Sponsored by:

997 GTS worth the premium?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 09:41 PM
Maxhouse97
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 26 Posts
Default 997 GTS worth the premium?

I am looking at a future 997.2 purchase. Would love to get a GTS, but is it worth the premium over a C2S? Seems like there is close to a 15-20k difference, which is a lot.

I am sure the aftermarket could make up for any performance difference, and the other goodies (e.g. wide hips) are not needs but wants.

For a 90/10 street/DE car that I can pick up the kids from daycare with, would a GTS with $0 to spend in safety/track mods, or a C2S with 15k in mods be better?
Old 02-27-2015, 10:06 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 925 Posts

Wow, what a question: "worth it?"

Porsche is the most profitable company on a per-car basis. In other words, dollar for dollar, you get less from Porsche than all other companies.

So... to answer your question, "Yes, it is worth it." I wanted my C2S, I paid for it, so yes, it was worth it.

A Porsche forum is not the place to ask such a whacky question.

But seriously..... the incremental price vs cost of the additional item gets way out of whack with Porsche options. Just nuts. But more to the point, what is your value system for performance? My C2S is way beyond my abilities and to spend more for more performance anything is just not on my budget radar. Honestly, I have an S simply because I got an amazing deal. I know this was not a straight answer to your question, but from the cheap seats, do you really need it?

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 02-27-2015, 10:14 PM
sambb
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no, not worth 15k premium
Old 02-27-2015, 10:40 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 572 Likes on 341 Posts

well said.

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Wow, what a question: "worth it?"

Porsche is the most profitable company on a per-car basis. In other words, dollar for dollar, you get less from Porsche than all other companies.

So... to answer your question, "Yes, it is worth it." I wanted my C2S, I paid for it, so yes, it was worth it.

A Porsche forum is not the place to ask such a whacky question.

But seriously..... the incremental price vs cost of the additional item gets way out of whack with Porsche options. Just nuts. But more to the point, what is your value system for performance? My C2S is way beyond my abilities and to spend more for more performance anything is just not on my budget radar. Honestly, I have an S simply because I got an amazing deal. I know this was not a straight answer to your question, but from the cheap seats, do you really need it?

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 02-27-2015, 10:55 PM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 271 Posts

Not worth it if you looking at buying used.
Old 02-27-2015, 10:56 PM
Maxhouse97
Rennlist Member

Sorry didn't mean to start a philosophical discussion ... I realize Porsches are expensive.

Just wanted to know from a practical perspective whether you would pay the premium and whether GTSs are slightly overpriced (they may come down with the 991 GTSs coming out). Same could be asked/said about the 987 Cayman R vs. Cayman S. Selling new they were not that different in price (when you consider options), but as used cars the gap between the two opens up very wide.

Last edited by Maxhouse97; 02-28-2015 at 09:09 AM.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:17 PM
beden1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, to me at least, the GTS is worth the premium over an S.

- Resale value will be higher as there are not many of them as compared to the S.
- Torque remains the same at 310 lb-ft but comes 200 rpm earlier at 4,200 rpm, compared with that on the S.
- Top Gear said: "Apart from having the 23 bonus bhp Powerkit option, which includes a freer-flowing sports exhaust system installed as standard, engines in the GTS also have a new variable intake setup. This substantially boosts mid-range torque, making driving at normal road speeds even more effortless than usual, which is useful. However, it also completely opens the engine's throat above 6,000rpm, unleashing a whole new banshee character to proceedings. So just when you think it's all over bar the shouting, the shouting starts, and you realise the GTS has only just begun. As the GTS is probably the best all-round balance of price, performance and comfort in the whole of the 911 Carrera range. It's not as showy and raw as the GT3, or as humdrum as the regular 911s. It's a near-perfect blend of show and go."
- I am so satisfied that I have a GTS that I have no desire at this point to drive anything else. I already know that I didn't want the GT3 or the S. I also did not want a turbo anything as I much prefer high revving NA engines.

I came from my last car which was an '09 C6 Z06. My first thought was to get a GT3. I test drove one and decided the suspension setup was too unforgiving for my local roads and back country roads driving. I test drove an S and decided it didn't have enough road feel or get up and go. A Porsche salesman I've known for years suggested I look for a new GTS that may still be available at a few Porsche dealers. Their dealership did not have any in stock. I found one, took an extensive test drive, and the dealer let me take it home overnight and bring it back at the end of the next day. To me, it felt like a perfect balance of what I was looking for.

