Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why would someone badge a "Non-S" as an "S"?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 03:17 AM
Reefbreak
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why would someone badge a "Non-S" as an "S"?

Promised myself I'd get serious about a P-car purchase once I was back back on my feet financially after 4 years of unemployment.

Anyway, I've been amongst the "employed" again for two years now and even though Oahu is not the optimal locale to buy, nor drive, a sports car, I can't help but check out the limited options that occasionally pop up on da Island.

The 2008 997 below has been on the market for about two months at a Ford dealership that recently dropped the price by about $9k. Plenty of good info on Rennlist about how to check out the vehicle (much appreciated), but why would an owner badge a "Non-S" as an "S"? Tried a search but did not find any related posts. Might not be a big deal, but just curious and wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts. Any thoughts on the car would be a bonus.

Aloha...and thanks in advance.

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/ctd/4898793056.html
Old 02-23-2015, 08:07 AM
Linnm
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Badge engineering or "wanna be" perhaps
Old 02-23-2015, 08:19 AM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

why do they....put racing add ons....like racing motor mounts,racing floor mats,pedal,fire extinguisher ,racing belts/seats blah blah blah? on a cars that wont see a racetrack parking lot or will get smacked down by 20 year old corvettes ?
Old 02-23-2015, 08:28 AM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 172 Likes on 117 Posts

If ford dealer dropped price by 9k perhaps the answer is the seller was able to pass it off as a Carrera S to the ford dealer ;-)
Old 02-23-2015, 08:29 AM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 48 Posts

I don't know why anyone would do that but an 08 base with 35K miles for 35K is a really good deal. It has some nice options like PASM, illuminated door sills, power seats etc.
Get a PPI done by someone and if it all checks out buy it and remove the S badge. Go get a 911 badge in matte black and replace your current badge. See now you won't be a poser and you get to drive a 911 for Camry money
Old 02-23-2015, 08:35 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Gotta ask a BMW or Mercedes owner this question. They have much more experience in these matters.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 02-23-2015, 09:03 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,524 Likes on 956 Posts

I think it's ridiculous. Not sure why people do this...
Old 02-23-2015, 09:20 AM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Gotta ask a BMW or Mercedes owner this question. They have much more experience in these matters.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
It's funny but a coworker bought a used mercedes C300 last week. The badge on the back CLS300
Old 02-23-2015, 11:13 AM
thinklabinc
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree with getting the proper PPI, that will tell you more about what you need to know. The previous owner of my 4S went the opposite way and had placed his order with the Porsche delete model designation.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:43 AM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedyD
If ford dealer dropped price by 9k perhaps the answer is the seller was able to pass it off as a Carrera S to the ford dealer ;-)
This would be my guess too.

Aesthetically, it looks like an S (not that there is a lot of difference between a Base and S), particularly the exhaust tips. Stock, the "S" has round quad and the the Base has dual rectangular exhaust tips. And it even appears as if the cutouts for the quad tips are correct (hard to tell from pic). And if you go to this extreme you might also disguise the engine cowl/covering that may say "3.6" (Base) versus "3.8" (S). Being a Ford dealer though, maybe they just were not aware that all they need to do is check the VIN. In two seconds they would have noted the 5th letter is an "A" that designates the car a 997 Base, versus a "B" that would indicate that it is an "S" model.
Old 02-23-2015, 12:28 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 172 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
This would be my guess too.

Aesthetically, it looks like an S (not that there is a lot of difference between a Base and S), particularly the exhaust tips. Stock, the "S" has round quad and the the Base has dual rectangular exhaust tips. And it even appears as if the cutouts for the quad tips are correct (hard to tell from pic). And if you go to this extreme you might also disguise the engine cowl/covering that may say "3.6" (Base) versus "3.8" (S). Being a Ford dealer though, maybe they just were not aware that all they need to do is check the VIN. In two seconds they would have noted the 5th letter is an "A" that designates the car a 997 Base, versus a "B" that would indicate that it is an "S" model.
Never know, right? Someone could have done a trade-in for a new car, and the person assessing the amount they'd pay just looked at mileage, quick once-over, the badge and then checked fair prices and voila!

Wouldn't absolutely shock me that this could happen. That is a huge price cut on a car as a percentage of the price... and seems almost exactly in line with a "whoops" moment where some more astute customer pointed out they could be liable if they list it as a "S" model...

Who knows... again, pure speculation and I barely looked at the listing.
Old 02-23-2015, 01:20 PM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This car sounds like a deal.
Old 02-23-2015, 01:28 PM
Spinout
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Running the VIN through CarFax or Autochek will tell you whether it's a base or S model. The PO forgot to paint his calipers red as they are on the s models.
Old 02-23-2015, 02:20 PM
robh75
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Silly Ford dealer. I wonder if the PO is now liable to return the 9k or whatever.
Old 02-23-2015, 02:23 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedyD
Hard to believe a dealer could be taken in like that. While there could be an exception somebody at the dealer would have run the VIN, done some research, and would have known the badge was nonsense. Really, no car dealer worthy of the name is going to go by badges when working out a trade in deal.

I hate to say it but even if this happened some dealers would just leave the badge alone and while it might have dropped the price some I doubt it would drop it that much.

A big price drop is just not the way a dealer makes its money. This drop is probably just an attempt to move a car at a profit, albeit a small one, before the dealers turns the car over to an auction to unload. Trouble is in Hawaii the Porsche auction business is probably very small and the dealer is probably facing taking a bath on the car.

Thus my opinion is, that is my suspicion is besides the badge issue the car has other issues.

Quick Reply: Why would someone badge a "Non-S" as an "S"?