Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sport Bucket vs Hardback Sport Seat

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015 | 01:57 PM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alexb76
How is it not clear? You SIT significantly lower, it's very hard to measure, as the back of the seat is lower than front and I can't measure from the back of the seat to the floor.

No measurement would help unless you go and sit in one. I did that before I bought mine. As I said, it's great for track but kinda hard to get in/out of the seats.
I think it was not clear, because technically '100' percent lower would be sitting on the carpet.
Old 03-03-2015 | 04:44 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JB 911
I think it was not clear, because technically '100' percent lower would be sitting on the carpet.
haha.. yes this is exactly what I was thinking.
Old 03-03-2015 | 05:03 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Language can suck. I've never known how something can be 3 times less. The same can apply to 100% lower. I was confused as well.
Old 03-05-2015 | 01:10 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Here are my Hardback Sport Seats measured at identical points as sandwedge's Sport Buckets

Both seats are set all the way to the lowest setting (closest to the floor) and all the way back.
I plumb bobbed one line from the headliner to the rear of the seat and another to the front of the seat.

Here are the measurements:

Sport Buckets
Rear of seat to headliner: 39.25"
Front of seat to headliner: 29.5"

Hardback Sport Seats:
Front of seat to headliner: 30"

They are basically the same height off the floor.
And now we know.

Last edited by nwGTS; 03-05-2015 at 01:38 PM.
Old 03-05-2015 | 01:17 PM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

How hard is it to get out of the GT2 seats? Bad idea for a daily driver?
Old 03-05-2015 | 01:29 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Johnny DB
By GT2 seats I'm going to assume you mean the Sport Buckets. Other members have anecdotally attributed difficulty in egress to the deeper bucket on the Sport Buckets compared to the Hardback Sport Seats. They are the same height from the floor as the Hardback Sport Seats as you can see. The deeper bucket on the Sport Buckets is a result not of a lower seat but of a higher side support to brace the hips and thighs in high-g cornering.

Egress involves moving one's legs over the side support before being able to exit the car. I've noticed this myself when I sat in another 997 equipped with Sport Buckets. So, I'll also assume that's the 'difficult' part to which others refer.

If you are in good health there is no reason why the minimal extra effort in egress with the Sport Buckets should prevent you from preferring them over the benefits of lateral support, weight savings, and five point harness support. The additional cost on the other hand.....
Old 03-05-2015 | 01:43 PM
BrakingBad
Drifting

Originally Posted by Johnny DB
Not hard at all really, you'll develop a method that works for you. Parking where you can fully open the door is a huge help. Some people like to slide the seat all the way back for entry/exit and slide them into position when they sit down.
Old 03-05-2015 | 02:05 PM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nwGTS
By GT2 seats I'm going to assume you mean the Sport Buckets. Other members have anecdotally attributed difficulty in egress to the deeper bucket on the Sport Buckets compared to the Hardback Sport Seats. They are the same height from the floor as the Hardback Sport Seats as you can see. The deeper bucket on the Sport Buckets is a result not of a lower seat but of a higher side support to brace the hips and thighs in high-g cornering.

Egress involves moving one's legs over the side support before being able to exit the car. I've noticed this myself when I sat in another 997 equipped with Sport Buckets. So, I'll also assume that's the 'difficult' part to which others refer.

If you are in good health there is no reason why the minimal extra effort in egress with the Sport Buckets should prevent you from preferring them over the benefits of lateral support, weight savings, and five point harness support. The additional cost on the other hand.....
Yes, I was referring to the GT2 Sport Buckets. Thanks for the input.
Old 03-05-2015 | 02:06 PM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BrakingBad
Not hard at all really, you'll develop a method that works for you. Parking where you can fully open the door is a huge help. Some people like to slide the seat all the way back for entry/exit and slide them into position when they sit down.
Door fully open will not be a problem as I have lots of room at work. Thanks for the tip.
Old 03-05-2015 | 03:44 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BrakingBad
I totally disagree. I am 6'2 and I find it hard to get in/out. Basically to sit in, you have to sit sideways first (feet out), then turn into driving position. What you said "parking where you can fully open" is absolutely right, and that's a big problem as it's quite difficult in tight spaces to do this...

So, as I said earlier, I have no idea WHY someone would want these seats if they don't track their car. I guess if it's going to be a weekend/track car, it's fine, but as a daily, it's absolutely more difficult. I have had the seats for 3yrs but use it only in summer, and as it's my daily I know how it works in real life.
Old 03-05-2015 | 04:11 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

I totally disagree. I am 6'2 and I find it hard to get in/out. Basically to sit in, you have to sit sideways first (feet out), then turn into driving position. What you said "parking where you can fully open" is absolutely right, and that's a big problem as it's quite difficult in tight spaces to do this...

So, as I said earlier, I have no idea WHY someone would want these seats if they don't track their car. I guess if it's going to be a weekend/track car, it's fine, but as a daily, it's absolutely more difficult. I have had the seats for 3yrs but use it only in summer, and as it's my daily I know how it works in real life.
Mine is a daily driver. Getting in and out is different but as with everything else that's different you develop a method and soon enough it becomes second nature and a non-event. And whether you track the car or not I think most will agree that the buckets add another level of connectivity with the car.
Old 03-05-2015 | 04:13 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nwGTS
Here are my Hardback Sport Seats measured at identical points as sandwedge's Sport Buckets

Both seats are set all the way to the lowest setting (closest to the floor) and all the way back.
I plumb bobbed one line from the headliner to the rear of the seat and another to the front of the seat.

Here are the measurements:

Sport Buckets
Front of seat to headliner: 29.5"

Hardback Sport Seats:
Front of seat to headliner: 30"

They are basically the same height off the floor.
And now we know.

This does NOT give you enough information, you must try the seats. Yes, if you lower regular seats to the bottom it maybe as low, BUT, the angle of your legs are different. I could never get my regular seats as low since then my legs would be too low to use the pedals comfortably, the buckets have a different angle, so while your butt is pretty low, your knees are higher, hence it still works and comfortable.
Old 03-05-2015 | 04:24 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Mine is a daily driver. Getting in and out is different but as with everything else that's different you develop a method and soon enough it becomes second nature and a non-event. And whether you track the car or not I think most will agree that the buckets add another level of connectivity with the car.
I second this!!! But it helps if you are relatively flexible.
Old 03-05-2015 | 04:34 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Absolutely! BUT, one has to try it. I've had a few folks try my seats on track days to see if they can get in/out, and I can tell you some literally needed help to get out... I had to hold one guy's hands and someone push him up to get out!!! So, it all depends.
Old 03-05-2015 | 10:58 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Absolutely! BUT, one has to try it. I've had a few folks try my seats on track days to see if they can get in/out, and I can tell you some literally needed help to get out... I had to hold one guy's hands and someone push him up to get out!!! So, it all depends.
Those in decent shape won't think anything of it after a few days of practice. No question anyone with mobility issues may have problems though.

Quick Reply: Sport Bucket vs Hardback Sport Seat