Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 GTS worth the premium?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2015 | 08:50 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by beden1
They made the 997.2 Carrera GTS in Guards Red, and in the case with my car, without the centerlock wheels. Have you driven the S and GTS back-to-back to compare the two, as I'm not sure that I totally agree with your assessment.
Yes I do realize some GTS were made in non-black/silver/white colors. But very very few. Looked on eBay and Auto Trader just now... 27 GTS's listed, one red Cabrio - rest black, silver or white.

Yes I did drive them back to back. At Thunderhill last March, 3 mile loop. PDK Coupe vs PDK Coupe. To be fair my car (at left) has a center muffler delete (minus 18 pounds) and widebody rear rims.

We can disagree on some of this Beden... it's just a forum discussion... all good!!!...

Last edited by golfnutintib; 03-01-2015 at 12:19 AM.
Old 02-28-2015 | 10:14 PM
RacingJunkie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
Well, thanks (I think). I'd have been happy with GR but I promised my daughter she could pick out the color - although not giving her any guidance cost me an extra $5,500 for PTS - that'll teach me (but it was money well spent). (I'm hoping that the 997.2 GTS turns out to be a niche car like the 964 RS America - not as an investment but just to have something that, aside from color, isn't very common - only 2,656 coupes were made for world-wide distribution.)
Even the GR is rare. Love the Yellow that CT944 has, that is the only Yellow GTS I have seen.
Old 02-28-2015 | 10:18 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
My take on GTS vs Carrera S in 997.2 models...

Widebody *** on rear drive GTS is THE main advantage

LSD standard on GTS is a secondary advantage (you don't find LSD's often on CS's...yes there is aftermarket for this...and conventional wisdom is factory LSD is weak)
LSD is not standard on the 997 GTS.
Old 02-28-2015 | 11:18 PM
mdrums
Race Director

I'd like to make some corrections on a few things:

LSD was not standard on GTS...you had to order it sepertate or get the sport PASM for LSD.

Center Locks are not a performance part for track rat GT3. Center Locks are a marketing idea from Porsche trying to be different. They offer no performance advantage for GT3's. They are different and can be a pain until you get use to them. There are plenty of wheels on market for GTS....any Trubo or GT3RS wheels will fit and lots of,choices out there.

GTS was offered in Carrera colors

I do not see your stated $20-25k price difference from C2S cars. I've been researching as I'm getting ready to list my GTS later this summer/fall...I wish this was true. ;-)

A GTS has more than 1% performance advantage than a CS.

I can tell you hate the GTS but as someone who's owned both a 09 Carrera S with the standard 9a1 w/PdK and a GTS w/PDK and driven them plenty I fell I can tell the differences.

The GTS is the pinnacle of the Carrera series.

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
My take on GTS vs Carrera S in 997.2 models...

Widebody *** on rear drive GTS is THE main advantage

LSD standard on GTS is a secondary advantage (you don't find LSD's often on CS's...yes there is aftermarket for this...and conventional wisdom is factory LSD is weak)

Centerlocks are a HUGE disadvantage -- total PITA, and limits choices of wheels, really doesn't belong on this car at all...this is not a track rat GT3, so let's be real...

Limited color choices are a significant, secondary disadvantage - only white would appeal to me...silver and black are not right for any purportedly 'performance-oriented' 911 IMHO

$20-25K price difference is a disadvantage, so does it pay for the rarity that is cared about by hardcore Porschephiles (99.87% of the drivers out there could give a sh-t)? Each of us would need to decide. Resale differential after a few more years not really significant.

Power difference is negligible. If you use the car in a way in which such a minor HP bump at redline makes a real difference to you, you should be in a GT3 anyway.

OP said 90-10 road/track car. A good PDK CS with the right tires would provide 99% the performance of a GTS, maybe 100%. The rest are intangibles such as pride of ownership/rarity etc etc.

Last edited by mdrums; 02-28-2015 at 11:34 PM.
Old 02-28-2015 | 11:45 PM
sambb
Instructor

well said mdrums.

i certainly didn't pay 20k more than an s.
Old 02-28-2015 | 11:49 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums
I'd like to make some corrections on a few things:

LSD was not standard on GTS...you had to order it sepertate or get the sport PASM for LSD.

Center Locks are not a performance part for track rat GT3. Center Locks are a marketing idea from Porsche trying to be different. They offer no performance advantage for GT3's. They are different and can be a pain until you get use to them. There are plenty of wheels on market for GTS....any Trubo or GT3RS wheels will fit and lots of,choices out there.

GTS was offered in Carrera colors

I do not see your stated $20-25k price difference from C2S cars. I've been researching as I'm getting ready to list my GTS later this summer/fall...I wish this was true. ;-)

I can tell you hate the GTS but as someone who's owned both a 09 Carrera S with the standard 9a1 w/PdK and a GTS w/PDK and driven them plenty I fell I can tell the differences.

The GTS is the pinnacle of the Carrera series.
Mike, I stand corrected on LSD as standard kit for the GTS as well as the colors offered by PAG when specified, as matters of fact. Thank you.

However, also a matter of fact is how many non-white, or silver/gray, or black GTS's are actually out there. Please have a look on eBay and on AutoTrader...I did. 26 out of 27 listings are white, silver/gray or black. Lone exceptions I am aware of are one red Cabrio and the yellow coupe on this board. (I'd like to buy a well kept, low miles Guards Red GTS 2wd coupe, without centerlocks, and with sport PASM preferably ...$80k cash in hand... can you point me to one?)

