Sponsored by:

997 C2S oil leaking while in storage

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 10:06 AM
hockenheimr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 997 C2S oil leaking while in storage

I am rebuilding a 964 engine right behind my 997 C2S and thus I've noticed some oil under the very very end of the 997 rear a few times but always thought it was from the 964 engine. Now that the 964 engine is completely in pieces and cleaned I just realized it was from the 997.

Basically I have a few drops of oil coming off the rear bumper on the 997. If you touch the inside of the bumper you can feel it's oily. I've suspected my Engine mounts were going bad for a while so it could be these but I'm not sure how much oil is in them.

I haven't driven the car in 4 months....although I did start it up 2 times for 10 mins.

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 03-16-2015, 11:56 AM
hockenheimr
Burning Brakes

In-case anyone was interested, I found the source of the leak. Steering fluid was slowly dripping from the 964 on top down onto the window...then down on the side of the spoiler....to the rear bumper and onto the floor. Just really happy the 997 is not actually leaking oil

Old 03-16-2015, 12:07 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Make sure you clean all that power steering fluid off of all the surfaces. It is probably Pentosin and that is not nice fluid to have leaking onto anything. I believe it is water soluble so it is rather easy to clean up.
Old 03-16-2015, 04:22 PM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
Make sure you clean all that power steering fluid off of all the surfaces. It is probably Pentosin and that is not nice fluid to have leaking onto anything. I believe it is water soluble so it is rather easy to clean up.
Agree - clean thoroughly! I assume it is similar to brake fluid. In that case It will dissolve plastic and make it brittle as porcelain. My brother did this with his sports bike which was leaking brake fluid onto the plastic fairings. He wiped it off on the outside but next day when he popped it into first gear there was a small detonation (yes i am not kidding) and part of the plastic fairing was pulverized.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:13 AM
hockenheimr
Burning Brakes

Ok thanks, cleaned it up...rubber and plastic parts seem ok
Old 03-17-2015, 12:28 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Pentosin ain't as bad as brake fluid. IIRC it is hard on rubber. But I would not like to have it on anything. When my Turbo's spoiler system started acting up and I found spoiler fluid (Pentosin) leak sign, I rinsed the spoiler cylinders and the rear of the car to remove any fluid and then pulled the fuse to prevent the spoiler from deploying and possibly leaking more fluid when up.

Quick Reply: 997 C2S oil leaking while in storage