Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2021, 10:28 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,567 Likes on 941 Posts

Originally Posted by __ Charley __
Hi Guys!

Here is my experience. I had the hesitation and stumble problem. 991.1 4s. Stumble at around 2500 rpm even on the cruse control. On our cars there are 4 solenoid. 2 for the cams and 2 for the valves. I changed 1 cam and 1 valve cylinder 4-5-6. PROBLEM FIXED!! Have these solenoid checked I'm sure that's the answer to the stumble and hesitation!
​​
Can you provide the part numbers? And what was checked? My engine does not throw any codes per my Durametric... but I can read a ton of live values. What should I be looking for?

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)
Old 09-02-2021, 10:42 PM
__ Charley __
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Initially I had no error code only hesitation and stumble around 2500 rpm with a very slight demand for power. I had two check engine episodes (in one year) with the codes P2103 and U0418 but they cleared on their own after a few kilometers. Then the stumble increased and I had several 4-5-6 side missfires. My mechanic interchanged the cam solenoids and the problem went to the 1-2-3 side. The problem was 80% resolved but there was still something to be resolved. So he changed the lift valve solenoid and it's perfect. It seems that the two solenoid work in complementarity and that one can work for the other. In my case, both were to be changed ... I believe that the solenoids can be checked by manipulating them ... They should make a noise confirming that they are not obstructed.

Last edited by __ Charley __; 09-02-2021 at 10:44 PM.
Old 09-03-2021, 12:15 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by __ Charley __
Initially I had no error code only hesitation and stumble around 2500 rpm with a very slight demand for power. I had two check engine episodes (in one year) with the codes P2103 and U0418 but they cleared on their own after a few kilometers. Then the stumble increased and I had several 4-5-6 side missfires. My mechanic interchanged the cam solenoids and the problem went to the 1-2-3 side. The problem was 80% resolved but there was still something to be resolved. So he changed the lift valve solenoid and it's perfect. It seems that the two solenoid work in complementarity and that one can work for the other. In my case, both were to be changed ... I believe that the solenoids can be checked by manipulating them ... They should make a noise confirming that they are not obstructed.
I never had a code thrown relating to this issue. I wonder if it is the same thing. Others I communicated with did not have a code either. Still could be these valves.... I always suspected them. I did just go ahead and replace the ones located next to the spark plugs and had no difference... but I could not get to the ones located higher up on the engine. I will have to dig into the Durametric software to see if I can activate those valves with my laptop.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 09-03-2021 at 12:17 AM.
Old 09-03-2021, 09:03 AM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

When my vvs went I had misfires on 1,3,5 cylinders as the solenoid was stuck in the high rev position and did not return back to the idle position. The car idled like crap but ran fine above 2500rpm.
Old 09-04-2021, 01:49 PM
__ Charley __
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Somemone know if the solenoid cam or valve lift can be monitor or test if they work properly before they throw code or missfire occured?
Old 02-28-2022, 02:41 PM
nveeser
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Same question again - does anyone know what value to watch in Durametric / PIWIS to check how well the Cam sensor / solenoids are working?

I am getting codes where the entire bank 2 is running rich and stumbling at idle - wonder if this might be the VVS having trouble with a bad sensor or solenoid
The following users liked this post:
Ducaiti999 (03-10-2022)
Old 02-28-2022, 06:25 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nveeser
Same question again - does anyone know what value to watch in Durametric / PIWIS to check how well the Cam sensor / solenoids are working?

I am getting codes where the entire bank 2 is running rich and stumbling at idle - wonder if this might be the VVS having trouble with a bad sensor or solenoid
I replaced the actuator VVS to no affect. It is stupid easy to do... they sit one on each bank next to the spark plugs. Just plug and play.

I don't know how to check the Durametric for lift actuation. I have read that any failure of these will throw a code. Beyond that, I can't help.

Peace
Old 03-10-2022, 11:37 PM
Ducaiti999
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
I replaced the actuator VVS to no affect. It is stupid easy to do... they sit one on each bank next to the spark plugs. Just plug and play.

