Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Urgent... Good indie in Toronto/ GTA?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 10:19 PM
BogdanR
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Urgent... Good indie in Toronto/ GTA?

Hello everyone.
Unfortunately my beloved 997 has scoring on cylinder 6. I've already talked to EU Autowerks and Pfaff. Pfaff really tries to help but in the end their prices are prohibitive for the state of my finances. Autowerks have also been nice and tried to help but their solutions are also out of my range.

Question is, is there any shop in the GTA that would properly and cost effectively rebore a 3.6l?

Please let me know.

Thanks!
Old 03-11-2015, 11:53 PM
halo777
Rennlist Member

Received 107 Likes on 64 Posts

There is no cheap solution, sorry.

Here are a few more you can try anyway

Hunter Motorsport - talk to Brent (although I think you are looking at at least $20k CAD for a rebuild)
Hartech in the UK - I think they might be the cheapest guys to repair your engine, and then Hunter could assist with the engine pull and install
Whaletail (www.whaletailcanada.com) - Talk to Randy about getting a replacement engine. He was the cheapest reliable rebuild I could find when I was looking for a reasonably priced replacement
Jake Raby @ Flat6 - This would be where I would go if I was keeping the car. You are pretty much guaranteed a bulletproof engine. But, wait might be up to a year, and if you are on a budget, this is not for you
Sell your car AS IS - With the 996 C4s, that is what I finally ended up doing. If you arent going to keep the car for a long time after repair, then this may be your best option.

I would not recommend a used engine. You can pay a lot for one, and then have problems after spending thousands on install. Randys engines at Whaletail were not a lot more than the used ones I was finding.

Good Luck!
Old 03-12-2015, 12:01 AM
halo777
Rennlist Member

Hartech's prices are listed here...

http://www.hartech.org/porsche_996_9...ds_prices.html
Old 03-12-2015, 12:05 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 582 Likes on 349 Posts

don't forget ebsRacing in vegas as well. im pretty sure adam used them for his rebuild...but with the dollar what it is shipping to usa will not help if your finances are super tight in this area.

i would listen to halo's advice re avoiding the used engine route. ive seen people buy and install the engine's only to realize that they were blown.

bogdan i am very sorry this happned, did you not just get the car? i could have sworn i recall you getting the car roughly a year ago.

- no cpo warranty????
- was your car winter driven?
Old 03-12-2015, 12:07 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 582 Likes on 349 Posts

*gulp*

Originally Posted by halo777
Hartech's prices are listed here...

http://www.hartech.org/porsche_996_9...ds_prices.html
btw bogdan what engine oil were you running?

Last edited by myw; 03-12-2015 at 10:51 AM.
Old 03-12-2015, 12:35 AM
halo777
Rennlist Member

Dont rule out the option of selling your car AS IS.

With the US exchange rate, you might be able to get a very good price for it by selling to a US buyer.

Try and get the USD/CAD exchange rate to work for you, not against you
Old 03-12-2015, 03:25 PM
BogdanR
Instructor

Thank you guys for the good word! I'm planning on keeping this car if I can. I love, LOVE it. I guess I'm that dumb, aren't I ?

The car was bought a year ago, and it was my exhilarating daily driver. All was good till the record setting February we had. I don't blame anybody really, I should have allowed the car to warm up more than around 2 minutes before setting back for the evening commute. Mornings were no issue I believe as the car was in the garage. And no , no CPO on the car.

This is still a developing story...
Old 03-12-2015, 04:02 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 115 Posts

Anything aftermarket? ECU tune etc? I've heard those can wreak havoc vs. the factory programming.

Hope it all works out -- I know how cold Feb was in Toronto... Good luck!
Old 03-12-2015, 05:34 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

I'm having problems looking at these numbers.... Wow. I'm going to go hug my car.

http://www.mbmotorsportsrepair.com/items-for-sale.html
Old 03-12-2015, 05:46 PM
halo777
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
I'm having problems looking at these numbers.... Wow. I'm going to go hug my car.

http://www.mbmotorsportsrepair.com/items-for-sale.html
Be careful with the company. I am not sure they are reputable...

