Sponsored by:

Short Shift Kit Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 04:12 PM
shardul
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Short Shift Kit Question

Is a short shift kit worth getting for a 997.1 Carerra S? Does I reduce the throw considerably?

If yes which one do you all recommend?

I see B&M and Agency Power ones for 300 and copies for 100

Last edited by shardul; 02-24-2015 at 05:39 PM.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:36 PM
iammulva
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with B&M kit. Installed it myself. I think there's several threads on the SSKs (B&M, Porsche, etc) and opinions. B&M is definitely noticeable, but like anything else, once you get accustomed to any change, you tend to forget what "it used to be like".

I would recommend the B&M shifter if you're shopping for one.

Edit: As a matter of fact, you're more than welcome to see it in person if you want. I'm near the Galleria.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:50 PM
halo777
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 74 Posts

I have the factory ssk installed on my C4s. I can't compare it to stock, because I bought the car with it installed. But, compared to a previous ssk I had installed on an Audi, this one feels really good.

It is not hard at all to find the gears with the ssk installed, and each engage with a precise feeling. There is not much effort needed to get it into the gear either.

Unlike my Audi, a weighted **** does not seem necessary with the ssk. I am using the stock carbon ****, and it feels fine.

I would highly recommend one and think it is a great mod for the relatively small cost. But, if you have the chance, try one out to see if you like it. I dont see why you wouldnt, but it is always best to try before you buy, if possible.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:35 PM
shardul
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by iammulva
I went with B&M kit. Installed it myself. I think there's several threads on the SSKs (B&M, Porsche, etc) and opinions. B&M is definitely noticeable, but like anything else, once you get accustomed to any change, you tend to forget what "it used to be like".

I would recommend the B&M shifter if you're shopping for one.

Edit: As a matter of fact, you're more than welcome to see it in person if you want. I'm near the Galleria.
thanks for the offer. I will PM you later on in the week to exchange contact info.

Originally Posted by halo777
I have the factory ssk installed on my C4s. I can't compare it to stock, because I bought the car with it installed. But, compared to a previous ssk I had installed on an Audi, this one feels really good.

It is not hard at all to find the gears with the ssk installed, and each engage with a precise feeling. There is not much effort needed to get it into the gear either.

Unlike my Audi, a weighted **** does not seem necessary with the ssk. I am using the stock carbon ****, and it feels fine.

I would highly recommend one and think it is a great mod for the relatively small cost. But, if you have the chance, try one out to see if you like it. I dont see why you wouldnt, but it is always best to try before you buy, if possible.
thanks for the review
Old 02-24-2015, 07:41 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

I installed a B&M short shifter in my '04 996. I really liked the shorter "throw" (front to back), but it felt a little too mechanical for me.

When I got my 2010 C2S I installed the Porsche short (sport) shifter. The feel is like the stock shifter, only shorter.

Here is a link to a post I made with measurements of the stock versus the Porsche short shifter.

Porsche Short Shifter

Having had both the B&M and Porsche short shifters, I prefer the Porsche short shifter.

Quick Reply: Short Shift Kit Question