I don't know how to check the Durametric for lift actuation. I have read that any failure of these will throw a code. Beyond that, I can't help.

Peace

Question. I've been driving myself crazy trying to figure this out. Do you have the part number for the VVS you changed? Location on the engine? And as I understand it this solenoid does NOT require locking the cam. Is that correct? The other solenoid does require locking the cams?

Just to confirm. These are the solenoids not the cam sensor? I did swap my cam sensors, they are located in the valve cover next to the plugs. I thought the solenoid was on top of the head.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Ducaiti999; 03-10-2022 at 11:40 PM.
Old 03-10-2022, 11:59 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,601 Likes on 4,197 Posts

Originally Posted by Ducaiti999
Question. I've been driving myself crazy trying to figure this out. Do you have the part number for the VVS you changed? Location on the engine? And as I understand it this solenoid does NOT require locking the cam. Is that correct? The other solenoid does require locking the cams?

Just to confirm. These are the solenoids not the cam sensor? I did swap my cam sensors, they are located in the valve cover next to the plugs. I thought the solenoid was on top of the head.

Thanks in advance
These are the ones for my 997.1. They're located between the coil packs. Snapshot from my FCPEuro order from a couple years ago.

Ducaiti999 (03-11-2022)
Old 03-11-2022, 12:07 AM
Ducaiti999
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petza914
These are the ones for my 997.1. They're located between the coil packs. Snapshot from my FCPEuro order from a couple years ago.

Ok. That helps. I have a 991.1 so different configuration. But on yours, no cam locking required?

Thanks
Old 03-11-2022, 12:16 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Ok. That helps. I have a 991.1 so different configuration. But on yours, no cam locking required?

Thanks
Don't need to lock the cams to do the solenoids, just the tensioners.
Ducaiti999 (03-11-2022)
Old 03-11-2022, 12:18 AM
Ducaiti999
Rennlist Member

Don't need to lock the cams to do the solenoids, just the tensioners.
Ok. That's great information. I'll do a search on locking the tensioners. Do you have any information on how to do that?

Thanks
Old 03-11-2022, 12:21 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Ok. That's great information. I'll do a search on locking the tensioners. Do you have any information on how to do that?

Thanks
Sorry, I confused you. You only need to lock the cams when replacing the timing chain tensioners. You don't have to lock the cams when replacing these variocam actuators. Just unscrew them and replace.
The following 2 users liked this post by Petza914:
Ducaiti999 (03-11-2022), Floyd540 (03-12-2022)
Old 03-11-2022, 12:27 AM
Ducaiti999
Rennlist Member

Sorry, I confused you. You only need to lock the cams when replacing the timing chain tensioners. You don't have to lock the cams when replacing these variocam actuators. Just unscrew them and replace.
Good news there. Im amazed at how hard it is to get information on this. I assume the 991.1 engine is the same situation. I've done just about everything else. Except variocam solenoid and injectors. My idle stumble is definitely getting worse and my bank 2 fuel trims are being wacky. For all the tech in this car it's amazing this idle issue affects so many units and no clear way to test for possible defective parts.

I really appreciate your insight here.

Thanks again
Old 03-11-2022, 01:18 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Good news there. Im amazed at how hard it is to get information on this. I assume the 991.1 engine is the same situation. I've done just about everything else. Except variocam solenoid and injectors. My idle stumble is definitely getting worse and my bank 2 fuel trims are being wacky. For all the tech in this car it's amazing this idle issue affects so many units and no clear way to test for possible defective parts.

I really appreciate your insight here.

Thanks again
Can't say if the 997.1 port injection engine and the 991 DFI motors are that similar, but maybe the variocam stuff is similar enough. I don't think the variocam actuators.will effect fuel trims if that's your primary symptom. Sounds like you have a vacuum leak on that bank.

Check your bank 1 and bank 2 camshaft deviations too. Variability there is more likely the variocam solenoids.
Ducaiti999 (03-11-2022)

Quick Reply: Anyone Replace Variocam Actuator?