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...l#post11914047
Old 03-12-2015, 06:10 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

Be careful with the company. I am not sure they are reputable...

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...l#post11914047
It was just a google search.

I do have my own indy. He does lots of work for me. Don't know if I'd trust him with a five figure rebuild. I am sure he would do it right, don't know if he would step up, or be able to step up again, if things went wrong.
Thus not speaking up for him...
Old 04-03-2015, 03:14 PM
BogdanR
Instructor

Unhappy my 997 is now gone.

My car has been with Pfaff ever since this issue started. I have nothing but good words to say about them. They even managed to get Porsche on board with getting a new engine on my behalf (30k worth) but at the end of the day, it was still a 19k repair.

Maybe I could have fix it but my wife said that if we're putting this kind of money into a vehicle, it should be one fitting the whole family. It's hard to argue with an argument like this so I've traded my ailing 997 to a 2011 Cayenne S with all the bells and whistles and CPO. Picking up next week...

Again Pfaff was willing to work with me in getting a good value for both my ailing 997 and its replacement. I got an extremely fair deal, contrary to all the advice I got from colleagues and friends who said I'll get raped by the dealer. Pfaff also had a complimentary Cayenne for me to drive around for a whole month.

In the end it seems having a good relationship with a good dealer pays off...

When I went to pick up my things from my 997 I've sat in it for the last time and had tears in my eyes. I'm not sure I'll be able to ever afford another 911... we'll see maybe I'll win the lottery or something...
Old 04-03-2015, 03:24 PM
BogdanR
Instructor

Originally Posted by SpeedyD
Anything aftermarket? ECU tune etc? I've heard those can wreak havoc vs. the factory programming.

Hope it all works out -- I know how cold Feb was in Toronto... Good luck!
Yes, some aftermarket stuff in it. The previous owner had Bilsteins, tinting, Tooki and great Techart trim installed. I've also got 19" Fuchs with it which now are for sale.

On the engine side the car had Fabspeed intake and tailpipe tips, IPD plenum, GIAC software and Pfaff sport exhaust...

If I'm honest I tend to believe it was the combination of ECU performance tune with -25°C starts that killed it but the jury is still out on this one.
Old 04-03-2015, 03:55 PM
halo777
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BogdanR
My car has been with Pfaff ever since this issue started. I have nothing but good words to say about them. They even managed to get Porsche on board with getting a new engine on my behalf (30k worth) but at the end of the day, it was still a 19k repair.

Maybe I could have fix it but my wife said that if we're putting this kind of money into a vehicle, it should be one fitting the whole family. It's hard to argue with an argument like this so I've traded my ailing 997 to a 2011 Cayenne S with all the bells and whistles and CPO. Picking up next week...

Again Pfaff was willing to work with me in getting a good value for both my ailing 997 and its replacement. I got an extremely fair deal, contrary to all the advice I got from colleagues and friends who said I'll get raped by the dealer. Pfaff also had a complimentary Cayenne for me to drive around for a whole month.

In the end it seems having a good relationship with a good dealer pays off...
Good to hear they treated you well, and you got a deal on a new car you are happy with.

Originally Posted by BogdanR
When I went to pick up my things from my 997 I've sat in it for the last time and had tears in my eyes. I'm not sure I'll be able to ever afford another 911... we'll see maybe I'll win the lottery or something...
Did you really start crying when you sat in the car?

Pics, or it didnt happen
Old 04-03-2015, 04:44 PM
BogdanR
Instructor

Good to hear they treated you well, and you got a deal on a new car you are happy with.

Did you really start crying when you sat in the car?

Pics, or it didnt happen
Yes, selfie with a teary eye in 997... not gonna happen...
OTOH I had tears in my eyes 3 times when we watched WALL-E... :-)
And no I don't have any pics of that either...

I grow attached to things and my 997 was nothing short of spectacular to own and drive every day for a year...

The deal is good indeed and Pfaff came thru but the only happy people are my wife and my in-laws... I'm VERY sad...

Quick Reply: Urgent... Good indie in Toronto/ GTA?