels a little risky to get this all worked out exclusively on the track while potentially screwing up a braking zone, overcooking a turn in point, and the resultant "off" at speed.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:25 PM
AWay
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 74 Posts

The 'Traditional' method of heel/toe is anything but these days. The term is from an age where pedals were located differently than today's clutch-brake-gas arrangement. I think it was clutch on the left, brake on the right, and the gas pedal somewhere down and in the middle. The term however lingers on.

Rolling the ball of the foot is the way to do it and aftermarket pedals make life much easier than the stock arrangement. Have a look at SRP.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:28 PM
sebBo13
Advanced

I guess I am somewhat in between the 2 options. I have long legs (shoe size 12) and initially "rolled" but since I got my Suncoast pedals (which are awesome BTW) I am trying to learn the traditional technique. I found it tremendously difficult to practice this on the street though, because I hardly ever have to brake hard enough to make it realistic.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:29 PM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 48 Posts

Aftermarket pedals, roll my foot. I find that the 911 bottom hinged gas pedal makes the heel part of the heel/toe almost impossible. Rolling works perfect on track and aggressive street driving. Size 10.5 shoe
Old 03-25-2015, 10:40 PM
beden1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At 6'4" I have a problem with tight leg room and the steering wheel gets in the way. I also don't like how the factory pedals are positioned and I was surprised when I first got the car that heel and toe was so difficult. I had no problem in my C6 Z06.

I would need different pedals and a smaller steering wheel. In the mean time, I rev match when down shifting by tapping the gas pedal beforehand.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:59 AM
dalancroft
Racer

My late father drove a little '64 VW Bug to and from work every day. We lived at the bottom of a long hill and he had to turn right, and then right again, to get into our driveway. We knew he was almost home because we would hear him heel 'n' toe the little car, matching revs perfectly, right before braking for the two turns into our house. Brings back memories.

Quick Reply: Heel and toe