.2 CS's are asking high $50's to mid $60's... GTS's are asking high $70's to high $80's... yes they are just asking prices.

Rest is a matter of opinion. Mine can be different than yours, yes? I don't hate any Porsche car, much less a GTS, which I admire (and have driven, on road and on track as well, although I would think you are a better driver than me)... GTS is the only way to get a wide *** on a 2WD 997 gen car (RS excepted of course) ...I am just discussing my take here, as my first words in my post clearly stated, in response to the OP's query...

"GTS is the Pinnacle of Carrera series"... of course it is (especially since you have one... ). I am not attacking your choice of a GTS any more than you need to defend it. What we are discussing here are the tangible differences between a GTS and a CS -- the degree of actual performance vs. image enhancement in what defines 'Pinnacle'.

Cheers!

Last edited by golfnutintib; 03-01-2015 at 03:29 AM.
Old 03-01-2015 | 12:03 AM
robh75
Instructor

So what would you estimate the % performance difference to be?

Purely from the numbers it seems practically same but I am very curious to learn drivers of both point of view, as I had recently thought of potential upgrade to GTS at some point. I certainly won't be able to discern very small levels of performance difference on a test drive.
Old 03-01-2015 | 12:16 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by robh75
So what would you estimate the % performance difference to be?

Purely from the numbers it seems practically same but I am very curious to learn drivers of both point of view, as I had recently thought of potential upgrade to GTS at some point. I certainly won't be able to discern very small levels of performance difference on a test drive.
It's more than just more HP. The way the 9A1 with the power kit feels in the higher rpm's...it seems to want to rev easier and feels nicer up there. Also with the wide body the car is a little more stable at track out under full power for example.

Also it's been mentioned that the GTS is the only way to,get a rwd wide body....not so...the GT3RS is also a rwd wide body
Old 03-01-2015 | 12:39 AM
robh75
Instructor

It's more than just more HP. The way the 9A1 with the power kit feels in the higher rpm's...it seems to want to rev easier and feels nicer up there
Nice, will have to see if I can test that out at some point.
Old 03-01-2015 | 12:54 AM
scorcherjf
Racer

Originally Posted by Maxhouse97
For a 90/10 street/DE car that I can pick up the kids from daycare with, would a GTS with $0 to spend in safety/track mods, or a C2S with 15k in mods be better?
Well I think you need to elaborate on what you mean by "better." A C2S with 15k in suspension mods will certainly lap faster than a bone stock GTS unless you plan to only hit the drag strip. However, the more extreme you go with your suspension setup, the worse it'll be for daily driving. If a stock C2S/GTS suspension already feels as firm as you would want to go on the street, then get the GTS and leave it be as its a great package out of the box.

Even if you only had $1500 to spend on tires, a good set of aggressive summer tires on a C2S would probably be quicker than a stock GTS on older mediocre tires. Also, 15k can pay for a lot of HPDE days... which would go a long way in terms of increasing driver skill and enjoyment of the car (not sure of your level).
Old 03-01-2015 | 01:13 AM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by scorcherjf
Well I think you need to elaborate on what you mean by "better." A C2S with 15k in suspension mods will certainly lap faster than a bone stock GTS unless you plan to only hit the drag strip. However, the more extreme you go with your suspension setup, the worse it'll be for daily driving. If a stock C2S/GTS suspension already feels as firm as you would want to go on the street, then get the GTS and leave it be as its a great package out of the box.

Even if you only had $1500 to spend on tires, a good set of aggressive summer tires on a C2S would probably be quicker than a stock GTS on older mediocre tires. Also, 15k can pay for a lot of HPDE days... which would go a long way in terms of increasing driver skill and enjoyment of the car (not sure of your level).
Agree wholeheartedly with what is stated above ^^^:

For a .2 CS OR GTS -- don't think you want to go any stiffer on the suspension than stock if you plan to DD the car. Even PASM in Normal is firm, especially in the rear. Not uncomfortable mind you, but definitely firm.

Regarding track performance, in order of importance, assuming OP's choice of GTS or CS:

1) Driver experience and skill
GAP
2) Tire compound, inflation pressures
BIG GAP
3) Track coilovers
HUGE GAP
4) Power train mods

One side note on #2 -- on the narrow body CS you CAN run the stock 997 wide body rims (with significantly less wheel offset) and get functionally a wider track AND more rubber on the tarmac... I do that on my CS...no issues
Old 03-01-2015 | 04:09 AM
UT911GTS
Instructor

Do your homework and you can find what your looking for. Got this CPO beauty for $71,400 with 20k miles. They're out they're!

Old 03-01-2015 | 08:22 AM
user 72902
Banned

The GTS is awesome and I'd love to own one. The only down side I could see to some and it would not apply to me is this. The GTS is the top of the line for the 997 series and always gets a heavy premium but suffers a bit when the next iteration is launched - ie the 991. I'm not suggesting there is no premium but buyers now weigh the cost/benefit between the top of the line older version versus an entry level newer model. This is more of an issue with those who turn cars over more frequently; I don't worry too much about the value of my car or what I have into it because it is a hobby.
Old 03-01-2015 | 08:39 AM
BrakingBad
Drifting

Just stating for the record; according to actual maths, the GTS has 6% more HP than a C2S/C4S.
Old 03-01-2015 | 09:11 AM
CT944
Drifting

golfnutintib, your avatar looks great, love the wheels, perfect offset.

Quick Reply: 997 GTS worth the premium?