Personally, I would not buy a used car that was modified, and I would especially not buy a modified Porsche. IMO, you would lose the difference between a comparable used S, which would also make the resale value that much greater between the S and the GTS a few years from now.

Last edited by beden1; 02-28-2015 at 02:10 AM.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:31 PM
robh75
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by beden1
Personally, I would not buy a used car that was modified, and I would especially not buy a modified Porsche. IMO, you would lose the difference between a comparable used S, which would also make the resale value that much greater between the S and the GTS a few years from now.
Yep, I would agree with this from a resale perspective. I think it comes down to do you want to modify and "make it yours" if that provides you an enhanced sense of ownership joy, etc. This would not be a financial reason, though.

Honestly when buying anything more than a base (except the very limited editions which may appreciate or depreciate far less), the premium paid for such (relatively) small increases in performance on an already stellar car is "not worth it" from a financial standpoint.
Old 02-28-2015, 12:45 AM
crossroads
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Kind of a loaded question as the C2S guys will say buy a C2S and the GTS guys will say buy a GTS. With that said, when I was deciding between an S and a GTS, I asked myself if I bought the S would I regret not going for the GTS. And the answer was yes; so I bit the bullet and got the GTS.
Old 02-28-2015, 01:35 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Aftermarket can't make up the engine performance difference for the price...Porsche also builds a lot of reliability into the hp increase plus the way the power kit revs and holds power up at the top is more than just a hp spike increase that a lot of aftermarket bolt on only claim to give you.
Read the February Panorama issue about the GTS.
Old 02-28-2015, 01:37 AM
BrakingBad
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 67 Posts

From a strictly dollar perspective I'd say you're getting what you pay for...

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...Code=997238per

For me, it was about the options I wanted in my Porsche. I would have loved the extra 23hp in the GTS but the black one I saw didn't tighten my pants nearly as much as my Aqua Blue C4S. I don't regret not buying the GTS at all but, it really is a personal choice for everyone.
Old 02-28-2015, 03:58 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 762 Posts

Originally Posted by BrakingBad
From a strictly dollar perspective I'd say you're getting what you pay for...

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...Code=997238per

For me, it was about the options I wanted in my Porsche. I would have loved the extra 23hp in the GTS but the black one I saw didn't tighten my pants nearly as much as my Aqua Blue C4S. I don't regret not buying the GTS at all but, it really is a personal choice for everyone.
+ 1
Old 02-28-2015, 09:23 AM
Maxhouse97
Rennlist Member

Thanks all. Resale value is not as much of a concern to me. However the point brought up about modifying is valid and known. Arguments either way.

The most compelling argument for me to swallow the premium would be the free revving nature of the engine. These days with a gazillion hp engines, I value the character of an engine much more than outright power. But can you recreate that character on an S with a LWFW, exhaust and SW for much less? Back to the modding question...

It is interesting to see how the market will react in the next year or two. 991 C2Ss are already in the 80s, 997.1 GT3s there as well (with mileage), and brand new GT4s starting there. Will the GTS have staying power like the Mezger GT3s?
Old 02-28-2015, 10:36 AM
beden1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxhouse97
Thanks all. Resale value is not as much of a concern to me. However the point brought up about modifying is valid and known. Arguments either way.

The most compelling argument for me to swallow the premium would be the free revving nature of the engine. These days with a gazillion hp engines, I value the character of an engine much more than outright power. But can you recreate that character on an S with a LWFW, exhaust and SW for much less? Back to the modding question...

It is interesting to see how the market will react in the next year or two. 991 C2Ss are already in the 80s, 997.1 GT3s there as well (with mileage), and brand new GT4s starting there. Will the GTS have staying power like the Mezger GT3s?
I forgot to include the link to the Top Gear review of the 2012 Porsche Carrera GTS. Along with the expensive power pack, they discuss the other options included along with prices. I'd say, with all things considered, the $15,000 difference is a bargain.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/porsche/91...est/gts-driven
Old 02-28-2015, 11:22 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

The CarreraGTS is the pinnacle of the Carrera series.

Quick Reply: 997 GTS worth the premium?